Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 11:04 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,076,613 times

Advertisements

Just trying to get an idea of what you're paying, if you don't mind sharing. My mother's accountant charged $900 to prepare her returns, state and federal (including schedules A, B, D).

I know you pay for their expertise and knowledge and if that's what the going rate is here, that's fine. I'm curious. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 11:53 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,470,013 times
Wow. That sounds very high. Is your mom's situation so complex (beyond A, B, and D) that she can't use TurboTax to prepare her returns herself? That would cost her $100-300, and some time.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:01 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,076,613 times
She’s got dementia so I’m managing her financials. It’s too complicated for me to do on turbo tax.

Thanks for your input.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:36 PM

126 posts, read 189,920 times
I wouldn't pay more than $400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Just trying to get an idea of what you're paying, if you don't mind sharing. My mother's accountant charged $900 to prepare her returns, state and federal (including schedules A, B, D).

I know you pay for their expertise and knowledge and if that's what the going rate is here, that's fine. I'm curious. TIA

Old 12-04-2017, 08:36 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,326,624 times
Schedule A(itemized deductions) and Schedule B(interest income) are fairly straightforward but D with capital gains can get a little intimidating for people. It really depends how long it takes your tax preparer to do it. $100-$150/hour isn't outlandish for a CPA to charge. I could do a simple tax return in an hour or two but a really complex return could easily take 6 hours, so $900 isn't necessarily crazy. But probably your mom's return isn't that bad and you can find someone who can do it for less if you shop around a little.

Old 12-06-2017, 09:30 AM

871 posts, read 2,117,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Schedule A(itemized deductions) and Schedule B(interest income) are fairly straightforward but D with capital gains can get a little intimidating for people. It really depends how long it takes your tax preparer to do it. $100-$150/hour isn't outlandish for a CPA to charge. I could do a simple tax return in an hour or two but a really complex return could easily take 6 hours, so $900 isn't necessarily crazy. But probably your mom's return isn't that bad and you can find someone who can do it for less if you shop around a little.
What FCNova said. Schedule A can also take time, depending on which deductions are being itemized. Healthcare expenses above 7.5% of AGI can take a while to itemize and calculate, especially if the client comes in with the proverbial shoebox full of statements and receipts.

Similarly, schedule D can be simple with one or two mutual funds. However, if there are many individual stocks bought and sold, some of which may have issued dividends, with various or multiple purchase dates, it could be a challenge to calculate the appropriate basis for each transaction.

So, the $900 may be high, or it could be quite reasonable for the amount of time spent. Look at last year's return to see how many supporting schedules are provided and how many line items are used on each of the schedules. The more sub-schedules and line items, the more time it takes to complete the return.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:33 PM

795 posts, read 1,015,917 times
Quote:

We had a kind of muckety-muck tax guy over in McLean for years that cost about $950 +. We only used him because of our combined income and a out of town Summer rental property we owned.

Now with the rental property out of the picture, we're paying about $350. But we are in Southeast Virginia now. When our new tax person saw what we paid that guy the previous year, She nearly fell out. No regrets, but I really believe we were overcharged by that guy. But no one held a gun to our heads to use him.

Anyway I think around $500 for a private tax person would be fair in NOVA.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:20 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,295,589 times
We have the same sorts of taxes and we pay $500 and that’s with a slight discount (5%). Our guy is in Fairfax.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:59 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,632,523 times
Quote:
She’s got dementia so I’m managing her financials. It’s too complicated for me to do on turbo tax.

Thanks for your input.
I would get prior year's tax return and set up columns for worksheets for preparing 2016 and 2017 side by side. List the summary totals for each line on a form or schedule. Under each total that would appear on form 1040, sched A, B, D, E, etc., you could identify the details that went into make up the sum. It's helpful if you identify the source of the information, such as real estate tax receipts, 1098, 1099, etc. That is essentially what we turned into our accountant to prepare, and I eventually did away with using an accountant since I realized his client questionaire translated to line items on the tax return.

I do it about twice a year so that it's organized for the quarterly estimates and the final return.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:54 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,470,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
I would get prior year's tax return and set up columns for worksheets for preparing 2016 and 2017 side by side. List the summary totals for each line on a form or schedule. Under each total that would appear on form 1040, sched A, B, D, E, etc., you could identify the details that went into make up the sum. It's helpful if you identify the source of the information, such as real estate tax receipts, 1098, 1099, etc. That is essentially what we turned into our accountant to prepare, and I eventually did away with using an accountant since I realized his client questionaire translated to line items on the tax return.

I do it about twice a year so that it's organized for the quarterly estimates and the final return.
This seems more difficult to me than entering the data directly into TuboTax—or importing some of it directly from financial institutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia