Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2019, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,547 times

Advertisements

Another one (DJ Khaled voice)

Hi guys! Trying to decide if I should live in Arlington or Alexandria. I've been in the area for a while now and know the hotspots for millennials in the DMV are DC, Arlington (orange line) and Silver Spring. However, I moved away for college so I don't have many friends in the area to hang out with. I recently moved back to start my career in communications and really would like to finally feel "a sense of belonging". What's important to me is living in a walkable area with things to do but also is having semi-affordable rent (I make close to $40k). I'm not 100 percent opposed to having a roommate but not sure if I want to deal with all that again.

So basically do I live in Arlington with a roommate paying what I would to have my own place all for the opportunity to meet people my age or live in Alexandria in a studio and attempt to get out as much as possible to meet people my age?

Three things to note: I'm a single AA female in my early 20s, I work in Old Town, and I've never "acted my age" so Clarendon gets a bit annoying for me but it may be the best bet.

Also, I'm planning to move in a year or so as I feel I don't fit DC's style, so feel free to recommend cities that are fun, diverse, relatively affordable and good for millennials and car drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 12:32 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,646,247 times
Hi,

Hmmm 40K a year will be hard to get you in any single bedroom apartments along those corridors. They can easily go for around $2500 for a 1 bedroom, and that's without utilities. Apartments/condos take advantage of the fact that they're located right next to a Metro station, so you'll probably be better off with a roommate.

Alexandria might be a bit better for you if you want to live alone, but it won't be near a Metro and probably won't be nearly as walkable. There are several complexes that have shuttle buses to the Metro, though, so you might want to check into that. Even so, you'll still be able to ride into DC with relative ease.

Once the spring rolls in, something like a kickball or social sports league will be a good way to meet people. They have many in Arlington, Alexandria, and in DC.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:51 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fit97lynn View Post

Hi guys! Trying to decide if I should live in Arlington or Alexandria. I've been in the area for a while now and know the hotspots for millennials in the DMV are DC, Arlington (orange line) and Silver Spring. However, I moved away for college so I don't have many friends in the area to hang out with. I recently moved back to start my career in communications and really would like to finally feel "a sense of belonging". What's important to me is living in a walkable area with things to do but also is having semi-affordable rent (I make close to $40k). I'm not 100 percent opposed to having a roommate but not sure if I want to deal with all that again.

So basically do I live in Arlington with a roommate paying what I would to have my own place all for the opportunity to meet people my age or live in Alexandria in a studio and attempt to get out as much as possible to meet people my age?

Three things to note: I'm a single AA female in my early 20s, I work in Old Town, and I've never "acted my age" so Clarendon gets a bit annoying for me but it may be the best bet.

Also, I'm planning to move in a year or so as I feel I don't fit DC's style, so feel free to recommend cities that are fun, diverse, relatively affordable and good for millennials and car drivers.
I think the best course of action is Arlington with having a few roommates. I’d recommend looking in Shirlington or someone off the beaten path closeish to the Orange Line (Virginia Square or somewhere off Rt. 29). My neighborhood is technically called Waycroft-Woodlawn but it is right next to Ballston so I have the best of both worlds. A decent walk to the metro and the action but far enough to avoid the sticker shock.

I did a studio in Arlington and it didn’t help matters meeting people. Roommates definitely open up social opportunities.

As far as cities for the future, definitely look at the Ohio big cities. I’m probably going to be back in Louisville by summer most likely and that I’d definitely recommend checking out.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:54 AM

230 posts, read 219,931 times
Quote:

Your post suggests that you will be relatively happier in Arlington as opposed to Alexandria. Based on your salary, roommates would be necessary in order to make ends meet. However, Arlington allows you to meet people your age with relative ease while providing walk-able neighborhoods with things to do, as well as relatively easy access to Old Town and D.C.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:51 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,424,853 times
Lots of homes in the Clarendon area that are full of 3-5 young people living together. With $40K you're going to need a roommate. Location isn't that important though it's not like all people under 30 in nova live along the orange line.

Second joining a sports league (in DC) of some kind for the spring/summer.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:19 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
I don't know why you'd be super eager to meet folks if you plan to leave the area again pretty quickly. Seems like an abundance of interpersonal relations would if anything complicate things i.e. make leaving harder. If I had no ambitions of staying past a year or even two years, I would also just get the cheapest option that's safe and an easy, short commute because the commute is easily the most annoying aspect of life in NoVa.

Based on the opening post, it seems like the whole point of this stay is to get a career going..so I would not worry too much about 'things to do' either. Just focus on work and the year will go by in the blink of an eye.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:53 PM

24 posts, read 64,370 times
Quote:
First, I think the "effective" distance between Arlington and Old Town is actually not that large, especially since traffic on Highway 1 is usually not bad, even during rush hour. Your choice is less weighty than someone who has to work in, say, Manassas or Ashburn, and is thinking about living in Arlington because of a better social life.

If your idea of going out means stay out late and/or drinking, it's considerably easier to live right next to party central (wherever you might find it. IMHO as of 2019, Clarendon has growing competition from Ballston in attracting single + 20-something, especially with the massive amount of new construction that's been going on in the last year or so. IMHO DC is still the undisputed King for the young crowd, although new areas have opened up there as well and the hottest party spots have shifted.)

Another big differentiator is weekend life. if your t-shirts all say, "working for the weekend", then being close to fun will make the biggest difference there, since you'll have a home base right next to your social experiences.

Things that make having a roommate easier:
1. Neither of you cook or use the kitchen for anything other than alcohol storage and microwaving TV dinners.
2. Neither of you eat "ethnically complex" or other stinky dishes.
3. Each of you have your own private bathroom.
4. You both sign a pact to never, ever, have a television in the shared living room. Each person has their own TV.
5. You have chosen your roommate and know exactly what you're getting (and are ok with it.)
6. You've gotten lucky and are roommates with the most accommodating, socially well-adjusted person in the world.
7. etc.

Also, there are seriously cheap 1 bedrooms in places like Lyon Park...most of these are built in the 1950's or 60's and don't have in-unit washers, dryers, or dishwashers, but the price may be right. The downside, of course, is that they're not right next to work or play. But that's close enough to walk to Ballston and you can get on 1 from 50.

I'm actually also not a big fan of living in Shirlington if you're looking to party. It does have a harris teeter and a little downtown area which is charming, but still the majority of the young blood isn't there. You still have to get on 395 to get to party central, and if you depend on public transportation for anything, it's out of the way of the major public lines. I apologize in advance to Shirlington residents.

I also second boyd's comment about living in homes with multiple roommates. It's common. Very common.

blah blah blah, just my opinion.

Last edited by sonoronos; 02-14-2019 at 02:20 PM..

Old 02-15-2019, 09:52 AM

197 posts, read 165,966 times
Clarendon and Ballston (im looking out the window @ a newly rebuilt ballston commons) for early 20 somethings... they just opened punch bowl social over here and its really nice.

alexandria is for more rental families IMO.

Arlington FTW....

Old 02-16-2019, 02:58 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
I don't really see the new Ballston mall, or Ballston Quarter as it is now called, succeeding. It doesn't have enough or interesting enough shopping to attract people looking for a mall trip over the alternative options. The shops are mostly too niche to just attract neighborhood foot traffic. It's not really inviting to hang out around either as it has a strange layout that features plenty of dark corners and alleys for less than desirable elements to loiter.

I go there for Chick-Fil-A and the movie theater, but I did that before the renovation too..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia