Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,277 times

Advertisements

We are in our mid-60s and are planning to move to Northern Virginia where our children live. We are looking for suggestions where we can find a condo apt with 3 bedrooms, underground parking and close to the metro. Having a pool is preferable.

We are hoping to live in an area where there other young Jewish seniors and an active, well established, reform temple. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 03:08 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannklein View Post
We are in our mid-60s and are planning to move to Northern Virginia where our children live. We are looking for suggestions where we can find a condo apt with 3 bedrooms, underground parking and close to the metro. Having a pool is preferable.

We are hoping to live in an area where there other young Jewish seniors and an active, well established, reform temple. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Maryland. Rockville And Gaithersburg.
You need to Google search public transportation on the Wmata site but Rockville is subway friendly

Old 06-03-2018, 03:18 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Northern Virginia is beautiful.

I am Catholic but found
Beth El Congregation Synagogue
520 Fairmont ave. Winchester VA 22601
Phone # 1-540-667-1043
Hope this helps.

Winchester,Kearnstown,Stephen City, within the vicinity of Apple Blossom Mall are just beautiful places
in Northern Virginia.
There is a lot of real estate being developed in Stephen City as we speak.
Winchester and Kearnstown are older but stable communities with rich American History.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:22 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,728,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post

I am Catholic but found
Phone # 1-540-667-1043
Hope this helps.

Winchester,Kearnstown,Stephen City, within the vicinity of Apple Blossom Mall are just beautiful places
in Northern Virginia.
Winchester and Kearnstown are older but stable communities with rich American History.
All the above may be true, but no where near Alexandria or the Metro.

Not sure what your budget is. Are you wanting the city of Alexandria, high rise sort of apts? The nice ones inside the beltway can run a pretty penny, and wanting 3 bedrooms puts you in the $3500+ range (if you want one with a pool and underground parking). Most of the people that want to live in places like that want the close commute etc being inside the beltway provides.

If you only want metro on the weekends or to visit family, I would look outside the beltway in 22315. For that kind of money you can get a townhouse.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:22 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
You beat me to saying that the places people started recommending aren't Alexandria! And a budget would certainly help. I'm also guessing they want a condo. because they: want 1 level, don't want a yard, assume they want an elevator if they want underground parking.......... hard to say.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:50 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Depends on your budget. If your budget is tight, but you want what for this area is a big apt, and a big pool, I would look in the Landmark area of Alexandria (the "west end") Lots of seniors in the older hi rise condos there, and not far to Beth El (its been around since before the Civil War, well established enough?) , the Reform shul in Alexandria. Or just contact the folks at Beth El and ask them.

If you do come to the City, brachaim Habaim.

https://www.bethelhebrew.org/

https://www.bethelhebrew.org/communi...aissance-group

http://www.watergateatlandmark.com/ ??????

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 06-04-2018 at 11:59 AM..

Old 06-04-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
All the above may be true, but no where near Alexandria or the Metro.

Not sure what your budget is. Are you wanting the city of Alexandria, high rise sort of apts? The nice ones inside the beltway can run a pretty penny, and wanting 3 bedrooms puts you in the $3500+ range (if you want one with a pool and underground parking). Most of the people that want to live in places like that want the close commute etc being inside the beltway provides.

If you only want metro on the weekends or to visit family, I would look outside the beltway in 22315. For that kind of money you can get a townhouse.

22315? Eh thats kingstowne. Definitely Jews there, and some older ones (mostly ones who stayed when the kids left) but not that close to any Synagogue. I don't think that is the lifestyle they are looking for.

They will have a hard time finding an affordable 3BR walkable to a metro station (maybe Huntington metro area?) anywhere in NoVa. But in West Alexandria they will have underground parking (at least in the better buildings) and both DASH buses to get around the City and metrobuses to access metrorail. And in a few years a BRT line.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post

I am Catholic but found
Phone # 1-540-667-1043
Hope this helps.

in Northern Virginia.
BTW, that is a different Beth El. There is also a Beth El in the Maryland suburbs of DC, but its Conservative IIRC.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:38 PM

406 posts, read 625,438 times
I wish people stopping saying "affordable" in their original post.

How are we suppose to advise someone when we don't know what "affordable" means to them?

Our lives would be much easier if people state their price range and timeline to find a property. This would tell us if the individual is serious about moving to the area.

I digress.

Try the Montebello Condo Complex off Route 1.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:01 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Walker View Post
I wish people stopping saying "affordable" in their original post.

How are we suppose to advise someone when we don't know what "affordable" means to them?

Our lives would be much easier if people state their price range and timeline to find a property. This would tell us if the individual is serious about moving to the area.

I digress.

Try the Montebello Condo Complex off Route 1.
Agreed. Someone in their "60's" are in the upper end of their income band. To me, affordable means $2500 - $3500 range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia