Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 02:52 PM

27 posts, read 120,828 times

Advertisements

We are likely moving to Fairfax county this summer. My youngest son will be five in June. He's a little behind in his language development (we adopted him from Vietnam when he was 3) so I'm considering having him wait a year to start kindergarten.

My question is, are most children in Fairfax starting kindergarten at 5, or are many families choosing to wait until their child is 6? And if we wait a year, are there any pre-schools in Fairfax that offer a "pre-K" type class for 5 year olds?

Thanks so much...
Christina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 03:23 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,104,194 times
I know of a few families in the area who have chosen to hold their children back a year before starting K. Technically, a child has to be 5 by Sept. 30th of the academic year to start K, which your child will be, but it's definitely your choice. Another thing that may impact your decision to wait a year is that Kinder is all day in many Fairfax County public schools already.

You have the option of enrolling him in a number of pre-schools that offer pre-K (half day, five days a week). Keep in mind that many preschools are already full for the Fall of 2008 because enrollment started in Jan. 2008. You might want to start looking into a school ASAP to find a slot.

One good thing in Fairfax County is that any early intervention services your child may need will be offered in his preschool or at your home.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:59 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,499,932 times
I live in Fairfax County and we only have half day kindergarten - so I would look into what your particular school offers. Most people tell me that it is better to wait a year for some kids - especially boys and summer birthdyas- you can always put him into a five half day pre-school.

good luck with your adopted son - my 5 yr old is adopted

Old 03-26-2008, 09:11 PM

47 posts, read 282,092 times
We have twin sons who turn five end of August and are opting to hold them a year as well. We have them enrolled in a private kindergarten program at a local preschool and then they will start public kindergarten the following year. They both have IEPs and require some services primarily for speech (they were born early and have had some delays related to that). When we did our research on private programs in the area there seemed to be quite a few but there are wait lists so you will want to look into this ASAP. Where will you be living?

Also, FYI, if you opt to hold your son a year you still need to contact the elementary school where he would be going to kindergarten and write a letter to them letting them know that you are not planning on enrolling him in the fall and will be waiting a year. Does you son receive services for his speech right now? If he has an IEP and requires services, the elementary school he will eventually attend will provide the services. In order for them to provide the services, you will have to fill out all of the enrollment information, including health forms, that are required as if he were going to kindergarten in the fall. The services will be provided at the school and you will have to bring him to the school to receive them, most likely, as early intervention services end at age 3 and then they are transferred over to the public school system to receive services (at least I'm pretty sure it works that way...it does where we live currently and from what others have explained to us, that is how it works with FCPS). Hope that helps!

Old 03-26-2008, 11:30 PM

27 posts, read 120,828 times
It's good to know he wouldn't be the only 6 year old in his class. Unfortunately, we can't enroll him right now because we really don't know where exactly we'll live. My husband is still in the process of finding a specific position with his company in one of their offices in the DC/Fairfax area so that will influence were we live (along with the process of house-shopping and all that...) But if anyone has recommendations for preschools we should look into, I'd love to get started researching at least.

My son doesn't have an IEP... to be honest I don't even know how to get something like that started and I'm not sure if he'd qualify. His language (speaking and comprehension) is definitely behind where his older siblings were at his age, but doesn't seem too far behind some of the kids in his pre-4 class. But now that you mention it emarsh, I think I should try to get him evaluated - makes sense to take advantage of any services we can get, right? Thanks so much for all the great advice, you all are a great help.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 10,065 times
I have a daughter she is 4 and half year and wanted go to school but head start programme didn't took her because of over $40000/year income limit and private school are too expensive that I cann't afford it. Is there any other solutions for this case.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:41 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,781,748 times
Many, many parents "hold back" their kids with August and September birthdays. So there will probably be several 6 year-olds at the start of Kindergarten. I wouldn't worry about it. Personallly, I think it's those of us who are at the other end who have to worry about their child being the youngest in their class. My son has a late July birthday and I pretty sure we will send him on time, and he'll probably be one of the youngest in his class. I've heard from many of my friends that their kids with July or August birthdays are the youngest or second youngest in their classes. Good luck! PS. I have a daughter who was adopted from China. You'll find a lot of families formed by adoption in the DC area.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:46 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,429,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuba View Post
I have a daughter she is 4 and half year and wanted go to school but head start programme didn't took her because of over $40000/year income limit and private school are too expensive that I cann't afford it. Is there any other solutions for this case.
Some preschools, especially church related ones, may have a scholarship program for a situation like this. It doesn't hurt to ask about this when you are looking at programs.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:49 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,429,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWChris View Post
It's good to know he wouldn't be the only 6 year old in his class. Unfortunately, we can't enroll him right now because we really don't know where exactly we'll live. My husband is still in the process of finding a specific position with his company in one of their offices in the DC/Fairfax area so that will influence were we live (along with the process of house-shopping and all that...) But if anyone has recommendations for preschools we should look into, I'd love to get started researching at least.

My son doesn't have an IEP... to be honest I don't even know how to get something like that started and I'm not sure if he'd qualify. His language (speaking and comprehension) is definitely behind where his older siblings were at his age, but doesn't seem too far behind some of the kids in his pre-4 class. But now that you mention it emarsh, I think I should try to get him evaluated - makes sense to take advantage of any services we can get, right? Thanks so much for all the great advice, you all are a great help.
I would start the process with the local child find where you are now living at this time, so it's at least started. If you are moving here next year, just before he turns five, the child find program in Fairfax will be referring you to the local elementary school as they do not do assessments just before the child should be entering school. I work in the schools and see all ages of starting in Kindergarten. What counts is what your "gut" tells you is the right thing to do. If it's just due to a possible language delay,then he may be able to get services in school that he wouldn't otherwise, but then if it's more than that, it's worth thinking about giving him the "gift of time".

Old 09-01-2010, 09:09 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,950,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWChris View Post
We are likely moving to Fairfax county this summer. My youngest son will be five in June. He's a little behind in his language development (we adopted him from Vietnam when he was 3) so I'm considering having him wait a year to start kindergarten.

My question is, are most children in Fairfax starting kindergarten at 5, or are many families choosing to wait until their child is 6? And if we wait a year, are there any pre-schools in Fairfax that offer a "pre-K" type class for 5 year olds?

Thanks so much...
Christina
Most wait, especially parents of boys. I knew boys with Spring birthdays who waited a year. Most principals advice parents to wait a year. It's always better to be among the oldest children than the youngest. Lots of the pre school offer pre-K classes for those who are eligible for kindergarten but choose to wait a year. It's the best gift you could give your child and not just or kindergarten, but for 7th grade, and 9th grade, and college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia