Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 08:52 AM

882 posts, read 1,671,453 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I've just moved to the Alexandria area where I'll be staying for the next few months for work; I'm in my late 20's, originally from New Jersey. My work schedule affords me a lot of free time and I'm looking to explore the region. I have a few questions:

1) Where are the best places to go hiking within 30-45 minutes of Alexandria? I'm looking for a place where I can do a 7-10 mile hike, preferably with well-marked trails. Ample hills would be a plus.

2) Is it worth it to visit the beach this late in the season? In New Jersey, "local season" at the shore can stretch into October if the weather breaks right. I was hoping to take a weekend trip to the ocean in October; since I'm a few hundred miles further south I figure the weather will be a bit warmer. Is this realistic? And, is there a preferred destination for folks traveling from Northern Virginia? I've been told conflicting opinions from former residents; some have said to try Virginia Beach, others Ocean City MD or Chincoteague. Drive times for all seem to be in the 3-3.5 hour range according to google. I really just want somewhere I can lay on the sand and stick my toes in the water on a warm day, and hopefully a not-too-pricey hotel room.

3) Any recommendations on good local hangouts? I know a bit about the nightlife and social scene in DC, but much less about what's in Alexandria and the immediate vicinity. I'm only here for three months, but I wouldn't mind trying to socialize a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 12:38 PM

24 posts, read 30,788 times
1. Great falls, though not that many hills. For hills you need to look into the Shenandoah Park (1.5 hours at least, but a ton of well marked trails with very nice views)
2. Kinda late for beaches. You may get better luck down south (Virginia Beach), though it's a longer drive 3.5 vs 3 hours. That being said, unless you get a very hot day, the odds are you want get even close to the water.
3. Pass on that one . somebody else may be able to assist you on that.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:44 PM

722 posts, read 1,923,837 times
You may want to check out Prince William Forest park, which is off I-95 near Marine Corps base Quantico. https://www.nps.gov/prwi/index.htm
Lots of beautiful trails and it isn't very crowded, especially compared to Great Falls. If you are into cycling, a lot cyclists ride there too.
There is a small fee to enter the park, or it is free if you have a National Parks Annual pass.

While you are down there, if you are at all interested in military history you might want to check out the National museum of the Marine Corps. It is free, and plenty of free parking as well. National Museum of the Marine Corps - The National Musuem of the Marine Corps

Old 10-03-2017, 03:52 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,974,026 times
C & O Canal. Or do a city walk across NW DC..like Chevy Chase to Rosslyn...you could use Metro.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:54 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,403,762 times
1. If you want to hike by yourself, check out Shendandoah Park as dpiccolo said. Also, https://capitolfile-magazine.com/wha...t-hiking-trail. If you want to socialize, check out the many hiking and biking meetups in the area. https://www.meetup.com/find/?allMeet...A&sort=default

2. What are you looking for in a beach? If you want the ocean beaches, I think the Delaware beaches are closest. If you like natural beaches look at Cape Henlopen Park near Lewes, that has ocean, ponds, fishing pier and hiking/biking trails. If it's raining or you want a bit more typical boardwalk/bar/tourist trap vibe check out Rehoboth Beach. I prefer RB over Ocean City and Virginia Beach because the city encourages small businesses and is not overrun with carbon copy big chain hotels and stores. Riding the ferry 90 minutes over Delaware Bay to NJ Cape May is fun. I've been on Cape Henlopen in sunny warm days in early spring and late fall when it's deserted and I had the ocean beach to myself.

3. I'm not in my 20's so can't advise on Alexandria's most popular hangouts for that crowd. A lot of NoVA 20 to 30 crowd hang out in the Ballston/Courthouse area on the Orange Line but the Mosaic District (west on the Orange Line in Dunn Loring) is also very popular. Again, check out Meetup as there are several 20/30 something meetup groups in the Alexandria/Arlington area.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:11 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,247,500 times
On a nice clear fall day drive Skyline Drive. Some very nice trails and you can pick the ones you want based on your skill level. Drive to Woodstock and drive to the Woodstock Tower for an unobstructed view of the valley and the 7 bends of the Shenandoah River. The road to this tower closes before the first snow FYI.
Walk the Main St area of Woodstock and eat at the Woodstock Café. Great food/desserts and an unbelievable wine selection.
Many very nice wineries out here but Cave Ridge Winery is the nicest one we've seen but Wolf Gap and Shenandoah Winery were very nice as well.
The Endless Caverns turned out to be nicer than I expected near New Market. Luray Caverns is also an excellent one to visit.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:19 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Drive to Woodstock and drive to the Woodstock Tower for an unobstructed view of the valley and the 7 bends of the Shenandoah River. The road to this tower closes before the first snow FYI.
Just adding a note, OP:

Woodstock Tower Road has a steep grade and several switchbacks. Your vehicle should have at least front wheel drive. The view is breathtaking.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:55 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,247,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Just adding a note, OP:

Woodstock Tower Road has a steep grade and several switchbacks. Your vehicle should have at least front wheel drive. The view is breathtaking.
Many vehicles go up there that don't have front wheel drive. I have a 4X4 truck but never use it meaning it's a rear wheel drive. My wife's rear wheel has been up there numerous times with no issues.

But it does have switchbacks which mean driving slow and careful.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:09 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Many vehicles go up there that don't have front wheel drive. I have a 4X4 truck but never use it meaning it's a rear wheel drive. My wife's rear wheel has been up there numerous times with no issues.

But it does have switchbacks which mean driving slow and careful.
That's good to hear. The last time we took a rear wheel drive car up there, we were burning rubber on a couple of those switchbacks - and it wasn't because we were going fast. We must have just had a crappy car.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:43 AM

157 posts, read 218,399 times
Old Rag hike at Shenandoah (though the commute is much further than you wanted). Best east coast hike I've had so far (coming from someone who's accustomed to PacNW hikes). Highly recommend you check it out at some point.

For a guy in his late 20s looking for Alexandria spots, I'd recommend you look into Old Town and Del Ray. They both have a particular vibe you may or may not be into, but worth at least checking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia