Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 11:23 AM

795 posts, read 1,009,209 times

Advertisements

As mentioned get 3 to 4 prices. For apples to apples be sure to have the exact same scope of work with each proposal.

When you do hire someone be sure to discuss access and removal from the work area. Big equipment, loaded trucks can cause damage. Ask how they will protect your driveway and yard during the removal. Also if you have the stump ground, be sure to specifically include removal of all chipped debris with the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 11:59 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
As mentioned get 3 to 4 prices. For apples to apples be sure to have the exact same scope of work with each proposal.

When you do hire someone be sure to discuss access and removal from the work area. Big equipment, loaded trucks can cause damage. Ask how they will protect your driveway and yard during the removal. Also if you have the stump ground, be sure to specifically include removal of all chipped debris with the price.
All great points. The price will depend greatly on whether you need a crane for the job.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:38 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,724,246 times
Thanks for all these additional replies. Busy today and just now looking here again.

Catamounts, I'm in Arlington. Haven't seen too many door-to-door guys here, but generally I don't answer the door unless I'm expecting someone. Not paranoid but generally just hate being bothered by solicitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I hired a guy several years back based on the recommendation of a friend. He said the guy was in jail for a bit and was trying to reestablish his business. I had him prove he had insurance-he did-and his prices were the most reasonable ever and they actually did a very good job. His climber was incredible. Then one day my son saw the guy leaving a Shell station near our house in a hurry. Turns out he just robbed the place and went back to jail. What a shame as he was good and reasonable. We had some giant Oak trees that needed to be removed later and we paid somewhere in the $1000.00 range but can't recall exactly.
Wow, if he gets paroled, let me know! Haha. If you'd paid that amount to remove even one oak tree, it sounds like a super bargain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I have used SavATree several times in the last 2 years. Tree removal and pruning. They also gave me some advice and fertilized the big trees. I am not sure if they are reasonable but the prices and service were OK with me. I got their name from my neighbors who use them.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post

Good advice. I've been doing that with the couple I've talked to so far. Fortunately, are backyard is in dire need of re-sodding, and the driveway is already old and cracked. But I'll ask about protecting it if I get a couple of quotes that are within a few hundred bucks of each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
I’ve had luck with the “drive around the neighborhood” types. If the tree is visible from the road, I wouldn’t doubt that you’ll get someone soon.
I had them take down a Maple (around 70 years old) for $1200 after Bartlett told me it was a goner.
The pricing info is helpful; this tree is about that age--maybe a couple decades older. Probably 80-100 feet tall. Not visible from the road unless you really know where to look.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:48 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,724,246 times
While I'm replying, let me recommend for future would-be tree-removers that they first get a consulting arborist to take a look. You can find them on this website: American Society of Consulting Arborists

I used Jeremy Edwards (sole proprietor of Urban Tree LLC), who was fantastic. Very thorough in his explanations, prompt, communicative--with great suggestions for future plantings. Charged me $150 for the hour. He is or was the tree consultant for the city of Falls Church.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:12 AM

318 posts, read 367,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
While I'm replying, let me recommend for future would-be tree-removers that they first get a consulting arborist to take a look. You can find them on this website: American Society of Consulting Arborists

I used Jeremy Edwards (sole proprietor of Urban Tree LLC), who was fantastic. Very thorough in his explanations, prompt, communicative--with great suggestions for future plantings. Charged me $150 for the hour. He is or was the tree consultant for the city of Falls Church.
hourly pay of 150 dollars is then equivalent to an average annual income of $300,000 per year.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:29 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Actually, it's $624,000/Yr. (nice work if you can get it!)

Old 09-24-2017, 10:26 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Actually, it's $624,000/Yr. (nice work if you can get it!)
How do you figure that? The $150 has to cover operating expenses so it's not equivalent to salary, let alone salary plus benefits. And if it were equivalent to salary, at an average 2000 working hours per year, and assuming that the recipient were paid for every single working hour--highly unlikely--that would be $300000. For example an arborist would have to spend a lot of time driving from 1 hour job to another 1 hour job to another, etc. In actuality, s/he probably clears the equivalent of about $125k per year.

We pay our plumber a lot more than that. We often get a bill above $150 when he's here for a half hour or less.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:22 AM

795 posts, read 1,009,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
How do you figure that? The $150 has to cover operating expenses so it's not equivalent to salary, let alone salary plus benefits. And if it were equivalent to salary, at an average 2000 working hours per year, and assuming that the recipient were paid for every single working hour--highly unlikely--that would be $300000. For example an arborist would have to spend a lot of time driving from 1 hour job to another 1 hour job to another, etc. In actuality, s/he probably clears the equivalent of about $125k per year.

We pay our plumber a lot more than that. We often get a bill above $150 when he's here for a half hour or less.
At that price I would shop around for another plumber.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:24 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post

I mistakenly miscalculated (I have long nails and think I hit an extra number) - Working hours/year is calculated @ 2080 hrs. x hourly wage - $312,000 is correct.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:19 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,556,796 times
Bartlett Tree Experts. They're certainly properly insured as they have locations coast to coast. They saved 10 Leylands that screen our house to our neighbors a few years ago (they're now 15 years old) when the former owner of my home accidently hosed everything down with RoundUp (he was an idiot). My neighbor paid to save them himself. He brought in Bartlett, and everything they worked on, is alive and well today. Everything they didn't, died (some 15 others, all the shrubs, flowers, etc.)

they've got an office in springfield. Google it and you should find them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia