Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 08:33 PM

15,474 posts, read 25,941,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Thank you for running home and registering for the forum with this exciting tale about a basic speeding ticket NOVA cops write hundreds of times a day.

I was actually surprised that the cops were watching speeders there. I can't remember the last time I saw them doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 08:39 PM

294 posts, read 221,535 times
You should thank God that you live somewhere that actually enforces traffic laws. Here in the Phoenix area we no longer have anything that even resembles traffic enforcement. You no longer see anyone getting pulled over. You see people driving like maniacs every couple of minutes. I hear cars and motorcycles drag racing every night on the major road 1/4 mile from my home, this goes on until 11 or 12PM. I have no idea how my neighbors sleep who live less than 100ft from that road. Paying 80K pensions to 40 year old retired LEO's is more important than enforcing traffic laws. NOBODY in any government agency should get a pension over 50K and never before the age of 60 unless they are disabled and CANNOT work in any way. We no longer have governments, they are now just organized crime determined to tax us to death.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:34 AM

707 posts, read 1,415,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Larry View Post
You should thank God that you live somewhere that actually enforces traffic laws. Here in the Phoenix area we no longer have anything that even resembles traffic enforcement. You no longer see anyone getting pulled over. You see people driving like maniacs every couple of minutes. I hear cars and motorcycles drag racing every night on the major road 1/4 mile from my home, this goes on until 11 or 12PM. I have no idea how my neighbors sleep who live less than 100ft from that road. Paying 80K pensions to 40 year old retired LEO's is more important than enforcing traffic laws. NOBODY in any government agency should get a pension over 50K and never before the age of 60 unless they are disabled and CANNOT work in any way. We no longer have governments, they are now just organized crime determined to tax us to death.
Don't feel bad its just as bad in South Florida, I do about 75 mph and I get cars blowing by me at 90 mph
and above and not a cop in sight ever.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:54 AM

7,031 posts, read 14,533,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Larry View Post
Business as usual in DFW and Southern California as well.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:48 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,297,355 times
I was pretty spoiled these last few weeks. Driving through Tennessee, Kentucky, Georgia, and the Carolinas I got very used to driving 79 mph. Crossing the Virginia line, I felt like I was crawling at 55.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:54 AM

2,262 posts, read 1,148,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio16 View Post
Hello, this is my first post here.
Got a speeding ticket hours ago, and have no clue what to do about it. I have clean drive record.
The police officer wrote a 65/55 mph speeding ticket to me. I was on the Loudoun County PKW to the Route 606.
Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
You have three choices,
1.) Pay the ticket, get the points and increase your insurance
2.) Go to court and talk to the prosecutor and see if he will reduce the ticket to a non-point violation
(If they do that there-it will result in a high fine but you get off scott free.)
3.) hire a lawyer for $500 to go to court with you, then see #2.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:19 AM

20,292 posts, read 9,194,003 times
I'd suggest you go to traffic court, sit and watch a half dozen speeding ticket cases, then decide what to do.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 689 times
If this is your first speeding violation in a few years you can go to court and fight it. They will often arrange for a reduced charged or a zero point violation if your record is generally good. You can literally say "first offense in X number of years, Id like a pass please". Make certain you dress accordingly, I was surprised at the amount of people poorly dressed and not so surprised at their outcome.

That being said, welcome to NOVA. There is no other place on earth I have found with more police policing for minor traffic violations. I've since sold my sports car here. Its simply isnt worth it.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:36 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,374,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconflux View Post
If this is your first speeding violation in a few years you can go to court and fight it. They will often arrange for a reduced charged or a zero point violation if your record is generally good. You can literally say "first offense in X number of years, Id like a pass please". Make certain you dress accordingly, I was surprised at the amount of people poorly dressed and not so surprised at their outcome.

That being said, welcome to NOVA. There is no other place on earth I have found with more police policing for minor traffic violations. I've since sold my sports car here. Its simply isnt worth it.
Your sports car was causing you to violate traffic laws? What kind of violations were you cited for?

Old 01-10-2019, 11:14 AM

97 posts, read 113,803 times
The question would be if you do not agree with speed measurement, then traffic court is where you make the case. Otherwsie it sounds like you will not get off.

One time in NJ I got 61 in a 50...the cop was travelling head on 50 mph towards me...I did not think I was going 61. But I lost. It had not occurred to me he was clocking me so I did not check, but I was going 50 I thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia