Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 09:57 AM

490 posts, read 924,985 times

Advertisements

I really hope D.C. lands Amazon for both location to benefit. Honestly we all should be pulling for the Nation Capital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 12:03 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,561,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Actually I'm pretty sure that I saw somewhere that Apple will not relocate to California or Texas for their next campus. I believe this was on CNBC but will have to check.
I believe you're right as well. My wife mentioned seeing something that Texas was not in the running either, that Apple had confirmed it themselves.

Who knows! Can you imagine if DC area landed both Amazon and Apple! Kaboom!

Old 01-23-2018, 02:36 PM

529 posts, read 751,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I believe you're right as well. My wife mentioned seeing something that Texas was not in the running either, that Apple had confirmed it themselves.

Who knows! Can you imagine if DC area landed both Amazon and Apple! Kaboom!
Oh man, that will be something if it happens.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:47 AM

529 posts, read 751,197 times
How Amazon could impact DC-area schools, housing and transportation

Old 01-24-2018, 06:06 AM

210 posts, read 417,452 times
OddsShark‏Verified account @OddsShark

Atlanta is the new favorite to land Amazon HQ2 (@BovadaLV):

ATL +500
Washington +800
Nashville/BOS +1000
Austin +1300
Northern VA +1500
Philly/Chicago +1600
Montgomery County/PIT +1700
Dallas/LA/Denver +1800
Raleigh +1900
Indy/NYC/CLB +2000
Newark +2200
Miami/Toronto +2500

Old 01-24-2018, 07:10 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,403,296 times
That sounds about right, giving MoCo the edge over the rest of the area.

As a millennial I can tell you first hand, even though VA specifically NoVa has changed, it's still not seen as cool or hip as areas like Bethesda and Silver Spring. If Amazon is going by the 'cool' factor as it appears they are, that instantly gives MoCo somewhat of an advantage over us.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:11 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
I really hope D.C. lands Amazon for both location to benefit. Honestly we all should be pulling for the Nation Capital.
^^^This

Loudoun County will not win. Think Seattle. Can the Dulles Corridor offer what downtown Seattle offers? no. There is no culture, nightlife, sports, or anything that a major city like DC can offer. Sure, there is Dulles airport, but less than 1% of Amazon employees will ever need the use of an airport. And a 30-40 minute ride to an airport is not unreasonable.

DC proper gets the nod in my opinion out of the three locations. If located in DC, MD and VA benefit anyway. And because they benefit, Metro would get a huge infusion of cash. Locate it in Loudoun County and you exacerbate the east-west traffic congestion. If you locate it in east DC, there's more balance.

Loudoun County lacks local access to educational institutions. Whereas DC has GW, American, Howard, Georgetown, Catholic U., and Gallaudet within its borders. ANd UMD not far away on the Green Line. THat's impressive.

Two of the sites in DC are near sports venues, Nationals, DC United, and the Wizards/Capitals.

Tell me what Loudoun County has to offer after work is over?

Old 01-24-2018, 08:13 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
That sounds about right, giving MoCo the edge over the rest of the area.

As a millennial I can tell you first hand, even though VA specifically NoVa has changed, it's still not seen as cool or hip as areas like Bethesda and Silver Spring. If Amazon is going by the 'cool' factor as it appears they are, that instantly gives MoCo somewhat of an advantage over us.
^^^This. Good to see other people realizing that the Dulles Corridor looks good on paper. But to a 20-30-something, it is vanilla-ville and void of anything that would attract young talent. In addition, it's hella far from most of the universities in the DC area. Quite a trip for a prospective employee/intern.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:13 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,561,846 times
Given the mentioned statistics from Amazon directly about what this facility will mean (mainly 50,000 jobs with an average salary of $100k), I don't immediately think "college" as the main employment base. $100k average in downtown DC, in terms of housing stock, isn't going to do much but fill up some more apartments. So, most will commute in/out from the burbs anyway. The Dulles site will have a metro station right at it's door step, in an area where $100k is more meaningful to employee housing costs.

No argument the nightlife isn't the same. Although there is Reston Town Center and the continuing development plans for it that will speak further to those things, but no debate here that it's still not as "attractive" as a downtown DC location in that regard.

At the end of the day, it's all driven by numbers / cost. Beyond just the cost to build, it's also the cost to operate, cost to staff, cost to recruit, cost to retain. With a target of 50,000 employees, not everyone is going to be in that apartment renter profile, and your more senior / experienced folks are likely years beyond renting an apartment.

If I'm an employer, I don't see how you walking to the metro to go have fun, or walking to the venue, is really my problem. Either way, it's your decision to go out for the nightlife. My focus is what it takes to lure you to my company and to keep you happy. In that regard, cost of living is a big factor.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:05 AM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
If I'm an employer, I don't see how you walking to the metro to go have fun, or walking to the venue, is really my problem. Either way, it's your decision to go out for the nightlife. My focus is what it takes to lure you to my company and to keep you happy. In that regard, cost of living is a big factor.
These days, lots of employers, especially those targeting Millenials/Gen X'ers, are really putting a premium on the whole live/work/play factor these days, which is why Amazon's Seattle headquarters is downtown. They know that their targeted demographics prefer to be closer to where the action is and nobody likes long commutes. They aren't averse to suburban locations, but prefer closer-in suburban locations. In that respect, it's hard to see HQ2 going out any farther than Tysons if they pick NoVA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia