Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2018, 06:23 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,008,896 times

Advertisements

I saw this on Reddit:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...lCU4Q/viewform

Is this true?? If so, I can't believe it's the first I've heard of it. (It's a petition to save Lake Accotink - it says the county is planning to stop dredging and let the lake fill up with silt).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 10:52 AM

540 posts, read 791,898 times
I've never been there and I don't know much about it, but the presentation of the options is really interesting:

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/...ion-012218.pdf

Old 02-15-2018, 01:49 PM

291 posts, read 636,282 times
Let it go. Virginia isn't Minnesota. There are two natural lakes in the entire state of Virginia, every other one is artificial. Unless they serve some environmental purpose it's a tremendous waste of resources to maintain these "lakes" if they're only used for a few boats and small scale fishing a few weekends a year. Lake Accotink has always had problems with silting and none of the other "solutions" really gets to the root of it. All the erosion and runoff from those nearby developments, lawns, parking lots, etc. would need to be addressed and quite frankly, that's simply not feasible.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:37 PM

230 posts, read 221,115 times
Lake Accotink holds significant recreational value for the areas that surround it. It would be a shame to lose that asset entirely. The proposal to restore the flow of Accotink Creek while establishing a smaller lake seems to strike some sensible middle ground.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:14 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,430,519 times
They've only dredged the lake three times in 50 years no way are they going to start doing it yearly with an annual cost 10x the other options even if it is a "mini dredge." $4.5 million a year on a fake lake? No way.

I think the smaller lake option will win out in the end as the county needs a cheaper alternative and this is a nice mix of the options. It also (from reading the proposal) seems like the best option from a wildlife perspective. None of the options mention doing anything with the hiking trails...I assume those will remain the same (or could expand under some options).

Everything that is currently done on Lake Accotink can still be done if they go with the smaller footprint lake, or at Burke Lake (which is barely ten miles away).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia