Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 05:48 AM

210 posts, read 417,680 times

Advertisements

The stretch of 95 from Fairfax County Pkwy to Fredericksburg. Not exactly surprising:

Worst Traffic Spot in US Found on I-95 in Northern Virginia - NBC4 Washington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 06:08 AM

20,165 posts, read 9,060,402 times
it's a quality of life issue. NoVa traffic is some of the worst in the nation.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:29 AM

6,567 posts, read 8,411,165 times
Imma make some t-shirts that say "I drive through the worst traffic in the US on a daily basis. What doesn't kill me, makes me stronger.....or crazy. Probably crazy."

Old 09-28-2017, 06:37 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,938,531 times
Hands down, the 1/2 mile before the bridge on 123 & 95. Between 10 PM and 6 AM, it's clear. Any other time, it's not.

Edited to add......I will still take 95 over 66. <runs and hides>

Old 09-28-2017, 07:53 AM

529 posts, read 751,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Hands down, the 1/2 mile before the bridge on 123 & 95. Between 10 PM and 6 AM, it's clear. Any other time, it's not.

Edited to add......I will still take 95 over 66. <runs and hides>

May I-66 qualifies for the worst highway on weekends....

Old 09-28-2017, 11:58 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,405,687 times
To Prince William's credit, Ruth Anderson, district supervisor of Lake Ridge/Occoquan has complained for YEARS about extending 95 from 3 lanes to 4 lanes where it bottlenecks at Occoquan and as usual, the ever so diligent folks down in Richmond continue to ignore or make excuses as to why they can't fix it.

Virginia really needs to do something about its infrastructure. It's ridiculous that roads like 28 go years with literally nothing being done about the major traffic issues.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:51 PM

979 posts, read 1,777,490 times
In other news, water is wet...

I can't help but chuckle to myself now that I live in Virginia Beach and hear people complain about traffic in Hampton Roads. Yes, bridges and tunnels get backed up at rush hour, and the HRBT can get backed up at just about any time on any day, but it's still nothing compared to NOVA.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:02 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,675,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
To Prince William's credit, Ruth Anderson, district supervisor of Lake Ridge/Occoquan has complained for YEARS about extending 95 from 3 lanes to 4 lanes where it bottlenecks at Occoquan and as usual, the ever so diligent folks down in Richmond continue to ignore or make excuses as to why they can't fix it.

Virginia really needs to do something about its infrastructure. It's ridiculous that roads like 28 go years with literally nothing being done about the major traffic issues.
The funny thing (or not so funny thing) about it is that this particular bottleneck has been moving south for YEARS. When I first moved to the area, the 4-lanes-to-3-lanes thing happened more north--I think just below Lorton and the bottleneck was horrible there. Once you got through it, it opened up a bit.

When they did their latest round of widening a few years ago, they pushed that down to RIGHT AT THE OCCOQUAN BRIDGE. Traffic on bridges notoriously slows down anyway but to create a lane decrease right at the point where lots of traffic from Rt. 1 merges in, and people are also exiting is just plain stupid. A loss of lane like that shouldn't happen anywhere but in a remote stretch, which probably shouldn't even be considered until well past Dumfries.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:21 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,138 posts, read 7,592,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post

Virginia should be six lanes along 95 in each direction from the Beltway to at least past Fredericksburg, and then maybe drop down to four lanes each direction all the way to Richmond. Then run a commuter train up the median of the highway or along the side of it. It's so not rocket science.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:40 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,779,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
In other news, water is wet...

I can't help but chuckle to myself now that I live in Virginia Beach and hear people complain about traffic in Hampton Roads. Yes, bridges and tunnels get backed up at rush hour, and the HRBT can get backed up at just about any time on any day, but it's still nothing compared to NOVA.
As a native of Hampton Roads, they do have a valid point, at least where I-64 near Ft. Eustis and Williamsburg is. It has taken the state forever to get around to extending the lanes.

The tunnels, don't know what cam be done besides a prohibitively expensive replacement with a full bridge which will probably need to be tolled to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia