Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 06:09 PM

66 posts, read 71,764 times

Advertisements

We are preparing to move and are downsizing. We have a family dining set from 1930 in good condition and can't bring it with us. Does anyone have recommendations of where to find out if it's worth anything or stores that may be interested in this type of furniture? We are in Ashburn. I did try contacting a few places and they all wanted to know my selling price....and I have no idea what's reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 06:30 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,795,746 times
Check online prices, EBay, etc. - there's not really much of a market for antique, large furniture.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:23 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,369,290 times
Look on craigslist for examples...try here.

If you choose to post an ad on craigslist, be prepared to include photos. If you are on a tight schedule, craigslist may not work for you, but at least you will be able to compare prices.

To make a blanket statement like there is no market for antique large furniture is inaccurate....it may be a soft market, but it will always be in demand by some. I am always on the hunt for unique, quality antique furniture, and have been since the 70's. The 30's era furniture is sought after by even fewer people, so be realistic in your expectations. You have a quality, solid wood, made in the USA dining set, the style may not suit everyone, but try to replace it with something made in China and see what it will cost....

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-05-2017, 04:38 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,606,309 times
You could consign to Quinn's Auction. Something like this will probably only net you $100 at best, unless your set is a Deco Moderne style, which would fetch more. It will also depend how many chairs come with the set. 6 matching chairs will bring more than a set with 4.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:46 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,122,800 times
You missed the window by about 10-15years. No one wants old dark wood furniture anymore. Young people aren't into antiques.

Auction houses don't want it-----they are overloaded with the sfuff. Thieves Market doesn't want it either.

Craigslist may net you a few hundred at the most. You'll endure the knuckleheads that want to negotiate even before they see the furniture. When they arrive at your home, they'll offer you even less. It's just how the market is. Good luck.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:30 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
You could Google "Antique Furniture Dealers" in your area, and then call to see if they're interested in coming to take a look and give you a price.

Old 12-05-2017, 03:02 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,427,281 times
I would consider just donating it and taking the tax write off. Far better than dealing with craigslist and might net you a similar amount. Agree with the other posters that there is no market for old run of the mill furniture. Every estate sale (and there a lot of them) is full of similar items.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:18 PM

66 posts, read 71,764 times
Thanks for the comments. I contacted a few places and they echoed some of the comments here that there isn't much demand for furniture of that era / style. I would rather just donate it or give it to a friend. There is a bit of a difference in opinion between me (I think its not worth trying to sell) and my wife's parents who gave us the furniture and are claiming its worth $$$.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:53 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,795,746 times
That generation still thinks their "stuff" is valuable.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:05 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,403,762 times
tt003e

Yes, sorry, finalmove hit it on the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
You missed the window by about 10-15years. No one wants old dark wood furniture anymore. Young people aren't into antiques.
Auction houses don't want it-----they are overloaded with the stuff. Thieves Market doesn't want it either.
Craigslist may net you a few hundred at the most. You'll endure the knuckleheads that want to negotiate even before they see the furniture. When they arrive at your home, they'll offer you even less. It's just how the market is. Good luck.
For the past two years I have read any number of articles on how tastes have changed (in the US and Europe) and the market for antique furniture is at its lowest since World War One. Most emphasis is about downsizing and mobility now.

Generations of my family have loved and cherished antiques. I have purchased a number over decades and inherited more. My house is filled with pieces from the 1700s and 1800s. I don’t think I can give them away these days except to pay for the removal to be used as firewood. I have my fantasies (only that) about My Tiny House and have researched downsizing. I concluded that most of what I have spent many tens of thousands of dollars on over the years may wind up on the garbage heap once I no longer have the square footage to store it. Such a loss. 50 years from now the wheel will turn again and there will be a fierce market for what’s left. I won’t be around to see it. And, likely neither will my antiques.

Check out the Forbes article for some suggestions: https://www.forbes.com/sites/nextave.../#20b2d53824ed

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: