Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 05:49 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,708,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfab1986 View Post
I know I'm not going to get perfection and I'm willing to compromise. The commute itself I'm willing to increase the time if need be. The schools though, I can't really budge on that. I think we are spoiled for living in a town with one of the best school systems in the state and I really don't want to sacrifice anything in that area if I don't have to.

I'd be ok with looking into another townhouse since I do live in one now. My wife has family in the Sterling area that does commuting to DC everyday so at least we wouldn't be alone for a while. I'm just in the research phase at this point. I applied for the job and I'll go from there. If I got hired, I'd likely just move by myself and give it some time before putting my NJ up for sale and moving the rest of the family down. If for some reason I couldn't continue the job, I wouldn't want to be stuck.
So just to dig down a bit on this on the schools: when you are looking for the best school, what is your criteria?

For instance, let's say that Fairfax County Schools all have the same curriculum. Scores vary between all of their county schools because at, say, Langley High School in McLean, VA, 90% of the students families there are wealthy. Based on all their advantageous and private tutoring and life enrichment experiences, that school's scores and reputation is off the charts high. In West Springfield schools, scores are noticeably lower but the school teaches the same curriculum. But this school has a small percentage of kids who maybe have economic struggles, or they are from normal, upper middle class working families that aren't able to provide some of the stuff the parents at Langley can. But essentially, the same school. Does this sort of thing factor into your decision?

I ask it that way because *most* of the curriculum in *most* of the schools is the same in Northern VA but the variances you'll see come down to economic diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 01:40 PM

20 posts, read 21,641 times
South Arlington could be an option. Not sure the ages of your kids, but Patrick Henry Elementary is great. Gunston Middle is a hidden gem. You could find a small livable and decent fixer upper for 500K range. Location wise you would be in a rather quick commute to DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia