Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 09:40 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times

Advertisements

I've read that DC, Arlington, and even Loudoun County are going to bid for the spot but can't find anything from Fairfax.

Not saying they can get it, but landing it in a place like Tysons would really strengthen plans to turn it into a real city. It already has metro access, a ton of office space, and the office market is weak.

Would you want it here? There would be a significant impact on both congestion and property values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 03:00 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
When you read the requirements for the bid proposal from Amazon (google it, you'll find it), Loudoun and Fairfax are spot-on for every single key request. Especially the international airport (Dulles), space, and deep tech-savy local talent pool. Add in the fact that Bezos himself recently bought one the biggest homes in all of DC earlier this year, setting up shop with the Washington Post, and has quietly made some land deals of old Washington Post distributions centers around the city already, one could argue that he's setting up shop in general in the DMV MSA. Loudoun is a great fit specifically, given the untold amount of development potential, heavy data center locations that are ever increasing and enhancing digital communication capacity throughout, and the old AOL HQ influence already here. Other wish-list item is public transportation infrastructure (hello Silver Line). Everything Amazon is asking for, is so easily here in the DC region, I can't see it being anywhere else to be honest.

I have a sneaking suspicion this whole bid process is more of a ploy to motivate VA or MD to roll out the red carpet on tax incentives. My gut just tells me that Bezos already knows where he wants it...

Old 09-10-2017, 02:42 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
The same company that went to court to avoid laying employees while they were required to be screened for theft? They are all about low wages, and they have had to pay for most of their growth, including this computer (paid for Amazon CC application). Richmond would make more sense, but Ohio would beat both. Fry's Electronics moved their fulfilment center to OH. The Kalorama house was more like a yacht purchase, and I doubt he wanted to use the new Trump Hotel. Smart man, highly successful, good place to save money shopping, but when you have seen first hand how they really operate, you won't be so enthusiastic. AOL? Bwahahaha.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:24 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
A lot of cities have put their names in the hat but I think it'll truly come down to: Austin, Dallas, DC/Nothern VA, NY/NJ, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago and Denver.

I saw somewhere that VA Beach is thinking about applying but smaller metro areas won't be able to offer the same tax incentives as larger metro areas. Also places like Boston, Denver and DC have a higher educated workforce which was one of the prerequisites. It'll be interesting to see who they choose.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
The same company that went to court to avoid laying employees while they were required to be screened for theft? They are all about low wages, and they have had to pay for most of their growth, including this computer (paid for Amazon CC application). Richmond would make more sense, but Ohio would beat both. Fry's Electronics moved their fulfilment center to OH. The Kalorama house was more like a yacht purchase, and I doubt he wanted to use the new Trump Hotel. Smart man, highly successful, good place to save money shopping, but when you have seen first hand how they really operate, you won't be so enthusiastic. AOL? Bwahahaha.
I certainly have mixed feelings about this and read a NYT piece on their horrible boiler room working environment, about a year ago.

However, under no circumstances will they go to Richmond or Ohio. DC, Boston, and Denver are the strongest candidates IMO. Amazon isn't solely motivated by low wages, or else they would move their existing HQ in Seattle to Dayton. They need a large metro area with a large pool of educated tech workers and their rfp specifies public transit. Where in Ohio provides this?

Old 09-10-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
When you read the requirements for the bid proposal from Amazon (google it, you'll find it), Loudoun and Fairfax are spot-on for every single key request. Especially the international airport (Dulles), space, and deep tech-savy local talent pool. Add in the fact that Bezos himself recently bought one the biggest homes in all of DC earlier this year, setting up shop with the Washington Post, and has quietly made some land deals of old Washington Post distributions centers around the city already, one could argue that he's setting up shop in general in the DMV MSA. Loudoun is a great fit specifically, given the untold amount of development potential, heavy data center locations that are ever increasing and enhancing digital communication capacity throughout, and the old AOL HQ influence already here. Other wish-list item is public transportation infrastructure (hello Silver Line). Everything Amazon is asking for, is so easily here in the DC region, I can't see it being anywhere else to be honest.

I have a sneaking suspicion this whole bid process is more of a ploy to motivate VA or MD to roll out the red carpet on tax incentives. My gut just tells me that Bezos already knows where he wants it...
I agree with most of your points, but think that Fairfax County should push for this to happen in Tysons. It's still not far from 2 airports and much closer to the district. However, clearly if it happens anywhere in NoVa, the whole region will be affected.

Did you read the NYT article on picking a city? They put DC area as 2nd, behind only Denver.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:52 AM

540 posts, read 790,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
I certainly have mixed feelings about this and read a NYT piece on their horrible boiler room working environment, about a year ago.

However, under no circumstances will they go to Richmond or Ohio. DC, Boston, and Denver are the strongest candidates IMO. Amazon isn't solely motivated by low wages, or else they would move their existing HQ in Seattle to Dayton. They need a large metro area with a large pool of educated tech workers and their rfp specifies public transit. Where in Ohio provides this?
Somewhat similar to Ohio, I've read about people talking up NC. However, and I don't mean to make this political, but I don't see Amazon going to a state that has enacted some of the conservative laws that NC has.

Honestly, I think that PG county might make sense. All the planning that went into the FBI HQ could be re-purposed. Still local to airport hubs, Metro, and has the added "bonus" of a cheaper location.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:44 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I saw somewhere that VA Beach is thinking about applying but smaller metro areas won't be able to offer the same tax incentives as larger metro areas.
Plus the fact that transportation in Hampton Roads sucks. VA Beach doesn't stand a chance.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:58 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
Somewhat similar to Ohio, I've read about people talking up NC. However, and I don't mean to make this political, but I don't see Amazon going to a state that has enacted some of the conservative laws that NC has.
Yep. There's been quite a few saying that Research Triangle Park would be a good lure for Amazon.

The notorious HB2 law is no more and the governor responsible for HB2 was shown the door last year. I do see your point, though. The GOP still have veto-proof majorities in the NC General Assembly and has been stonewalling Gov. Roy Cooper at damn near turn, not the least of which include stripping his powers. They've been fighting in court ever since Cooper took offce.

The NCGOP also is very adverse to giving large incentives and what they do give is usually abysmal, so for that reason alone, NC has no chance.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:25 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,315,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Yep. There's been quite a few saying that Research Triangle Park would be a good lure for Amazon.

The notorious HB2 law is no more and the governor responsible for HB2 was shown the door last year. I do see your point, though. The GOP still have veto-proof majorities in the NC General Assembly and has been stonewalling Gov. Roy Cooper at damn near turn, not the least of which include stripping his powers. They've been fighting in court ever since Cooper took offce.

The NCGOP also is very adverse to giving large incentives and what they do give is usually abysmal, so for that reason alone, NC has no chance.
Interesting little tidbit, the head of the Tysons BID used to be the head of the Raleigh BID which (along with others in Raleigh of course) turned that town around by becoming a hub for tech. In terms of attracting white whale tech companies, Tysons does have that going for it, as well as being able to actually build an 8 msf headquarters, something I have my doubts whether any other location meeting the requires could actually do (especially downtown DC)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia