Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 05:02 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,669,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
So the OP's measuring stick of affluence is poorly built, cookie cutter, vinyl siding clad McMansions?

Um...ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I personally don't ever want to live in a cookie cutter suburb where all the houses look the same (and likely were built "overnight" and often have postage-stamp sized yards) - I like the variety and quality of older homes in the near suburbs.
One of the many reasons I left NoVA. I left a census designated place of overpriced 1-BR condos from the 1970's that people with more limited taste thought were "quaint" and moved to a city where you can buy an 1800's-era rowhouse with quality architectural detailing for less. If I "stuck it out" in NoVA I'd be living in a 1970's-era 1-BR taupe-colored condo with a galley kitchen with orange countertops. Here in Pittsburgh I'll be able to buy my own rowhouse in a couple of years and rent out the spare bedrooms so I can PROFIT off of my living situation.

I believe the OP's post was very harsh, but I agree that you don't get much at all for your money in terms of real estate in Northern Virginia vs. many other areas that are just as livable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 05:13 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,405,262 times
I think people, for some reason, tend to think NoVa is CT or NYC wealthy and it's not. NoVa is wealthy in the sense that a lot of people here have high paying jobs and they're smart with their money.

A lot of the kids I went to high school with came out of college with no student loans, their parents paid for it all out of pocket, that's sort of upper middle class wealth but no where near the level of CT and NYC wealth - it sounds like OP that's what you were expecting from NoVa.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:54 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,108,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I think people, for some reason, tend to think NoVa is CT or NYC wealthy and it's not. NoVa is wealthy in the sense that a lot of people here have high paying jobs and they're smart with their money.

A lot of the kids I went to high school with came out of college with no student loans, their parents paid for it all out of pocket, that's sort of upper middle class wealth but no where near the level of CT and NYC wealth - it sounds like OP that's what you were expecting from NoVa.
This is true. NoVA is largely upper middle class but doesn't have the big money areas like New York or Conn. Even pricey McLean couldn't hold a candle to Scarsdale or Greenwich.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:22 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,494,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
One of the many reasons I left NoVA. I left a census designated place of overpriced 1-BR condos from the 1970's that people with more limited taste thought were "quaint" and moved to a city where you can buy an 1800's-era rowhouse with quality architectural detailing for less. If I "stuck it out" in NoVA I'd be living in a 1970's-era 1-BR taupe-colored condo with a galley kitchen with orange countertops. Here in Pittsburgh I'll be able to buy my own rowhouse in a couple of years and rent out the spare bedrooms so I can PROFIT off of my living situation.

I believe the OP's post was very harsh, but I agree that you don't get much at all for your money in terms of real estate in Northern Virginia vs. many other areas that are just as livable.
This is not at all what I am looking for, nor how I would measure how well off I am doing. I guess it is different strokes for different folks.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:28 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,977,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

8 years and still renting? Don't jump into anything.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:29 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,775,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballDadandSoccerMom View Post
Northern Virginia, more specifically Fairfax / Alexandria / Arlington has to be the weirdest place in the United States. According to pretty much every forum, we make the most money. . . but you could barely tell. If you looked at most of the houses (not including the ones that were rebuilt in places where ranchers previously were) you would think we were in a blue collar town in any town USA. You have to go out into Loudoun or Prince William to get true suburbs. Not to be ranty, because quite frankly, I could never live anywhere but Mclean, but NoVA is hella weird. Just look at Falls Church, super rich, half the town looks bummy, and the zoning is really random. What are you guys thoughts on this? How a place can be so rich, yet not compare to most suburbs (for instance Ashburn, Short Pump in Richmond, or even any of the ATL, DFW, or CLT burbs)

Basically what I am saying is why does the “second richest county in america” look like much less desirable areas in places like Richmond or Philadelphia? Not trying to start any arguments by the way.
Fairfax looks more like a typical suburb than Arlington does. Even though I work in Fairfax, there is a reason I pay more to live in Arlington. I like Arlington’s older housing stock and unique grit. Real estate is all about location. The million dollar rancher in Arlington is $200k in Hampton or Newport News for GOOD reason.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:25 PM

35 posts, read 52,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
This is true. NoVA is largely upper middle class but doesn't have the big money areas like New York or Conn. Even pricey McLean couldn't hold a candle to Scarsdale or Greenwich.
But they seem similar in the sense that they are wealthy suburbs in relative proximity to a major metropolitan area. In some aspects it seems Great Falls or Potomac (MD) could be possibly more rich than areas of Scarsdale.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:26 PM

35 posts, read 52,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Troll.
This wasn’t meant to troll anyone. . . Sorry if you feel it does. . .

Old 02-07-2018, 07:30 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,585,841 times
Quote:
But they seem similar in the sense that they are wealthy suburbs in relative proximity to a major metropolitan area. In some aspects it seems Great Falls or Potomac (MD) could be possibly more rich than areas of Scarsdale.
There is plenty of 10M + homes in Mclean. The Saudi Ambassador lives above the river there near Chain Bridge. There are people with big house + land + horses in Mclean. Easily equivalent to NY or CT. Also don't forget about Middleberg another wealthy enclave.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:53 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,108,092 times
Quote:
Yes some of the richer parts of Great Falls and Potomac could compare well with the best parts of any place in the country. "If I was a rich man...".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia