Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 09:57 PM

19 posts, read 18,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
Any specific schools as in colleges? George Mason is in Fairfax (main campus) as are some other schools around DC area.
Looking into trade schools, fast track classes

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack007 View Post
Mcdwg11,

If you're not aware of it, please look into the Slug Lines (Slug-Lines.com - Slugging and Slug Lines Information For Washington DC) that are available in N.VA.
This may be helpful in opening up your spouse's commuting options as well as help in picking a location further outside the beltway with more space, amenities, and lower cost.
For renting a house, $2,200-$2,300 can easily get you a 3-4 Bed house with a backyard to give your dogs some room to stretch their legs. I'm more familiar with the Stafford area. It's just south of MCB Quantico. Using a site that has home rentals such as realtor.com can help you track down what's available.

There are 3 slug line lots in the Stafford area and the Pentagon is one of the top slug line destinations. Slugging is ideal if you have set hours. If regular long work days or being on-call for emergencies that may keep the spouse late at work past when slugs or drivers are available, then being closer to work and bus/subway commuting might be more appropriate.

Additionally , we have commuter rail (VRE) and there are charter bus services with reserved seating that pick up passengers at the Park and Ride lots. So, there are many ways to skin the cat of commuting from outside the beltway.

Finally, you may want to ask your spouse if there are vanpool options at her office (specifically) and within the Pentagon (generally) and where the locations are on the "home" side. This could provide a reserved seating option with familiar people to and from work each day. One of the downsides of slugging is the crap shoot of who you're riding with.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the information, my wife has been exploring all the options since we decided to look into Stafford.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnElmore View Post
I would agree that the Woodbridge area will probably be your best bet with your budget. You will definitely get much more for your money. I would not rule out other areas, but you're going to find much more to look at in the Woodbridge area.
We decided for Stafford now, it's a bit farther but we don't want to take any chances with our kids. We did find several options within our budget and someone is helping us in the area as well.

Thank you for the reply

Old 02-14-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallystoppedlurking View Post
You have two kids... if they are school aged please don't. Hell even pk age.. gotta do some research. Creme was our go too... seems they fell off quality wise and got rid of the director. There are some new daycares that are being built (primerose etc).

Check great schools and school digger and the VA Scores.... and honestly drive around and talk to homehowners... if you are dead set on woodbridge... i would suggest lakeridge and or up 234 (more driving I know) near the Captain Nemo Swim school (colgan)

I did the commute from woodbridge to the Pentagon for 8 years... it was pretty awesome... but the hot lanes have considerably changed things. Now that they are going all the way up to DC... it will be intresting. If you aren't comfy taking buses / trains and doing ride shares... woodbridge isn't for you.

If schools are important.... woodbridge isn't for you... people often move there for new homes (its not that much cheaper now than other counties btw) and overlook the schools. And either turn a blind eye to the kids, get them in AP classes so they shipped around the county or get out and move to stafford or west (aldie/ashburn/centerville etc)

I would suggest looking for your budget in fairfax/burke and before Springfield. Don't sleep on stafford as well as the commute isn't much different and the schools are a bit better.

Source: Lived in woodbridge for 8.. moved to loudoun/ashburn... waiting on the metro to be built.

I have to plug Ashburn.... they are getting a metro ... it would be a long ride but if your deadset on not driving its an option.

Our focus in woodbridge as short commute and affordability.... until our kids were school aged. If this is a temporary stop for you rent in a location that hits all the marks (schools included). If its long term... research research research research.....
After several people mentioned woodbridge as a not so nice place in terms of schools we decided to look into Stafford. Thank you for the reply

Old 02-15-2019, 04:32 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,421,046 times
Stafford is a truly miserable commute if you’re going into pretty much any part of NoVa especially Arlington and DC but best of luck, thanks for coming back and updating us.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:43 AM

197 posts, read 168,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Stafford is a truly miserable commute if you’re going into pretty much any part of NoVa especially Arlington and DC but best of luck, thanks for coming back and updating us.
Its not to bad if you slug. Literally the same as woodbridge. EZ pass has helped the 95 corridor tremendously. And if you hate driving there is the VRE.... simliar to woodbridge.

Stafford has much better schools however.. and better planned communities. OP is right on the money with their choice. Hopefully they will check out embry mill

or leland station or courthouse manor...

Old 02-15-2019, 01:35 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,421,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallystoppedlurking View Post
Its not to bad if you slug. Literally the same as woodbridge. EZ pass has helped the 95 corridor tremendously. And if you hate driving there is the VRE.... simliar to woodbridge.

Stafford has much better schools however.. and better planned communities. OP is right on the money with their choice. Hopefully they will check out embry mill

or leland station or courthouse manor...
... except it’s an additional 20-30 miles from Woodbridge and we all know in this area the further you have to go the worst your commute will be. It’s also expensive if you’re not slugging.

Before I moved back to Arlington, I lived in Stafford and did the commute so I know first hand how awful it is. However, I do agree that they have better planned communities.

Right now Google Maps says to get from Woodbridge to Stafford it’s going to take 2 hr and 6 mins, obviously it’s a Friday so there’s that but if you’re someone that doesn’t mind the traffic and long commute more power to you.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:15 PM

Found a place in Stafford, my wife is now talking to the local school to get our kids enrolled. We'll be there Sunday. Thanks for all the replies, really appreciated.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:16 AM

197 posts, read 168,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdwg11 View Post
Found a place in Stafford, my wife is now talking to the local school to get our kids enrolled. We'll be there Sunday. Thanks for all the replies, really appreciated.
Good choice!!! Congrats!!

Old 04-23-2019, 11:03 PM

86 posts, read 72,993 times
I hope you are adjusting to Stafford. I'm glad to see that is where you decided to start out. We're in South Stafford and love it. It is a bit different from where you are if you are north (Garrisonville area) so you may find down the road you want to go a little farther out. Anyway, best wishes and welcome to the county!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia