Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 07:04 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dominionite View Post
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Arlington (which covers Northern Virginia) is known as a conservative diocese. In fact, friends of mine who live in different parts of Fairfax County and consider themselves progressive Catholics attend Holy Trinity and send their children to Trinity’s school — despite the distance and traffic.

I’m not aware of a progressive parish/school out in western Fairfax or eastern Loudoun.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
I sent you a lengthy PM, but short answer here regarding a church *and* school is probably St. Joseph in Herndon. St. Joseph is staffed by Franciscan Friars (instead of Diocesan priests). [URL="https://sjcherndon.org/"]http://sjcherndon.org/[/URL] | [URL="http://www.sjschoolva.org/"]St. Joseph School | Herndon, VA[/URL]
St Joes is my parish. We offer both Species and I have discussed a possible Ad Orientum Mass. The TORs (Franciscans) who serve there also staff Franciscan University of Steubenville

Have you considered an Episcopalian Liturgy? They are proabortion, procontraception ,have a cult of saints and are very LGBT friendly. You may feel more at home there. And there are many many options to choose from.

Last edited by leighland; 06-06-2019 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 12:15 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
St Joseph Parish Church in Herndon is run by the permission of the Bishop by Franciscan TORs. These same TORs also run The Franciscan University of Steubenville (OH),
Here is a video from the new President of Franciscan, brother of our Franciscans in Herndon
Our Parish is faithful to the call of orthodoxy of our Church and Jesus Christ, in spite of what is popular culture
We are not a "Liberal Parish"

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjnCJ7p1CYs&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR10 B01AXNL-0Ki5DIgxGvUkU6C-EWCT6MDZHURBirS2ez2JPD6QVVzRT44[/url]

Old 06-11-2019, 05:41 AM

230 posts, read 220,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post

Have you considered an Episcopalian Liturgy? They are proabortion, procontraception ,have a cult of saints and are very LGBT friendly. You may feel more at home there. And there are many many options to choose from.
I don't want to stray far from the point of this thread, but -- just FYI -- Episcopalians like Catholics are divided on issues related to abortion and sexual orientation. Some have split from the Episcopal Church; others have remained.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:56 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dominionite View Post
I don't want to stray far from the point of this thread, but -- just FYI -- Episcopalians like Catholics are divided on issues related to abortion and sexual orientation. Some have split from the Episcopal Church; others have remained.
In terms of parishioners that might be the case, but in terms of official Church teaching and doctrine the two Churches are very different. The Catholic Church is very clear on these issues (and there is no division in teaching/interpretation).

Old 06-15-2019, 12:27 PM

6,976 posts, read 2,701,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMCanes View Post
Our Lady of Hope, which is the parish that my family and I belong to, is pretty conservative/doctrinaire. While that is what we prefer, I don't think that it's what the OP is looking for.
They could always switch to Episcopal if they want Catholic "light".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia