Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 11:18 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,991,242 times

Advertisements

What is the plurality religion in NOVA? I know it is a very liberal area, and thus supposedly would be secular/nonreligious. However, I'd also expect a lot of mainline, liberal churches, Reform Jews, and Muslims.

Of course, there'd probably be a good deal of conservative Evangelicals (after all, it's technically, though not culturally, in The South and the South is dominated by Southern Baptists).

I have never been to NOVA myself, just wondering because my friend (we're from the Los Angeles area) and her entire family grew up (and still is) Catholic, except for her sister, who converted to become an Evangelical Presbyterian. Her sister now lives in NOVA. I asked her why her sister became an Evangelical. She said that actually, Catholics and Evangelicals believe in "pretty much the same thing" and that there aren't very many Catholic churches in NOVA so her sister's only option is to go to a Protestant church.

So, is it true that there aren't a lot of Catholic churches in NOVA, or does my friend just not have a clue about religion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 11:53 PM

4,474 posts, read 8,170,755 times
I've lived in Prince William county since 1989 and I've gone to 6 different Catholic churches in the county. There are plenty of options if she's willing to put in a little effort of googling.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:14 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,284,925 times
I've never felt the need to count but I know I've seen quite a few Catholic churches in the NOVA area.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:04 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,704,281 times
There are PLENTY of Catholic churches in NOVA. Plenty. I don't think they are quite as prevalent as in Maryland, but close enough.

While I am not Catholic, most of my friends are and I think they would disagree with being compared to Evangelicals. I think their similarities end with just being Christian.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:31 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,246,641 times
This is like someone saying they became a vegetarian when they moved to NoVA because there are no meat restaurants.

The area has all sorts of religions and denominations of religions.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:16 AM

16,440 posts, read 12,604,843 times
The stats on City Data are 8 years old, so I'd be interested in the current stats. But in 2010, there were more Catholics in Fairfax County than Evangelical Protestants, but FAR more Evangelical congregations than Catholic congregations. And the growth in both Evangelical Protestant and Evangelical Protestant congregations was more than 80% between 2000 and 2010, whereas the number of Catholics shrank and the number of Catholic congregations only grew 12% in the same time.

https://www.city-data.com/county/reli...County-VA.html

It's true that the Catholic church, especially in urban and suburban areas tend toward fewer larger congregations. So by comparison, there aren't very many Catholic churches in NOVA.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:23 AM

26,706 posts, read 41,855,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
What is the plurality religion in NOVA? I know it is a very liberal area, and thus supposedly would be secular/nonreligious. However, I'd also expect a lot of mainline, liberal churches, Reform Jews, and Muslims.

Of course, there'd probably be a good deal of conservative Evangelicals (after all, it's technically, though not culturally, in The South and the South is dominated by Southern Baptists).

I have never been to NOVA myself, just wondering because my friend (we're from the Los Angeles area) and her entire family grew up (and still is) Catholic, except for her sister, who converted to become an Evangelical Presbyterian. Her sister now lives in NOVA. I asked her why her sister became an Evangelical. She said that actually, Catholics and Evangelicals believe in "pretty much the same thing" and that there aren't very many Catholic churches in NOVA so her sister's only option is to go to a Protestant church.

So, is it true that there aren't a lot of Catholic churches in NOVA, or does my friend just not have a clue about religion?
I’m an atheist myself but I promise you there is no shortage of Catholic Churches. I’m a quick walk from a pretty popular one in North Arlington.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:52 PM

15,174 posts, read 27,908,712 times
No idea why the OP posted in this thread but there are churches of all denominations in the area.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:44 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,294,733 times
There are soooo many Catholic Churches. So many more than where I’m from in Texas.

And in no way are they “practically the same” in any way. Like, at all.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:15 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,105,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post

It's true that the Catholic church, especially in urban and suburban areas tend toward fewer larger congregations. So by comparison, there aren't very many Catholic churches in NOVA.
This is true. You see much fewer Catholic than Protestant churches along the roadside.... however, EACH Catholic church tends to have MUCH larger congregational memberships. Catholic churches also as a rule do not list themselves in the "yellow pages" (if anyone even uses that resource anymore). It is ridiculous to say that NoVA does not have many Catholic churches.

Bishop O'Connell high school in North Arlington, is the largest-enrollment private high school in the D.C. metro area. Both the Bobby and Ted Kennedy families used to live in NoVA. The most recent previous Governor of VA was Catholic.

Here is an official listing of all parishes.

https://www.arlingtondiocese.org/find-a-mass

https://www.arlingtondiocese.org/parish-finder

You mentioned Reformed Jews. Jews of the metro D.C. area as a whole, are much more numerous throughout Montgomery County, MD, than they are in NoVA. The largest Jewish congregation in NoVA, is Temple Rodef Shalom. Annandale also has a Jewish community center.

Last edited by slowlane3; 10-08-2018 at 07:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia