Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 02:42 PM

46 posts, read 55,821 times

Advertisements

Hello. I recently go pulled over in Warrenton, VA for going 98mph in a 70mph. The officer gave me a reckless driving ticket (he also only asked me for my license — didn’t ask for my registration or proof of insurance, which was odd). There was one car within eye distance and it was a sunny / clear sky Saturday afternoon.

Within the week I found “one of the best” lawyers in the area (who charged $2,500). Prior to this, I had a completely clean record. I am 25 years old and have been an Arlington, VA resident for about two years. Prior to moving to VA, I lived in NJ for all my life. I have tried to take a lot of proactive efforts to better my situation, such as:

* Take a defensive driving course (8 hours)
* Take a reckless driving course (4 hours)
* Got my car speedometer recalibrated (I was clocked at going 98 but after getting my vehicle professionally checked out, I was informed the actual speed I was going at at 93 — 5mph slower than I was pulled over for)
* Volunteer (since I moved here I’ve volunteered at more than 12 different events in the northern Virginia area)
* Print out a copy of my VA and NJ driving record (both clear records)
* Print out my resume (currently hold an account manager role for a leading technology company)
* Print my credit score (under category of “excellent”)

I’ve never had to go to court before and truly at no point in my life did I even think I’d face the possibility of spending time in jail and/or having my licenses suspended...

All and all, I’m not really sure what to expect and was hoping someone who’s been pulled over in the area before with a similar charge can share their story with me... I’ve been told the judge for this court is difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 04:09 PM

830 posts, read 1,018,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettrcpt View Post
Hello. I recently go pulled over in Warrenton, VA for going 98mph in a 70mph. The officer gave me a reckless driving ticket (he also only asked me for my license — didn’t ask for my registration or proof of insurance, which was odd). There was one car within eye distance and it was a sunny / clear sky Saturday afternoon.

Within the week I found “one of the best” lawyers in the area (who charged $2,500). Prior to this, I had a completely clean record. I am 25 years old and have been an Arlington, VA resident for about two years. Prior to moving to VA, I lived in NJ for all my life. I have tried to take a lot of proactive efforts to better my situation, such as:

* Take a defensive driving course (8 hours)
* Take a reckless driving course (4 hours)
* Got my car speedometer recalibrated (I was clocked at going 98 but after getting my vehicle professionally checked out, I was informed the actual speed I was going at at 93 — 5mph slower than I was pulled over for)
* Volunteer (since I moved here I’ve volunteered at more than 12 different events in the northern Virginia area)
* Print out a copy of my VA and NJ driving record (both clear records)
* Print out my resume (currently hold an account manager role for a leading technology company)
* Print my credit score (under category of “excellent”)

I’ve never had to go to court before and truly at no point in my life did I even think I’d face the possibility of spending time in jail and/or having my licenses suspended...

All and all, I’m not really sure what to expect and was hoping someone who’s been pulled over in the area before with a similar charge can share their story with me... I’ve been told the judge for this court is difficult.
Lawyer up, take your defensive driving course and log plenty of new community service hours. While it's nice you attempted to get a re-calibration, it isn't worth much since 93 mph will still be viewed as a dangerous an extremely reckless speed. Thankfully, your record is otherwise clean, so with the proper mix of positive equities and the drivers course, you might get it reduced. Keep in mind, high speeds like that could result in jail time. Please follow the speed limits as best you can. Virginia courts do not play and people here take pride in the strict enforcement. Get good legal counsel and follow all your attorney's instructions.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:26 PM

707 posts, read 1,407,647 times
I would get a Lawyer my friend, going 98 mph is no joke.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:53 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,425,783 times
Quote:
truly at no point in my life did I even think I’d face the possibility of spending time in jail and/or having my licenses suspended...
Then why were you driving 98 mph? I'll never understand these one post newbies that have clean records yet were going 90+ on the highway (clearly not your first time doing it).

I hope your get your license suspended, maybe that will teach you a lesson And yes it is a very real possibility at that speed. Some courts might even toss you in jail for a couple days as well.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:56 PM

The amount of Virginia licensed drivers I saw last night surpassing 90+ had to be at least 10... As a previous resident of NJ, one thing Virginia really should do is make it less of a secret that reckless driving is a class one misdemeanor. Considering it is the only state in the country that does this... Very weird that a state prides themselves in being a speed trap.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:00 PM

6,558 posts, read 8,387,833 times
Quote:
The amount of Virginia licensed drivers I saw last night surpassing 90+ had to be at least 10... As a previous resident of NJ, one thing Virginia really should do is make it less of a secret that reckless driving is a class one misdemeanor. Considering it is the only state in the country that does this... Very weird that a state prides themselves in being a speed trap.
Were you on I-66?

Old 05-29-2018, 05:04 PM

Yeah Free State Road Overpass — I-66

Old 05-29-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Then why were you driving 98 mph? I'll never understand these one post newbies that have clean records yet were going 90+ on the highway (clearly not your first time doing it).

I hope your get your license suspended, maybe that will teach you a lesson And yes it is a very real possibility at that speed. Some courts might even toss you in jail for a couple days as well.
^^ Lol thanks for the kind words, forum hero!

Old 05-29-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post

Also the reason why they’re “one post newbies” is because it’s not a reoccurring issue lol I made a singular error in judge in a speed trap county of Virginia (70mph speed limit and 80-85mph is reckless driving...)

Old 05-29-2018, 05:39 PM

6,791 posts, read 4,233,580 times
I don't know why people expect anyone to believe them when they say it's a 'one off'. I sure hope no judge actually buys it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia