Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 03:42 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,537,677 times

Advertisements

Not to disagree too much, but the RFP does indicate a mild preference for a "similar layout to Seattle campus."

To reiterate, this project has an astonishingly short time frame: they want up to a million square feet ready in 2019. Compare this to the TSA headquarters move, where the decision was just announced, the buildings are designed, the owner has credit, the construction docs are being done... and those offices will open in mid-2020. There is just not enough time to develop a plan from scratch that requires rezoning anywhere in this region -- maybe you could do that timeframe in Texas, but not here.

That timeline is also why other ideas I've seen out there just won't work. Potomac Yard can't be built out until the Metro station opens and the big-box leases expire, which is the 2020s. Buzzard Point is mostly slated for residential and doesn't even have bus service; Pepco has an active 58-acre facility at Benning Road (which is contaminated with PCBs). Arlington's existing Ballston sector plan says that the area is built-out for office, but can add more residential.

If Amazon does demand new construction, JBG has two options in Arlington that could be ready for Phase 1. These are one-half mile from one another:
A. PenPlace has 10 acres of empty land, behind the Whole Foods in Pentagon City, with an approved site plan for 2 MSF.
B. Site plans have been filed to redevelop two Crystal City office buildings (1900 Crystal and 223 23rd) as 1.35 MSF of new office and 350 apartments, in addition to the conversion of 1770 Crystal to apartments. (Perhaps an earlier plan to renovate 1770 Crystal as 250 KSF of office could be resurrected.)

Option A has more new space up front but less long-term expansion, Option B has less up-front but more options later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 09:06 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Smart or stupid for Fairfax/Loudoun to pitch CIT site at Dulles for Amazon over Tysons?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5001f376ccb0

Unless they've got some major incentives up their sleeves, I think this is Fairfax's own way of saying we don't want it that bad, but if you're gonna choose us your going to conform to the suburban campus with nearby rail option.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:16 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Smart or stupid for Fairfax/Loudoun to pitch CIT site at Dulles for Amazon over Tysons?

Unless they've got some major incentives up their sleeves, I think this is Fairfax's own way of saying we don't want it that bad, but if you're gonna choose us your going to conform to the suburban campus with nearby rail option.
Yeah, agreed.

I was surprised when I read this. I like Dulles but it's too far out and is typical upper class suburbia, not a bad thing but I think for HQ2 they're looking for something less cookie cutter and more walkable and lively - DC, Arlington or Tysons would be a far better choice.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:46 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,137 times
Quote:

I get it that they are trying to make sure that they meet all of the requirements including the 100 acres that is often overlooked. I think this proposal lacks in the charge to “think big” and “creatively”. This sorely lacks compared to Tysons in those areas.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:11 AM

540 posts, read 790,309 times
Seems like a white flag to me. Maryland is probably a better bet.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:24 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
I certainly have mixed feelings about this and read a NYT piece on their horrible boiler room working environment, about a year ago.

However, under no circumstances will they go to Richmond or Ohio. DC, Boston, and Denver are the strongest candidates IMO. Amazon isn't solely motivated by low wages, or else they would move their existing HQ in Seattle to Dayton. They need a large metro area with a large pool of educated tech workers and their rfp specifies public transit. Where in Ohio provides this?
Indian tech workers can come to Ohio just as easily as they can come to Virginia. You don't think these jobs will be going to Americans do you?

Old 10-15-2017, 09:25 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,288,748 times
Fairfax County Times is reportinf a joint bid with Fairfax and Loudoun going in together proposing the Innovative Technology site.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:45 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
Fairfax County Times is reportinf a joint bid with Fairfax and Loudoun going in together proposing the Innovative Technology site.
There is a lot happening adjacent to the site affecting several hundred acres.

1. The Hub, formerly known as Dulles World Center
2. Waterside new town, formerly the Loudoun Rock Quarry
3. Dulles Station and Dulles Corner high-rise projects on the opposite side of the metro station

Old 10-16-2017, 07:45 AM

529 posts, read 750,223 times
Quote:

I think this will be good. Think about technology workers travelling to DC,MD, Arlington/Tysons from Ashburn/Leesburg/Chantilly/South Riding/Aldie etc.

If this HQ2 comes to Dulles, it would benefit lot of these people. In turn would ease the traffic too.

But a drawback would be that lot more people from other parts of the country will move to already over populated NoVA.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:50 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,315,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
I think this will be good. Think about technology workers travelling to DC,MD, Arlington/Tysons from Ashburn/Leesburg/Chantilly/South Riding/Aldie etc.

If this HQ2 comes to Dulles, it would benefit lot of these people. In turn would ease the traffic too.

But a drawback would be that lot more people from other parts of the country will move to already over populated NoVA.
What?

You do understand that Ashburn/Leesburg/Chantilly etc is not where Amazon will be pulling the majority of their employees from right? They will be coming from DC / Arlington / Maryland, and yes some from Fairfax. Putting it all the way out in Dulles, is going to make it far less likely for people to take metro to it because many will have to go from one end of the line to the other end of the line. This will increase traffic. It would have been better to put it in Tysons/Arlington/DC or Silver Spring/Bethesda. That or remove it from the area all together and put it in Richmond or Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia