Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 10:12 AM

91 posts, read 111,668 times

Advertisements

I agree with Badger. Unless you served in the military you won't get anywhere in USAJobs. You will have better luck with the contractors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 06:27 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,464,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger21 View Post
The hardest part about getting a government job is getting somebody to look at your resume. Maybe the process has changed, but I was well over a year and a half into my new job before hearing back from the feds (back in 2008/2009). You need to know somebody in the industry to move along your request. I would be all over simplyhired/indeed.com using the search terms a user provided above to find a contractor. Make sure to highlight the buzzwords employers look for in desired skills and while they may have gone out of style since I graudated, a cover letter really helped me secure a job in a place where nepotism and "this person goes to my church" were a major source of labor. People don't know who you are so you have to impress them without exaggerating just how great your skills are.
“Nepotism and ‘this person goes to my church’”. — Isn’t that true in any town/city? I’m not disagreeing that it is very true in DC but I think it’s everywhere. In fact, regarding church, it’s probably less true in DC — not a real religious crowd.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:36 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,684,636 times
Where I work (Navy), we have an "associate's" program where we hire in people from the private sector who have a few years of accounting/finance experience. They come in as a GS-9, rotate through the NAVY for 2 years in various accounting/finance positions and that are placed in their home organization as a GS-13. That's how we get most of our new accounting hires. Not sure how to find these programs but they must be on USAJOBs. I believe it is handled out of a NAVY Command in Florida, even though you work in the DC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia