Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 09:15 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
So one can only live comfortably if living alone? All nurses have debt?

There is a shortage of nurses. Most places have sign on bonuses for staying because they know otherwise you will run off when they get their advance nursing degrees or a higher salary offer. Yes you can make more if want to work in a rural area that is less desirable.

How much do you think a new nurse should make? $77K /year for staying three years is not enough? It's a bachelor's level position.
Also every nurse I know is hourly, not salary. Overtime and holiday pay adds up quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 12:07 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,246 times
I’m not a nurse. Just sharing the info I have which is both current and relevant.
Baby nurses don’t get those kind of sign-on bonuses; they are for nurses with at least a few year’s experience.

No not every nurse has nursing school debt. Lots do. Nursing can be a rewarding career, but training to become a nurse can be costly. Many nurses start their careers with hefty student loan balances.“ https://loans.usnews.com/what-nurses...an-forgiveness
No, not every nurse wants to get an advanced nursing degree. Some do.
Yes, many single people dont like the idea of having roommates once they are out of college. Others don’t mind.

Talked to another nurse friend today (L&D). She shared that many of her single coworkers struggle to live in this area and are looking to move to areas that have the same pay but lower cost of living. Again, just sharing.

If anyone else has actual info to share, I’m sure the OP will appreciate it!

Old 01-02-2019, 02:18 PM

10 posts, read 9,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
I’m not a nurse. Just sharing the info I have which is both current and relevant.
Baby nurses don’t get those kind of sign-on bonuses; they are for nurses with at least a few year’s experience.

No not every nurse has nursing school debt. Lots do. Nursing can be a rewarding career, but training to become a nurse can be costly. Many nurses start their careers with hefty student loan balances.“ https://loans.usnews.com/what-nurses...an-forgiveness
No, not every nurse wants to get an advanced nursing degree. Some do.
Yes, many single people dont like the idea of having roommates once they are out of college. Others don’t mind.

Talked to another nurse friend today (L&D). She shared that many of her single coworkers struggle to live in this area and are looking to move to areas that have the same pay but lower cost of living. Again, just sharing.

If anyone else has actual info to share, I’m sure the OP will appreciate it!
A lot of hospitals offer a pretty big incentive to new nurses signing a contract for a residency, that I do know. As for struggling in the area, as a staff nurse it isn’t realistic to live in some parts of NoVA on a single income. This could especially be true depending on what your expectations are.

I have a few friends guiding me now too.

One last question for you guys, what should I expect for daycare? I have a 3 year old and eventually an infant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia