Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 07:12 PM

19 posts, read 27,717 times

Advertisements

I am considering applying to a job that I have a pretty good shot at getting at Quantico. If I get it I will likely be living in Ashburn by that time. There will be no other option but to live in Ashburn for personal reasons relating to my fiancé so I know that I either have to suck up a bad commute or not take the job. Basically every commute from Ashburn be at to DC or anywhere outside of Loudoun county is going to suck. This I know but unfortunately I don't have much choice in that matter. I'm looking for some input on people who have done or currently do a commute from Ashburn to Quantico. What times do you leave in the morning and come home in the evening, are there other rideshare options that any of you use, what are the different routes/ alternatives that you would suggest to avoid the worst of traffic etc. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 02:46 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
You don't say what the hours are but assuming this is a normal 9-5 type job it really is not that bad of a commute. At least an hour no matter which way you go but you have a few choices. Personally I would do the Rt 28 option to Manassas then 234 to either 619 or all the way to 95. While the so called reverse commute is not as easy as it was years ago this is still not a bad commute in terms of traffic as compared to those going into the DC area. You're still looking at an hour no matter the route you choose.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:57 AM

19 posts, read 27,717 times
Thank you so much for the advice. And yes it's a normal 9-to-5 although I think I would try to do earlier hours like maybe 730 to 430 or something like that. We'll see. I wish there was a VRE or some kind of train service from that part of Virginia down to the southern end but there's not. So we shall see.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:19 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
So, I don't think it is as easy as Bigfoot says. It's not that easy to get to 28 from Ashburn unless you live right on the Greenway ($$). I would expect it to average about an hour ONLY if you plan on arriving at 7:30 am. As you make that start time later, expect the commute time to increase to 1.5hours or more.

Coming home will take longer, as 4:30 pm is not "off hours". The commute is in full swing at that point. I'd say closer to an hour and twenty minutes on average.

Please note that "on average" means you can usually expect that, but it could be much more. It will NEVER be significantly less. My commute is 1.15 hours "on average", but I have had a fair number of days where it was almost three hours. It has NEVER been under 1 hour (and that is only when I need to arrive by 6:30 am.)

Old 09-18-2018, 11:34 AM

271 posts, read 446,457 times
Reverse commute but still a long drive....plus getting on and off base is another challenge which increases overall commute time.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:01 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
I live in Woodbridge and, on the weekends, if I travel to Ashburn, it is pretty much a solid hour. Quantico is farther and the work weekdays will had more time to that.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
So, I don't think it is as easy as Bigfoot says. It's not that easy to get to 28 from Ashburn unless you live right on the Greenway ($$). I would expect it to average about an hour ONLY if you plan on arriving at 7:30 am. As you make that start time later, expect the commute time to increase to 1.5hours or more.

Coming home will take longer, as 4:30 pm is not "off hours". The commute is in full swing at that point. I'd say closer to an hour and twenty minutes on average.

Please note that "on average" means you can usually expect that, but it could be much more. It will NEVER be significantly less. My commute is 1.15 hours "on average", but I have had a fair number of days where it was almost three hours. It has NEVER been under 1 hour (and that is only when I need to arrive by 6:30 am.)

Yes. There will be some spots that will cause slow downs with leaving Ashburn being one. But at least this commute does have some spots where you're the reverse traffic. Not an easy drive but better than leaving Ashburn and driving into DC in my opinion.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:06 AM

271 posts, read 446,457 times
Agreed - If it was me and this career move wasnt career enabling, I'd pass and let another person much closer to MCB take the position. Ashburn into base (much of your stress and end-to-end commute time depends where on base) and parked is long even though much easier than many peoples' commutes.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:31 AM

91 posts, read 111,385 times
If you get this job I'd trade in Ashburn for Woodbridge then. When we lived there we had a neighbor that worked at Quantico so a reverse commute for them and they were really pleased with their commute. Honestly, Woodbridge is a lot nicer then everyone gives it credit.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecessionCasualty View Post
If you get this job I'd trade in Ashburn for Woodbridge then. When we lived there we had a neighbor that worked at Quantico so a reverse commute for them and they were really pleased with their commute. Honestly, Woodbridge is a lot nicer then everyone gives it credit.

Some of it is and some areas are to be avoided. But if one can afford to live in Ashburn they should be able to afford the nicer areas in Woodbridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia