Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 03:55 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,289,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I think your assumption is correct. They do not know the neighbor. But it also appears they have never attempted to know the neighbor. Now this specific OP says these people are "bad". They may be, and that would prevent me from getting to know them. But I don't know how the OP knows they are bad.

My point throughout this thread is that we, as a society, have stopped getting to know our neighbors. We don't know their names. We don't know anything about them. Then, when there is an issue, we are scared to approach, strictly because it would seem confrontational. Yes, it certainly would, if this is the first time you've every talked to the people who have lived next door to for years.
Not sure but I trust my judgment when I first see someone. I've been wrong before but have been right more often. But no matter. My wife would not go over to a neighbor's house to complain at midnight about the noise they were making unless they were already friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 05:32 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,209,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Not sure but I trust my judgment when I first see someone. I've been wrong before but have been right more often. But no matter. My wife would not go over to a neighbor's house to complain at midnight about the noise they were making unless they were already friends.
Let's be clear; I was never suggesting anyone go over to have a conversation at the time of the incident. The OP has been putting up with this for months. A conversation during the day, when it's not happening, after some light chit-chat is a huge difference than pounding on their door at midnight.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:36 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,209,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
Neighborly is a two way street. We are outside all the time and friendly with neighbors—more so than most it seems—but there are neighbors that would intentionally dodge any attempts a friendly overtures.

The house across the street just sold and the new owners dropped by. I went across the street with my child who was the same age as their kids who were running around. I said hello. In response, the kids ran away and the new owner wouldn’t get out of his car or roll down the window for a solid 30 seconds before realizing I wasn’t walking away.

We lived in a townhouse a few years back and despite knowing all of our neighbors, one lady as her kids went out of their way to say hi or acknowledge us. Some people don’t care to be friendly or “neighborly” no matter what you do.
I 100% agree; it is a two-way street. And we, society as a whole, are losing this one simple courteous manner. We don't seem to value it at a literal neighbor to neighbor relationship; and we certainly aren't valuing it on a nation to nation relationship level.

Last edited by spencgr; 01-02-2018 at 06:47 PM..

Old 01-02-2018, 06:22 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,482,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
But, if you already know your neighbor, this isn't a confrontation.

"Hey, Bill! I see your grass is looking great this year; what are you doing differently? How is Mitsy doing in 3rd grade this year? Oh, by the way, the stereo was a little loud last night; not sure if you know I can hear it through the wall?"

As a society, we've forgotten how to be neighborly.
I agree but this was a huge part of our problem in NoVa. Try as we might, we never really got to know our neighbors. People were so busy, stressed from commuting, very different cultures, etc. The garage doors went up, car went in, doors came down. Everyone had a lawn service. People were rarely around to interact.

We had several parties/attempts to socialize but no one ever reciprocated and we just gave up.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:34 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,910,898 times
thank you all! happy new year!

Old 01-06-2018, 11:35 AM

61 posts, read 76,470 times
I have lived for awhile in Herndon, Va, not long after moving to the NOVA area in the early 1990's. My experiences with apartments in NOVA were ALL bad, so I next rented in a house with roommates. The neighborhood in Herndon was great when I moved in, with super neighbors. Within a year, however, the house next to us went up for sale and it was sold to a gang of 12 people associated with ms-13. They operated an open air drug market 24 hours a day and sat out in their fleet of Mitsubishis with stoked up woofers blasting "kop-killer rap" music at all hours of the day and night as they waited to get their calls and make their deliveries all night and all day. The decent people in the neighborhood began to sell and move out. The cops when called said it was on a private road (a cul-de-sac lane into the group of houses that the city and county had no jurisdiction over) so they said they would not be able to go on the property. The area was dark with no street lights. After the gang messed up our yard one night tearing up the raised flower beds, and then tore the outside fixtures off a house-mate's truck, I followed some of the other residents who had moved out, and found myself a better neighborhood to live in, but still renting and ready to move as soon as it became necessary. That is the reason I do not buy any real estate in Northern Virginia. As long as the towns and counties enable the gangs and illegals to run amok with their sanctuary status, it is only a matter of time before any neighborhood with reasonable rents will go under unless it has a higher barrier to entry than most folks can afford to pay to live there.
It is for this reason that I fully understand the OP's reticence to confront the neighbors especially in this location and instance. A lot of what you get around here in the cheaper living options are overcrowding, drugs, gang activity etc. It is not like you can expect to have wholesome college kids or young marrieds starting a family that can be considered "reasonable people" crowded into these places. And I also understand why, as going to the police in some places does not always work out for the best with the complainer's safety once the police leave, if they come at all. The gangs know who everyone is around them and who they can blame when something goes wrong at their "business."
If you are going to buy in Northern Virginia and if you care about having a decent place to raise the kids, do your homework extensively first. Stay for a year in a decent apartment while you do the research on foot and via on-line for a neighborhood that suits your expectations before you buy in to a more permanent option. With an apartment you get to leave in a hurry if it becomes necessary.
A coworker of mine bought a townhouse in Manassas, only to discover that an offsite New York landlord had rented the place next door sight unseen to a meth lab gang. He only discovered that when the place blew up and he was also displaced from his townhouse by the resulting damages. He and the other neighbors had been complaining for quite some time to the absentee landlord with no results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia