Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 08:04 AM

36 posts, read 39,791 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

I just received a job offer for a company in McLean, VA. They're paying me a little bit over $55k a year. This is $15k more than what I make here in Michigan.
I'm a 24 year old male, no kids or pets, with manageable debt (student loan and car payment.)

What cities should I look into for an apartment? I started looking at Falls Church, someone else told me Fairfax. If you all have any suggestions please let me know.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 08:22 AM

529 posts, read 753,723 times
There are plenty of apartments in Tysons/Vienna. What is your budget?

Old 11-09-2017, 08:58 AM

248 posts, read 260,448 times
Fairfax will be a little cheaper but mean a longer commute. I'd probably go for Falls Church, though I think you'll have trouble finding a single apartment for under $1500. And even that is a stretch. Maybe look on Craigslist for roommates if you're brave.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:08 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,639,121 times
Lots of young singles your age in the Orange Line corridor of Arlington (Rosslyn-Ballston corridor) and many of them commute to jobs in McLean/ Tysons. Falls Church isn't bad either. What is your rental budget? Do you want to be within walking distance of restaurants and nightlife options or do you prefer a more quiet setting? Do you want to live solo or are you open to roommates?

Old 11-09-2017, 01:13 PM

110 posts, read 246,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP360 View Post
Hey Everyone,

I just received a job offer for a company in McLean, VA. They're paying me a little bit over $55k a year. This is $15k more than what I make here in Michigan.
I'm a 24 year old male, no kids or pets, with manageable debt (student loan and car payment.)

What cities should I look into for an apartment? I started looking at Falls Church, someone else told me Fairfax. If you all have any suggestions please let me know.

Thank You
Without knowing the specifics of why you might take the job, I wouldn't assume that extra $15K a year will result in an increase of quality of life. There may be compelling reasons to take the job (interest in living in the DC area, better potential for career progression, etc.) but if the only reason is the extra $15K (before taxes), I'd probably stay in Michigan. The cost of living in this area cannot be overstated.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:36 PM

52 posts, read 67,840 times
Good advice is to follow the "30 percent rule", whereby you cap your rent budget at 30% of your gross income.

So, with a $55,000 salary, you would want to cap your annual rent expenses at $16,500, which works out to $1,375 / month. That is the maximum you can probably afford, but it's often advisable to go below 30% of gross income

You can find older, somewhat run-down 1 bedroom apartments in Arlington that are not walking distance to the Metro for that rent for that $1,375 amount. Note that Zumper and Washington Post and other sources estimate that the average rent in the Northern Virginia area is about $2,000 per month.

Apartments are generally a little bit less expensive in Fairfax and Alexandria.

https://www.zumper.com/blog/2017/11/...november-2017/

Old 11-09-2017, 02:08 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,710,280 times
KP360--I use my daughter as an example on these types threads often as she is in the same boat.

Currently, she's making $56,000. She has no debt, but must pay for her health insurance, car insurance, and phone. She also has some commuting expenses. (Of course there's food and utilities). She lives right in DC and started out sharing a small rowhouse with one other person. She took the smallest room and paid $900 plus some utilities. That was a good, manageable amount for her. She got tired of living in the shoebox and she just moved to another rowhouse with a very large bedroom and private bath. Her rent is $1300 a month and she has two other roommates. They are random roommates that were put in there by the landlord. It has worked out VERY well and she loves them. But....at her salary, the $1300 is TOUGH for her. If she were a hermit, it might be better, but she likes to do yoga and go to concerts occasionally. She picks up extra money by dogsitting for her friends and her other friend is a successful realtor and she house cleans for him occasionally.

At your salary and with your minimal debt, please cap your rent at $1300. If you are new to this area and young, I urge you to get into a roommate situation (use Craigslist to find a shared house). You will get so much more socially if you do this and I think it's important for someone from out of the area.

The Arlington area is going to be your best bet for finding people your age and opportunities to rent with a couple of people in the same situation as you.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:38 AM

313 posts, read 553,315 times
If you're an extrovert, move to Arlington/DC and find roommates, (closer to the Orange Line, the better). You won't be able to afford a 1BR, but you'll have fun meeting new people. Depending on where in McLean the office is, you'll be able to metro or have a reverse commute which is desirable.

If your own space is a priority,you're going to have to look in Herndon/Chantilly/Centreville. There is not much nightlife here ( a couple bars here and there of course), but you "should" be able to find something that fits your budget. Your commute will be on the edge of tolerable.

The best option for you would be Reston, imo. If you get lucky, you'll find something around 1400 or 1500. There is a healthy nightlife present at the Reston Town Center and commuting to McLean is a reasonable for the area, depending if you want to shell out for the toll road or join the rest of the traffic on Route 7.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:23 PM

36 posts, read 39,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlyoungin View Post
Without knowing the specifics of why you might take the job, I wouldn't assume that extra $15K a year will result in an increase of quality of life. There may be compelling reasons to take the job (interest in living in the DC area, better potential for career progression, etc.) but if the only reason is the extra $15K (before taxes), I'd probably stay in Michigan. The cost of living in this area cannot be overstated.
I totally understand, but honestly I can't stay in Michigan. My current job sucks (haha) and I've applied to over 100 positions across the state and I can't find anything else besides temp work.
The opportunity I have in front of me is for more pay, and with a much more prestigious company, doing something I actually went to school for.

And to answer everyone else's questions. I don't really care about local nightlife. I have friends from college who stay in DC and I'd just probably crash at their place that weekend or so. I'm more about finding a decently priced, and safe city to live in.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:14 AM

110 posts, read 246,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP360 View Post
I totally understand, but honestly I can't stay in Michigan. My current job sucks (haha) and I've applied to over 100 positions across the state and I can't find anything else besides temp work.
The opportunity I have in front of me is for more pay, and with a much more prestigious company, doing something I actually went to school for.

And to answer everyone else's questions. I don't really care about local nightlife. I have friends from college who stay in DC and I'd just probably crash at their place that weekend or so. I'm more about finding a decently priced, and safe city to live in.
Understood. Good luck. One option you can try is to use craigslist, hotpads or padmapper to find a basement apartment in Alexandria, Arlington or Falls Church. When I first moved here, i was working in McLean and lived in a basement apartment in Lincolnia, Alexandria. It worked out great and my rent was about $1300. I also know a unit for rent in Fairlington for around $2200 that would work out well for a roommate situation. You may want to look there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia