Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 08:46 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,588,271 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any recommendations for a highly experienced Mercedes Benz mechanic in the Loudoun area (preferably around Leesburg if possible)? Not just looking for a trained mechanic, but someone who really knows these cars by experience. Someone who could take one for a drive that has a vibration issue and be fairly confident of where the problem could be, instead of the boiler-plate dealer routine of "must be the tires, must be the brakes, must be anything that isn't covered by our warranty, so waste your money on replacing those first before we actually spend our time digging deeper for the actual problem". Even though when brought to them, the tires and the brakes were all brand new via MB OEM.

I get the "trained" aspect, and that's great. But sometimes the "experienced" is FAR more helpful. Those who aren't just trained to follow a script, but know from past experience that a certain noise or a certain vibration under certain conditions and variables, is likely caused by this or that, instead of "all of the above."

Plus, I really have little faith in dealerships anymore. Case in point - the car's actual manual states the lug nuts are to be torqued to 97lbs. Yet, every time I get the car back from the dealership, they're torqued from anywhere between 150lbs to 200lbs (excellent way to warp your rotors and damage your bearings over time). I'm just about convinced they do it to create more problems so they can have more business later...

Anyway, rant over. Anyone have an experienced german mechanic they could recommend?

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 10:19 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,673,758 times
I've heard good things about Silver Star. Planning to have my Benz serviced here next week.

Mercedes Benz Service and Repairs in Vienna, VA - Silver Star Motors Inc

Old 12-12-2017, 11:06 AM

Thank you for this EXCELLENT recommendation, lovely40!

I finally got around to taking mine over there this morning. What an excellent find!!! Even though mine is a CPO with full warranty coverage, the actual dealership here in Tysons has done such a horrible job servicing this vehicle, that I've actually called MB corporate in NJ to file a complaint.

A month ago I had it at the dealership for a vibration and groaning noise (and a few other minor issues). They had the car for a week! Came back to me with the diagnosis of two slightly bent rims. I've got a warranty policy to fix them for the next 5 years. So, they said they fixed them and billed the warranty company. 20 minutes later while driving the car home down the toll road, got it up to speed, and still vibrating and groaning. Sent them a text saying clearly not the wheels. They never responded.

On your recommendation, I took it to Silver Star this morning. Only one thing really wrong with the car......care to guess? Two bent rims......

So, it's going back to Bethesda to the original selling dealership next week to see if we can actually get them fixed. Clearly, the Tyson's dealership did not fix the rims, yet still charged the warranty company for the repair. Totally unethical, and I've complained to not only the dealership itself (which will likely fall on deaf ears), but to MB corporate and advised the warranty company to be cautious of this dealer from now on.

I was COMPLETELY impressed by Silver Star! Totally my kind of mechanic! From now on, they're my guys too!

Old 12-13-2017, 07:55 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,660,773 times
Hey, nC211, do they also do work on Audi's also? I'm looking for a place to get maintenance done without going to the dealerships and paying an arm and a leg.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:19 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,673,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Thank you for this EXCELLENT recommendation, lovely40!

I finally got around to taking mine over there this morning. What an excellent find!!! Even though mine is a CPO with full warranty coverage, the actual dealership here in Tysons has done such a horrible job servicing this vehicle, that I've actually called MB corporate in NJ to file a complaint.

A month ago I had it at the dealership for a vibration and groaning noise (and a few other minor issues). They had the car for a week! Came back to me with the diagnosis of two slightly bent rims. I've got a warranty policy to fix them for the next 5 years. So, they said they fixed them and billed the warranty company. 20 minutes later while driving the car home down the toll road, got it up to speed, and still vibrating and groaning. Sent them a text saying clearly not the wheels. They never responded.

On your recommendation, I took it to Silver Star this morning. Only one thing really wrong with the car......care to guess? Two bent rims......

So, it's going back to Bethesda to the original selling dealership next week to see if we can actually get them fixed. Clearly, the Tyson's dealership did not fix the rims, yet still charged the warranty company for the repair. Totally unethical, and I've complained to not only the dealership itself (which will likely fall on deaf ears), but to MB corporate and advised the warranty company to be cautious of this dealer from now on.

I was COMPLETELY impressed by Silver Star! Totally my kind of mechanic! From now on, they're my guys too!
Awesome!! Glad things turned out well.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Hey, nC211, do they also do work on Audi's also? I'm looking for a place to get maintenance done without going to the dealerships and paying an arm and a leg.
Sorry sonny, only MB's at this one. I asked the shop owner for my other car which is a VW that is ready for the DSG fluid change.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:06 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,904,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Sorry sonny, only MB's at this one. I asked the shop owner for my other car which is a VW that is ready for the DSG fluid change.
If Springfield/Lorton is not too far a drive, look into NGP for the VW service. They did all my maint (inc DSG) on my '10 JSW before I sold it back to VW.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
If Springfield/Lorton is not too far a drive, look into NGP for the VW service. They did all my maint (inc DSG) on my '10 JSW before I sold it back to VW.
Yep, know them well as I had my previous VW "flashed" with the APR tune several years ago. Anticipating making the trip down there in February to have my current VW flashed with the same, and maybe a few extra trinkets added on, since it's now more of a fun car than daily driver. NGP is a great shop!

(New German Performance)

Old 12-15-2017, 04:00 PM

707 posts, read 1,414,055 times
Next time go to the Mercedes Dealership in Arlington off Glebe rd. They were awesome when I went there for
service, always took care of me and had a mercedes loaner waiting without me asking. Highly recommend!

Old 12-16-2017, 02:12 PM

504 posts, read 1,215,802 times
Are you sure your wheel(s) are not bent? Might want to check them. I had a persistent vibration above 50mph and found out I had 2 (slightly) bent wheels.

For wheel repair, the ONLY place to go (even recommended by NGP) is Yer Old Tire Shop up near Fort Meade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia