Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 04:18 PM

15,468 posts, read 25,915,429 times

Advertisements

I have done a commute like this for several weeks when we had no car. However, it was from a different area. The commute was broken into 4 parts. A bus from my old area in Maryland to the Shady Grove Metro. Then we took the Red Line to Gallery Place or Metro Center, I forgot which, but I think the latter. From there we took the Orange or Silver to Rosslyn to to a MetroBus to our destination near 7 Corners in Falls Church. It took 2 hours. It was awful, and definitely not worth it. I was so glad when we got a replacement car. I know it is different than your commute, but I hope it helps you figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 02:33 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,272,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriftinthebay View Post
2-3 days a week I need to get from Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania to Reston. The VRE up to Springfield is the best bet to avoid traffic but the connection from there to Reston is spotty. At least in Tysons there is the one bus that goes directly from Springfield VRE to Tysons (using the 495 HOV lanes, and it is quick!). The Wiehle-Reston metro stop would be a fine destination but I would hate having to take the VRE out of the way to Roslyn before circling back to Reston. I am looking for a bypass route (like the Tysons connector).
Thanks for the additional info. I honestly don’t think there is a bypass route available besides those mentioned. To summarize everything, below are what I believe to be the best options.

What I would do:
Slug Fredericksburg to Rosslyn, Metro Rosslyn to Reston
- It’s cheapest and requires minimal transfers. I would use the Pentagon as a back up if I worked late etc.
- Note: There is also a slugging app called Sameride that links carpoolers from F’burg to Tysons. Don’t know if people actually use it but they sure advertise a lot.

Really want to use VRE:
VRE to L’EnFant, metro to Reston
- The cost starts adding up. You are totally independent of the 95 though. Theoretically, you can catch some Z’s especially with an early commute. Should be a long commute though (90 min VRE+ 45 min metro).

Minimal Mileage:
VRE to Springfield, 494 Bus to Tysons, Metro Tysons to Reston
- Faster and better frequency than Omniride, I don’t know if the seats are as cushy though. There is no backtracking but with so many connections one late train can ruin your day.

Minimal Mileage Option 2:
VRE to Woodbridge, Omniride to Tysons, Metro Tysons to Reston
- Less time on VRE but there are literally only 4 buses in each direction typically timed around the VRE schedule and there are no very early buses. If you miss a bus on the return trip...Godspeed!

Driving or Driving partially:
It’s an option, but that’s not really what you started a thread for. 95 stinks! At least ride in the HOV lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia