Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,693 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My company is relocating me to Reston, VA from Miami, FL in the summer. Aside from the interviews, i have never been to VA but we are going! I am divorced and relocating with my first grade son. Can you help guide me where to live where there are good schools and quite neighborhoods? I will be earning approximately $140K my first year so i do not plan to buy a home until i know we are staying (at least a year). the company will pay my first 3 months of rent but i want to be somewhere i know has good schools and is family friendly. I have no idea how expensive things are or what will after school care or summer camp cost, so i'd love to hear from you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 01:12 PM

9,884 posts, read 14,150,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellOnHeelz View Post
Hi everyone. My company is relocating me to Reston, VA from Miami, FL in the summer. Aside from the interviews, i have never been to VA but we are going! I am divorced and relocating with my first grade son. Can you help guide me where to live where there are good schools and quite neighborhoods? I will be earning approximately $140K my first year so i do not plan to buy a home until i know we are staying (at least a year). the company will pay my first 3 months of rent but i want to be somewhere i know has good schools and is family friendly. I have no idea how expensive things are or what will after school care or summer camp cost, so i'd love to hear from you!!
You should re-post in the Northern Virginia sub-forum. Reston is right outside of DC.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:26 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,251,026 times
Welcome to Reston!

I would recommend any of the elementary schools in Reston, with the exception of Dogwood. You should be able to find a condo or townhouse in the South Lakes area of Reston in an appropriate price range for your income level.

This is my favorite of what is currently available.

https://www.brightmlshomes.com/renta...0191-270324750

Last edited by JfromReston; 04-17-2019 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: Fixed Link

Old 04-17-2019, 04:53 PM

51 posts, read 55,429 times
I am in the same boat. Relocating late spring or early summer for work in Reston (and recently divorced but I dont have kids). I have been researching the heck out of my options, including Reston, Tysons, Arlington, Mclean and DC - likely to the annoyance of a few on this forum. I have been to that part of NoVa a bunch of times for work (during my past life/work)... so while I cant give you what the locals can provide, here are some food for thought...

I think the warning that folks give as to traffic shouldn't be ignored. I live in 6M+ metro right now where traffic is horrible, so I would have normally thought nothing of the warnings from posters on here or others I spoke to, but given that a ton of people appear to have it as their first warning sign I think its actually not a normal traffic issue you see elsewhere. It appears that the part of NOVA between Dulles and DC has more traffic issues than your normal Metro... which led me to decide to be as close to work as possible (at least for your first year).

I tried analyzing pros and cons of Reston v. other areas/towns where I could live and realized 1) its a very subjective decision that I can only make after having spent quality time in the area, and 2) regardless of whether Reston will ultimately be the ideal place for me to live in for the long term or not, it definitely great area objectively speaking to spend my first year (safe, close to work, very strong/large middle class community, some entertainment etc.). A poster on here did say that some parts of Reston are bad, with a lot of Section 8 housing, so you may want to look into it (but I think that may have been relative). I really took that comment with a grain of salt because objectively speaking Reston is a booming middle class town/suburb with a bright future (committed employment growth by major companies, and you keep seeing new ones come in).

I will be working in the Reston Town Center, - and so I will likely grab anything either in that community or very close to it. There is a ton of options. The luxury apartments are expensive but not outrageous (there is only a handful that I am referring to, - being the new "luxury" apartments).

I have been told that north of the toll road is better than south of the toll road, - but I assume that may have been also relative.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:19 PM

9,884 posts, read 14,150,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAaamerica View Post
I am in the same boat. Relocating late spring or early summer for work in Reston (and recently divorced but I dont have kids). I have been researching the heck out of my options, including Reston, Tysons, Arlington, Mclean and DC - likely to the annoyance of a few on this forum. I have been to that part of NoVa a bunch of times for work (during my past life/work)... so while I cant give you what the locals can provide, here are some food for thought...

I think the warning that folks give as to traffic shouldn't be ignored. I live in 6M+ metro right now where traffic is horrible, so I would have normally thought nothing of the warnings from posters on here or others I spoke to, but given that a ton of people appear to have it as their first warning sign I think its actually not a normal traffic issue you see elsewhere. It appears that the part of NOVA between Dulles and DC has more traffic issues than your normal Metro... which led me to decide to be as close to work as possible (at least for your first year).

I tried analyzing pros and cons of Reston v. other areas/towns where I could live and realized 1) its a very subjective decision that I can only make after having spent quality time in the area, and 2) regardless of whether Reston will ultimately be the ideal place for me to live in for the long term or not, it definitely great area objectively speaking to spend my first year (safe, close to work, very strong/large middle class community, some entertainment etc.). A poster on here did say that some parts of Reston are bad, with a lot of Section 8 housing, so you may want to look into it (but I think that may have been relative). I really took that comment with a grain of salt because objectively speaking Reston is a booming middle class town/suburb with a bright future (committed employment growth by major companies, and you keep seeing new ones come in).

I will be working in the Reston Town Center, - and so I will likely grab anything either in that community or very close to it. There is a ton of options. The luxury apartments are expensive but not outrageous (there is only a handful that I am referring to, - being the new "luxury" apartments).

I have been told that north of the toll road is better than south of the toll road, - but I assume that may have been also relative.

An amazing post from someone who hasn't moved here yet. YES! You have understood everything correctly, especially realizing that most of the advice is relative.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:20 AM

37 posts, read 31,378 times
Anywhere in Reston will have decent schools except the South Lakes area. South Lakes is the "worst" area of Reston. You will not be able to afford to buy anything in Reston or Herndon on $140k salary. Most newer townhomes are starting at $500,000+ in both that area of Fairfax and even 30 mins away in Loudoun county. Wife and I make $180k+ combined and we had to move to West Virginia to afford a SFH in a decent school district.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:49 AM

512 posts, read 443,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVJeep556 View Post
Anywhere in Reston will have decent schools except the South Lakes area. South Lakes is the "worst" area of Reston. You will not be able to afford to buy anything in Reston or Herndon on $140k salary. Most newer townhomes are starting at $500,000+ in both that area of Fairfax and even 30 mins away in Loudoun county. Wife and I make $180k+ combined and we had to move to West Virginia to afford a SFH in a decent school district.

Who says Reston Southlakes area is the worst? -You?!

U.S. News Best High Schools 2019: Reston School Makes List

South Lakes High was ranked the 39th best high school in Virginia (out of hundreds of schools) and No. 1,340 nationwide with an overall score of 92.23 out of 100.

https://patch.com/virginia/reston/u-...ool-makes-list

Here are some listing of lake front properties and a property on a golf course. If you can't afford to live here that's one thing, but don't spread your ignorance about the area, which you seem to know very little about! Yes, there are some bad areas in south Reston. But part of Reston's Master plan was to make Reston affordable to individuals at every price point.

https://www.redfin.com/VA/Reston/207...1/home/9354765

https://www.redfin.com/VA/Reston/111...9/home/9356178

https://www.redfin.com/VA/Reston/212...1/home/9332396

Old 05-01-2019, 09:59 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,622,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVJeep556 View Post
I am not sure it is accurate to say that you have to make in excess of $180k in this area to afford a SFH in a nice decent school district. There are homes in the $600k range in Burke/ W. Springfield/ Annandale/ south Reston, etc that are in perfectly fine school districts -provided you have a decent amount for a down payment. They might not be brand new or have the square footage/ acreage as some of the places out in West Virginia but that is a different story. The commute times are horrible from West Virginia as well if you work past Leesburg (unless you leave long before sunrise).

Old 05-09-2019, 08:32 AM

8 posts, read 15,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I am not sure it is accurate to say that you have to make in excess of $180k in this area to afford a SFH in a nice decent school district. There are homes in the $600k range in Burke/ W. Springfield/ Annandale/ south Reston, etc that are in perfectly fine school districts -provided you have a decent amount for a down payment. They might not be brand new or have the square footage/ acreage as some of the places out in West Virginia but that is a different story. The commute times are horrible from West Virginia as well if you work past Leesburg (unless you leave long before sunrise).
It will also depend on your tolerance for a commute, but also the Chantilly and Centreville HS pyramids are both very good and have plenty of SF homes in their areas anywhere from $450-500+ (Greenbriar etc.) to the $600-700s+ (Poplar Tree Estates, Little Rocky Run), and that can be done on $150k+ but, as you say, you'll need a decent downpayment for the latter price tags.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:02 AM

51 posts, read 55,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
Who says Reston Southlakes area is the worst? -You?!

U.S. News Best High Schools 2019: Reston School Makes List

South Lakes High was ranked the 39th best high school in Virginia (out of hundreds of schools) and No. 1,340 nationwide with an overall score of 92.23 out of 100.

https://patch.com/virginia/reston/u-...ool-makes-list

Here are some listing of lake front properties and a property on a golf course. If you can't afford to live here that's one thing, but don't spread your ignorance about the area, which you seem to know very little about! Yes, there are some bad areas in south Reston. But part of Reston's Master plan was to make Reston affordable to individuals at every price point.

https://www.redfin.com/VA/Reston/207...1/home/9354765

https://www.redfin.com/VA/Reston/111...9/home/9356178

https://www.redfin.com/VA/Reston/212...1/home/9332396
Sites like Redfin use GreatSchools to show the rating of a school. South Lakes High is somehow rated 4 out of 10 (very low). Its clearly a mistake based on the more objective links that you provided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia