Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2017, 04:49 AM

2,327 posts, read 2,179,721 times

Advertisements

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpwes/...isrequired.htm

I read it over and over again, and am still not clear if I need permit.

Here is the situation: I bought the house two years ago, it is old house, but when I look at tax record today, there is no information about basement finished/unfinished square feet.

The attached screenshot is from Tax Record. Or where should I get the related information showing finished square feet?

My big concern is that: if I renovation the basement, will it cause trouble for me to sell the house in a few years? I mean what if they say "I did not report the basement renovation from unfinished to finished"?

Currently, basement is divided into two parts: one part is empty room, and the other part is for HVAC/Water heater/Dryer/Washer/etc. Clearly the part for HVAC/Water heater/Dryer/Washer/etc is not finished (no drywall ceiling); but I am not sure if the other part is already considered finished or not (old dark wood panel wall, concrete floor/old drop ceiling).

I just want to upgrade basement to modern status: drywall/vinyl flooring, new window, etc.

Anyone familiar with Fairfax policy?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Fairfax County Basement Renovation Permit-img_20171008_062538.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 07:58 AM

795 posts, read 1,009,703 times
Hard to tell without more details of the proposed work. If you are not sure call the county permits department and ask them. Yes, it could be a problem when you go to sell.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:55 AM

2,327 posts, read 2,179,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
Hard to tell without more details of the proposed work. If you are not sure call the county permits department and ask them. Yes, it could be a problem when you go to sell.
Is there a way to pull historical permits related to the house?

Old 10-08-2017, 05:41 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,290,229 times
Yes, call them and ask. The permits would be on file.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:35 PM

23 posts, read 23,064 times
You need to get a permit for any major renovation to a basement, bathroom, kitchen, etc. It does not matter if you are doing it yourself or having a contractor perform the work. A renovation is considered major if it materially alters the appearance of the room being renovated. The permit ensures all work is done according to county code, and an inspector will sign off on the work when completed. If you go to sell the house and a permit was not pulled, you may be responsible for bring the work in the basement up to code if a permit was not pulled!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: