Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2018, 11:25 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,652,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
You mean the big box stores? A. They are pretty much all national chains, of the big box variety, that have in fact themselves done much to put small shops out of business. B. That area has been slated for redevelopment since it ceased to be a railroad yard - the big box stores were a place holder use.

As for CC, its nicer now than it was a few years ago. More street facing retails, some nice parks, etc.
No not those, the small businesses across the street from those. A lot of them have vanished over the years. (I remember when none of those boxchains were there back in the day).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 12:20 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,550,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
There better be clawbacks in the agreement if Amazon doesn't meet job projections.
Grants are paid after an annual filing certifying that, in the past year, X number of jobs were created at an average salary of $150,000. If the jobs aren't created, or if the average falls short, they don't get the check.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:48 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,573,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
No not those, the small businesses across the street from those. A lot of them have vanished over the years. (I remember when none of those boxchains were there back in the day).
Before the big box stores the place was a railroad yard. The RR yard was there since 1906.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:15 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,137 posts, read 7,592,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
This is doubtful as they are already saying it's going to be the 25k jobs plus an additional ~10k. As amazon continues to diversify, the CC and LIC locations will both continue to expands and lighten the load on Seattle. The initial cost might look high but the residual effects will be great.
What I would like to know is, the affect of the JEDI contract and how this potentially adds more jobs to the fray. Assuming they honor the 25k jobs in 12 years, plus potentially add up to 10k more, do any of these come from what jobs may get added if Amazon wins the JEDI contract with the Pentagon?

Old 11-14-2018, 03:14 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,590,636 times
The cloud outsourcing will also replace jobs that would be either staffed by the agencies or the local contractors who ran their IT facilities. Names like American Management Systems, CACI, and others come to mind.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:49 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,332,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Walker View Post
Home prices increasing isn't a good thing or a bad thing. It depends on your circumstance. I've met several people during this recent market increase that can't afford to purchase and were anticipating the market correcting in the future. (Most real estate markets correct every 7 - 9 years due to some crisis.)

With the Amazon news, even if the market was scheduled to slow down (like it is in other parts of the country), our area may never see a price correction.

While recessions are seen as a negative event, they make homeownership affordable to a larger percentage of the population.

Markets have cycles and this news may cause us to miss or lessen the effect of the pending shift in the real estate market.

Similar to how the Homebuyer Tax Credit removed transactions from later years with its incentive to purchase in a predefined time period.

Here's some evidence that our market isn't ready for 25,000 new jobs.

The table below shows the average days on market for 59 zip codes in the Northern Virginia Area. On average, homes are selling in less than 90 days.

Existing homes will not solve this challenge of low inventory.

* These are the year to date numbers and will increase as we move into the Winter season. Data provided by Bright MLS. The statistic calculated on November 14, 2018.

Salaries aren't designed to keep up with inflation unless you're willing to change employers to receive your current market value for your line of work.

Except for property taxes increasing, you won't have to worry about inflation if you don't sell your property.
Thanks for the info. I see your points and can relate to many. I've been with the same employer (public schools, two teacher household) for 26 years. After 17 years we were able to buy in Fairfax County back in 2009 and the market downswing did help. Switching employers isn't an option and salary bumps over the next 10 years will be minimal since I'm approaching the top of the scale, so I admit I am curious to see what home assessments do in that time. We don't plan on selling and property tax increases will surely be manageable.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:45 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,703,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
What I would like to know is, the affect of the JEDI contract and how this potentially adds more jobs to the fray. Assuming they honor the 25k jobs in 12 years, plus potentially add up to 10k more, do any of these come from what jobs may get added if Amazon wins the JEDI contract with the Pentagon?
interestingly, this just popped up..

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/15/busin...ent/index.html

Old 11-15-2018, 08:33 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,652,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Before the big box stores the place was a railroad yard. The RR yard was there since 1906.
Yep I remember that as a kid.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:48 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,137 posts, read 7,592,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
interestingly, this just popped up..

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/15/busin...ent/index.html
Yup, saw this earlier today, thank you.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:45 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,460,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Total is $375 million in new state funds for higher ed: $250 for Tech's new Alexandria Innovation Campus and $125 for GMU, which will add a building to its Virginia Square campus and triple its CS program. There's also $50 million for K-12 STEM education and internships.

Add in the $195* million in state transportation funds, and the state has pledged $620 million in public investments, which is greater than the pledge of $550* million in grants to Amazon for job creation.

* These numbers can increase if more than 25,000 jobs are created.

That's a misleading figure; it combines transportation funds that aren't unlocked until 25,000+ jobs are created, and the direct grants figure for 25,000. It also doesn't count the education investments, which would also would not have happened but for this announcement.

New Yorkers should definitely take up with their governor why their state is paying $1B more in cash than Virginia for the exact same number of type of jobs.

Previously, people would say "Jeff Davis corridor" (e.g., this ArlCo site), but as of 2019 the road is no longer named that in Alexandria. I've heard "Route 1 corridor," but US 1 runs 2,369 miles, and that's also used to describe northern Prince George's and southeastern Fairfax.

Plus, Amazon will start in Crystal City, but will eventually have most or all of their offices in Pentagon City (the west side of Eads). I'm sure the neighborhood-naming ninnies would have their knickers all in knots about that, had the PRs all said "Crystal City."

Maybe it will come to be known as Amazon City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia