Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2019, 05:06 PM

2,505 posts, read 3,551,638 times

Advertisements

Seems like some journalist was trying to write an article that emphasized conflict, and assuming that everything works the same way it works in New York.

Well, one of my favorite articles of clothing is a T-shirt that reads "I DON'T CARE HOW THEY THINGS IN NEW YORK."

That the commonwealth has already passed its incentives into law isn't mentioned until more than halfway down. What's not mentioned at all is that the commonwealth's dollars are 98% of the total proposed incentives, or that the "generous" offering is 85% LESS than what New York was ready to pay, or that the only remaining things to be approved are:
- Arlington's incentives, which are ~1% of the total
- Rezoning about 1/3 of the new-build site from residential to commercial (2/3 is ready to go, they've already started construction on the temporary offices)

The "revolutionary" group making noise in Arlington had... zero electoral victories in 2018.

Last edited by paytonc; 02-27-2019 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 12:40 PM

449 posts, read 496,193 times
Any news on when exactly is Amazon in Crystal City expected to begin hiring this year?

Old 03-11-2019, 08:44 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,653,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I've seen this - it's a small group of individuals complaining about gentrification in an area that is already scheduled to undergo gentrification. The state has already approved the tax breaks and the $23 million from Arlington County will sail through to approval as well. Nothing is going to change Amazon's plans for the area.
I don't pay attention to these people, I think it's just the media and people who strongly support AOC and her groupies. But in reality, I don't know of anyone who's against Amazon coming to Arlington. Everyone I know are thrilled by the opportunities. I can see if Crystal City were already big or had a ton of housing, but as of now, Crystal City is just dormant land just sitting there across from Reagan. Might as well make use of it.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:08 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,406,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I don't pay attention to these people, I think it's just the media and people who strongly support AOC and her groupies. But in reality, I don't know of anyone who's against Amazon coming to Arlington. Everyone I know are thrilled by the opportunities. I can see if Crystal City were already big or had a ton of housing, but as of now, Crystal City is just dormant land just sitting there across from Reagan. Might as well make use of it.
I wouldn't say it's AOC "and her groupies"

I'm not one of them but there are people that feel strongly about the cons of Amazon coming to an area and they're allowed to voice that concern, we shouldn't trivialize those concerns.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:40 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,653,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I wouldn't say it's AOC "and her groupies"

I'm not one of them but there are people that feel strongly about the cons of Amazon coming to an area and they're allowed to voice that concern, we shouldn't trivialize those concerns.
Nothing wrong with people expressing legit concerns (aka increased potential property taxes on homes, increased traffic, etc).

AOC's argument was kinda weak, tbh with the tax incentives. And I consider myself on the left.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:57 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,138 posts, read 7,595,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
Any news on when exactly is Amazon in Crystal City expected to begin hiring this year?
I know JBG Smith related and not on the company, but still news.

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt..._news_headline

Old 03-17-2019, 10:25 AM

6,820 posts, read 4,272,827 times
The idea that there is any notable resistance to this in Arlington ought to be laughable to anyone even half familiar with this area.

There are legitimate concerns about companies like Amazon, the tax incentives used to lure them in and the inability to hold them accountable to promises made later on, but this area is full of and run by the type of white collar liberal who is obsessed with tech companies and the idea of becoming like Silicon Valley (shame that no matter how many of those companies are here the winters will still be cold and the summers dreadfully humid). Also consider that Bezos owns the WaPo and is seen as a high-profile enemy of Trump, which has undoubtedly endeared him and his company to the folks around here.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:21 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,733,553 times
I think Amazon is a terrible shopping experience and treats workers terribly. I haven't bought anything from them in about 3-4 years. I also think they should've moved to a place that truly needed the jobs snd investment, like Detroit or Baltimore. That would have been patriotic and perhaps even more profitable over the long term.

Yet I'm glad about the move because it raises our property values. Sue me.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:02 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,593,330 times
The stunning demand for power from Loudoun County’s data centers

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...un-county.html

Old 03-17-2019, 01:07 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,269,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
The stunning demand for power from Loudoun County’s data centers

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...un-county.html
AWS is a behemoth for sure but this really has nothing to do with HQ2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia