Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 02:35 AM

776 posts, read 1,052,629 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry to say it but my wife fell for this scam yesterday. Of course I'm pissed off, but there's not much I can do. I don't understand why she didn't call me before she gave them any money, and why she thought paying back taxes using a debit card to buy gift cards was legit.

Since she authorized the charges on her debit card we can't really dispute the charges. USAA is working with me on this but we'll be lucky if we get anything back. They told us to file a police report, which we did using Fairfax County's Financial Crimes Online Reporting System. Hopefully we'll get a report in a few days that I can take back to USAA,

Here's the short story - Someone called her claiming to be from the IRS, that we'd been audited,and owed around $7,000. Lots of threats about taking her to jail, that they'd already sent two letters and a sheriff's deputy had come to the house and left a notice, etc., etc.

I know some of the medications she takes can make her a bit loopy, and she's been under a lot of stress lately because of her physical issues, but damn. It definitely puts a dent in our finances but its not catastrophic. Just less $ to pay down the credit cards this month.

Just a heads up so hopefully no one else falls for this type of scam.

Note that the IRS does not:
• Call to demand immediate payment using a specific payment method such as a prepaid debit card, gift card or wire transfer. Generally, the IRS will first mail a bill to any taxpayer who owes taxes.
• Demand that you pay taxes without the opportunity to question or appeal the amount they say you owe. You should also be advised of your rights as a taxpayer.
•Threaten to bring in local police, immigration officers or other law-enforcement to have you arrested for not paying. The IRS also cannot revoke your driver’s license, business licenses, or immigration status. Threats like these are common tactics scam artists use to trick victims into buying into their schemes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 05:04 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,683,268 times
I've been getting these calls almost daily (but at least once a week). To me, they sound obviously fake and they are irritating. I'm sorry your wife fell for that.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:11 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,462,194 times
Please don’t give up. When an elderly relative fell for a ransomware scam, another relative (in another state) was able to get the money back.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:35 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,239,225 times
I'm sorry this happened. In recent years here I've been approached by these scams:

Recorded calls claiming to be from the IRS, stating this was my "last chance" since I'd ignored previous notices and that the IRS was suing me. The message would leave a number to call back (probably a burner phone number). The first time, my wife called me at work all concerned, so I explained that the IRS isn't calling people with threats to sue. I've gotten many of these calls.

Second type was a real-person call, to my wife, purporting to be from Loudoun County police, saying there was a bench warrant for her arrest for failure to appear for jury duty. We live in Alexandria - unlikely she'd be on a Loudoun County jury. Told her her drivers license had been suspended and they could send officers to arrest her, but she could pay the fine by using a type of debit card you buy in stores like 7-11. She let me talk to them and I'd by then Googled it and found this scam was going around. I just played dumb with the guy for a while, trying to get his contact information, then we called the local police and filed a report.

My sister frequently gets calls claiming to be the police from a state that is several over from hers, telling her there's a warrant for her arrest. She just laughs and tells them to come over and pick her up.

If anyone phones and demands payment, it's almost certain to be a scam, but if there's any cause to wonder if it's genuine, ask for the caller's information and say you need to verify and will get back to them. My "Loudoun County police" caller gave me a Yahoo email address when I asked!

Old 08-10-2018, 03:26 PM

15,154 posts, read 27,842,757 times
Of course this isn't Virginia specific (sorry your wife fell for it). These scams are well-known. I don't answer the phone, usually they hang up but there is the occasional message of the police coming for me, IRS is after me, warrants out, etc.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:22 PM

18,245 posts, read 25,903,448 times
I've been getting crackpot calls like that for some time. For the most part only one individual will call per day, but on this day the number appeared twice on my caller ID. the first time I typed in the number on a search and several sites opened up--"who called me?" and other related sites. The second time I answered the phone and said

"You have reached the phone number to the Mesa County Wire Fraud Task Force. An agent will be available to take your call shortly."

I put the phone down, listened in for maybe 5 seconds----and then CLICK!

Old 08-10-2018, 06:34 PM

20,182 posts, read 9,083,605 times
IRS conducts all of their business through the Unites States Postal Service.

They never call.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:22 PM

959 posts, read 2,026,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
IRS conducts all of their business through the Unites States Postal Service.

They never call.

The IRS conducts much of its business through the mail. They do however call at times. Here's the note about the scam and if the IRS will call, directly from them:

The IRS initiates most contacts through regular mail delivered by the United States Postal Service.
However, there are special circumstances in which the IRS will call or come to a home or business, such as when a taxpayer has an overdue tax bill, to secure a delinquent tax return or a delinquent employment tax payment, or to tour a business as part of an audit or during criminal investigations.
Even then, taxpayers will generally first receive several letters (called “notices”) from the IRS in the mail.

The note goes on to say they will never demand immediate payment, make threats, or request specific payment methods....those are the giveaways it is fake.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:33 PM

190 posts, read 845,005 times
Sorry to hear this.

I know a guy who got such a call but really played along with the whole scam and concocted an elaborate skit including having the said deputy show up at the house and knock on the door, having a drawn out argument with the deputy, a tussle followed by “gunshots” all for the scammer to hear on the phone. Btw the scammer hung up

Old 08-30-2018, 05:34 AM

20,182 posts, read 9,083,605 times
The IRS doesn't initiate contact with taxpayers by email, text messages or social media channels to request personal or financial information. This includes requests for PIN numbers, passwords or similar access information for credit cards, banks or other financial accounts.

https://www.irs.gov/privacy-disclosure/report-phishing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: