Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 12:25 AM

22,452 posts, read 11,977,478 times

Advertisements

We live in Reston Town Center---and we just love the apartment building where we live! There is a good mix of people in RTC ---families, single people, retired people. If you rent in the newer buildings, they offer activities for their residents which is great for meeting other people. Most also have common areas that are conducive to socializing.

I recommend staying in Reston as you will have an easy commute. If you want to get into DC or Arlington, Metrorail will get you there. Right now, there is one Metro station but next year (hopefully) there will be two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 06:33 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
Sterling is a pretty decent commute to Reston...on the north side of rt 7....might be a bit less, and you might like it even more.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:54 AM

271 posts, read 446,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
A friend reverse commutes from Falls Church to Reston, and says it is real easy. Arlington is a stretch. The better apartments in Reston are expensive, boring, and loaded with transients. We actually had our first city-data attempted suicide from an expensive apartment near RTC. I recall he was about 25 at the time. The less expensive apartments are about as close as you could get to a project..loads of sec 8. Nothing out there compares to hipster city scenes, and I think that explains why Amazon didn't come. SFH are the way to go, but you might go days without seeing a slim single lady.
I'm in a similar situation as the OP, even though I own property here, and Hal Roach is spot on. Another area to look at - long term - is the Mosaic district near the Dunn Loring Metro. Unsure if its considered Fairfax/Vienna or Falls Church but there will be a commute to RTC. My opinion, Mosaic is similar to RTC but is a bit more centrally located. My g/f had a condo there while I was out in the suburbs of PWC and I enjoyed spending time out there.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:49 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
A friend reverse commutes from Falls Church to Reston, and says it is real easy. Arlington is a stretch. The better apartments in Reston are expensive, boring, and loaded with transients. We actually had our first city-data attempted suicide from an expensive apartment near RTC. I recall he was about 25 at the time. The less expensive apartments are about as close as you could get to a project..loads of sec 8. Nothing out there compares to hipster city scenes, and I think that explains why Amazon didn't come. SFH are the way to go, but you might go days without seeing a slim single lady.
Heh. You might be referencing me. I lived in Reston from 2009-2010. I was single, gay, and broke at the time struggling to afford a 1-BR apartment on my own. I was 22-23. I refused to have a roommate in what I deemed to be an overpriced and distant suburb. I found myself frequently heading into Arlington and The District to try to socialize and date/mate. This was pre-Silver Line, so it was awful.

A decade later? I’d presume Reston is a much more hip and happening place judging by how many on this sub-forum recommend it.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:38 PM

51 posts, read 55,235 times
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the comments/feedback!

I am very much leaning towards the option of renting in Reston for the first year. I will be in the area to look for (and sign a lease) in 3 weeks. I will check out few places that includes commute but as I read through your comments and think about it, - I think Reston is either a great area or good enough for me to live in for 1 year during which my commute will be zero. I doubt I will buy in Reston as DC or inner suburbs are still most appealing long term, but to rent for a year I think it fits the bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
We live in Reston Town Center---and we just love the apartment building where we live! There is a good mix of people in RTC ---families, single people, retired people. If you rent in the newer buildings, they offer activities for their residents which is great for meeting other people. Most also have common areas that are conducive to socializing.

I recommend staying in Reston as you will have an easy commute. If you want to get into DC or Arlington, Metrorail will get you there. Right now, there is one Metro station but next year (hopefully) there will be two.
I am looking at a building called Signature and another one called Exo. Both are new, and appear to be in line with your comments. Any others you would recommend that I check out?

Quote:
Can you please give me examples of the less expensive areas and apartments in Reston? Also, what about the townhouses. Are they bad? I dont intend on renting a townhouse but I am trying to get a feel of the types of communities around reston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Live - Work - Play
Reston’s Motto

I recommend renting in Reston for a year before making a decision. You may want to consider renting a townhouse or single family home in an area of Reston outside of town center to see if that is where you would like to buy a house. I have lived in the South Lakes area for more than 15 years. Please let me know if you have any Reston specific questions.

Here are a few rental options for you to consider.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3-48609#photo4
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M65130-72291

P.S. My go to casual restaurant is Cafesano in South Lakes Village Center.
I will definitely try Cafesano.

For my first year, I would not want to be renting a townhouse or a house. A 1 bedroom would do for my "transition period".

I am, however, interesting in knowing if there are bad areas I should avoid from someone who has been there as long as you have?

Old 03-29-2019, 08:11 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
https://affordablehousingonline.com/...irginia/Reston

Old 03-29-2019, 11:08 PM

22,452 posts, read 11,977,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAaamerica View Post

I am looking at a building called Signature and another one called Exo. Both are new, and appear to be in line with your comments. Any others you would recommend that I check out?

We recently got a chance to tour Exo---even though we don't have any intention of moving out of our building. However, when we got the opportunity to attend an event at Exo, we went as we were curious. Exo is really state-of-the-art given its newness. For example, the apartments don't have any shades or blinds in them. Instead, you control how much light enters your apartment via an app on your phone. There are 4 different levels from dark to very bright. The one bedroom apartment we saw was actually good-sized. The two bedroom was cramped. In the living-dining area, you could only fit in living room furniture. In all the apartments, the bedrooms are carpeted while the floors in the kitchen and living/dining area are engineered hardwood. The bathrooms have tile floors. Exo actually has less amenities than other buildings. The only pool is an outdoor salt water one. They do have a good-sized work out room. They, like other buildings, do offer lots of events for their residents. What I learned about the parking situation is that (BTW, all buildings in RTC do charge a monthly fee for parking) is that you can pay $75/month for an unreserved spot in the garage. That means you have to drive around to find an unreserved spot which, I imagine, can be a pain. For $100/month, you get a reserved spot.

I haven't toured Signature. That said, I've talked to people in my building who have. Some thought the common areas seemed, to them, to feel sterile. If having a balcony is important to you --- only one of the Signature buildings has them and they are only on every other floor. Right now, if one has a balcony, they will be treated to a view of the new Leidos headquarters being built---but that's a short-term problem. Signature has a Balducci's right downstairs. That can be a great advantage if you needed to get something quick (but expensive!) to eat.

I have toured the Avant which now is about 5 years old. It's right smack dab in RTC with 2 restaurants and a CVS downstairs. The floors in each apartment are engineered hardwood except for the bathrooms. The windows have good soundproofing but from what I've heard from people who lived there, the walls are paper thin. They have common areas plus events and an excercise room. If you visit their website, there is more details on the amenities.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:24 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,612,564 times
There was never anything wrong with Reston of the past nor is there now- it's always been a great community and you will have no problem living there. Some of us had recommended Arlington or DC based on your initial post but you will be fine either way. Live in Reston close to work, scope the entire area out and then make a decision. Reston has changed a lot over the last 10 years with a ton of transit oriented development around the currently open and future Metro stations. You will have plenty of options to keep yourself occupied.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:52 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,245,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAaamerica View Post
I am, however, interesting in knowing if there are bad areas I should avoid from someone who has been there as long as you have?
Bad is a relative term. The less desirable parts of Reston are south of the Toll Road and west of Reston Parkway.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:59 PM

51 posts, read 55,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Bad is a relative term. The less desirable parts of Reston are south of the Toll Road and west of Reston Parkway.
The "and" in your sentence could be interpreted to be almost all of Reston!

By "west of Reston Parkway" do you include what is north of the Toll road (i.e. everything that is south of the Toll Road and everything that is west of the Reston Parkway)? or do you simply mean the area that falls south of the Toll Road and west of the Reston Parkway?

Also, I totally understand that "bad" is a relative statement, - and also that many "bad" areas have great enclaves. This is all a generalization for my primitive education which I will work on to deepen once I spend some time there.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia