Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 09:17 AM

19 posts, read 18,427 times

Advertisements

My wife just accepted a job in the DC area and we will be moving within the next 45 days, I was a Marine stationed at Bolling AFB about 12 years ago. I was single so I didn't care where I lived. Now married with two kids and two dogs we have to look for a place considering schools, safety, size, etc.

We're planning on renting first and hopefully within a year buy a house but where are some areas we could look into as far as renting a house or even an apartment, our budget would be about $2200 but we can go up to about $2800 if necessary. I think we would be willing to sacrifice commute if we can find something within that price range. I only remember Woodbridge, Fredericksburg, Alexandria, Fairfax, but not sure if those areas would be ok.

The job is at the Pentagon. In terms of houses, three bedroom, two bath preferably, single home, or town home. We also need a backyard for our dogs, we have two labs. I know I said apartments too but that would be very last resort. Size maybe 1500 square feet and up.

Thak you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 10:26 AM

857 posts, read 849,923 times
Look for rentals in Del Ray (just down the street from Braddock St. Metro; easy commute to the Pentagon but will be on the max side of your budget probably and yard space may be tough but a great area imo). I would especially look at militartbyowner types of sites; how we found our rental back in Alexandria. Been a couple years since we moved from the area but either way, areas south of DC would be more affordable at the cost of commuting times.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:02 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,709,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
Look for rentals in Del Ray (just down the street from Braddock St. Metro; easy commute to the Pentagon but will be on the max side of your budget probably and yard space may be tough but a great area imo). I would especially look at militartbyowner types of sites; how we found our rental back in Alexandria. Been a couple years since we moved from the area but either way, areas south of DC would be more affordable at the cost of commuting times.
South (Woodbridge area) is probably going to be in your price range. Commuting times will be manageable if you use public transportation. Very fast and efficient to the Pentagon in that regard. If you plan on driving yourself, it's not great at "normal" hours.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:22 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,435,213 times
You should be able to find a home in Springfield with no issues. Check out the 17 bus lines that run to the Pentagon and maybe you can find a place with a walkable bus stop. A lot of people drive to the edge of Braddock, park in the neighborhood, and walk to the bus stops too.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...789048330.html
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...790574560.html

Old 01-28-2019, 06:31 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,416,680 times
If you want something somewhat newer, you need to look in Woodbridge.

If you don’t mind something old, Springfield.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:12 PM

190 posts, read 685,234 times
Are both of you going to the Pentagon? Your relative distances to the jobs may be something to consider, to make sure one of you isn't stuck with a brutal commute, while the other is stone's throw away.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
Thanks we will look into it.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
South (Woodbridge area) is probably going to be in your price range. Commuting times will be manageable if you use public transportation. Very fast and efficient to the Pentagon in that regard. If you plan on driving yourself, it's not great at "normal" hours.
We just started looking into woodbridge and Springfield as well. Thank you

Old 01-29-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
You should be able to find a home in Springfield with no issues. Check out the 17 bus lines that run to the Pentagon and maybe you can find a place with a walkable bus stop. A lot of people drive to the edge of Braddock, park in the neighborhood, and walk to the bus stops too.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...789048330.html
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...790574560.html
Thanks for the links, we are now looking into Woodbridge and Springfield.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
If you want something somewhat newer, you need to look in Woodbridge.

If you don’t mind something old, Springfield.
Woodbridge is our major area to look at right now. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia