Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Northern Virginia to become real Virginia again, old frontier of the Appalachian Mountains, no pollution, Bull Run Mountains, invasion of fast food chains, cookie cutter homes, no tree subdivisions

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 11:43 PM

578 posts, read 2,099,221 times

Advertisements

Is anybody else here disturbed at how in the last two decades...the great legacy of civil war battlefields....agriculture...Appalachian mountains...and distict culture of Virginia has been bastardized from an invasion of fast food chained, cookie cutting homes in naked non treed subdivision?

I'm all for progression and diversity...but anything too much too soon is a bad thing.
It used to be once you entered Loudon County you did so on Rt 50 or Braddock Road (which wasn't paved)...and you saw a forest or farm.

It used to be the Bull Run Mountains had NO light pollution.

It used to Stafford was the beginning of the greater Richmond area.

Now...if I drive out to Purceville I see home depot glaring at night.
Lucketts and Lovettsville....they've become the next Chantilly.

It truly is depressing how our local leaders, relators, and businesses have lacked such foresight they sold out West Fairfax/Loudon/Prince William/Stafford and now Spotsylvania and Frederick County.

The Appalachian Mountains used to be the frontier...now they're an obstacle for the daily commute.

So sad that in 15 years Loudon County is going to look like central Fairfax.

The sad thing is...nothing we can do.
What can I do to have that country feel on Braddock Road at Route 659?
What can all the rezoning do...they'll just get more payoffs....and even if not another house is built...the Appalachians have already been scarred.
Sad.

If you want to see the blight of suburban sprawl...the ugliness of what 800,000 dollar houses the Toll Brothers and co have been allowed to belch on an endless buffet of rural land...then NOVA is the place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 03:13 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,332,045 times
So sad? Go to any place in the Rust Belt and find factories that have relocated their manufacturing to China and Mexico. Go anywhere in NY, Ohio, Michigan, All you see now is bombed out former manufacturing sites My home town had 30,000 jobs lost, and 7% unemployment rates. I relocated down here because the jobs and communities were gone back home. Crime was so bad, the best job in town was at a grocery store. This was the only place I could find a decent job. If you dont like it, move.

Read this article before you reply

U.S. Census: More people heading west, south - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/27/census.cities.ap/index.html - broken link)

Last edited by VRE332; 03-27-2008 at 03:33 AM..

Old 03-27-2008, 03:37 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
Is anybody else here disturbed at how in the last two decades...the great legacy of civil war battlefields....agriculture...Appalachian mountains...and distict culture of Virginia has been bastardized from an invasion of fast food chained, cookie cutting homes in naked non treed subdivision?

I'm all for progression and diversity...but anything too much too soon is a bad thing.
It used to be once you entered Loudon County you did so on Rt 50 or Braddock Road (which wasn't paved)...and you saw a forest or farm.

It truly is depressing how our local leaders, relators, and businesses have lacked such foresight they sold out West Fairfax/Loudon/Prince William/Stafford and now Spotsylvania and Frederick County.

The Appalachian Mountains used to be the frontier...now they're an obstacle for the daily commute.

What can all the rezoning do...they'll just get more payoffs....and even if not another house is built...the Appalachians have already been scarred.
Sad.

If you want to see the blight of suburban sprawl...the ugliness of what 800,000 dollar houses the Toll Brothers and co have been allowed to belch on an endless buffet of rural land...then NOVA is the place to be.
Personally, i'm leaving NoVA next year and as long as whatever virus NOVA has stays north of Richmond, i could care less.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:21 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,301,541 times
Quote:

Sad.

Well, what we want isn't what we're going to get unfortunately... The other side of the Appalachians is growing too I'm afraid. Winchester has every store imaginable and Front Royal has bowed a bit to economic reality and allowed Target and Walmart to arrive.... Meanwhile the areas in between like Strasburg and Stephens City are having a LOT of cookie cutter housing put up (has actually halted for the time being somewhat due to the real-estate "issues" but I'm sure it's only temporary)....

The sad truth is that some of this is needed to provide the tax money for local governments so they don't have to tax the ***** out of residents... The key is to maintain a strategy that doesn't hack up the landscape at the same time....

My biggest concern at the moment is development encroaching on places like the Cedar Creek Battlefield and such.... It's just a shame really....

Old 03-27-2008, 11:49 AM

578 posts, read 2,099,221 times
I can not believe Stephens City/Winchester/Strasburg and I-81 are being developed.
Tell me...it's still the rural country???

Where are these people commuting to?

Old 03-27-2008, 11:51 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,507,636 times
I am a newcomer and wish I had lived here years ago when it was nicer - but - lets face it - everywhere is becoming more and more crowded - population is booming - you cant stop it.
It is sad when I go back home to NJ and see all the farmland turned into Home Depots and ugly McMansions

Old 03-27-2008, 12:40 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,986,328 times
Quote:
I can not believe Stephens City/Winchester/Strasburg and I-81 are being developed.

I live in rural area in Winchester that is still "country" but yes, a lot of development both commercial and residential has and is still going on. You wouldn't believe the changes in both Winchester and Stephens City.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:39 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,177,929 times
I'm a relatively recent arrival (~ 3 years) but I can respect the lament that longtime residents may have for the quieter past they used to know. Unfortunately, that seems to be the flipside of having a resilient, often red-hot employment market. I imagine there a lot of people who have been priced out of closer-in areas where they would prefer to work and play.

Perhaps one solution would be to push the federal government to "spread the wealth" of employment opportunities more evenly across the states. However, it may take a lot to convince them, let alone government contractors, to do so.

But again, I respect the feelings of those who feel an unexpected future is encroaching on their preferred past.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:53 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,619,147 times
I am also a relatively new arrival, just under four years and there have been HUGE changes in this area even in that short period of time. Let's face it this is a very desirable region to live in (aside from awful traffic and housing costs) so with continued job growth in both the government and private sectors, we can only expect more and more people to move here. Believe me, it is great to be nostalgic for the past, however I would much rather take the growth in this region compared to the stagnation/decline I bolted from in WV.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:41 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,310,193 times
Quote:

Quite a few to DC. What i've been told is that a number of federal agencies are relocating out that way from DC as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia