Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 12:19 PM

6,791 posts, read 4,233,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproman23 View Post
Hi, I've been looking in North Arlington but can't find anything that's 3 bedrooms and has at least a small yard for our dog. The yard doesn't have to be huge just enough so he can do his business.
Are you looking at SFH rentals? When I say North Arlington I really mean anything north of 50 (Arlington Blvd). 4k wont get you anything special here, but a cursory glance did show a number of hits in your price range. Didnt look too closely so cant say anything about potential dealbreakers obviously.

In terms of overall flair this area is a bit chaotic as there are numerous islands of dense development that may have a quiet suburban neighborhood just a block away. There are streets with a very genteel, leafy suburban flair even in central Arlington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 12:36 PM

19 posts, read 17,661 times
So, Yes been looking at SFH as well but honestly I'd like a break from yard work and such especially the first year. May be there's rentals out there that don't require the tenant to do that on their own. We can honestly afford more than 4k but honestly given that it'll be a rental and we plan only doing it for a year we'd like to keep the cost down a bit.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:40 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
So, Yes been looking at SFH as well but honestly I'd like a break from yard work and such especially the first year. May be there's rentals out there that don't require the tenant to do that on their own. We can honestly afford more than 4k but honestly given that it'll be a rental and we plan only doing it for a year we'd like to keep the cost down a bit.
See if you can find a rental that's in a townhouse condo community. In those communities, the maintenance fees that the owners pay include maintaining the yards.

Perhaps, to make your search easier, you could consider using a realtor. Let him/her find places that fit your criteria. Having once been landlords ourselves, we know that in VA the landlord pays the realtor's fees.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:47 PM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

Perhaps, to make your search easier, you could consider using a realtor. Let him/her find places that fit your criteria. Having once been landlords ourselves, we know that in VA the landlord pays the realtor's fees.
I am a LL here in Virginia, and I have never paid for a realtor engaged by the tenant.

Old 05-30-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I am a LL here in Virginia, and I have never paid for a realtor engaged by the tenant.
If the landlord uses a management company, then the landlord pays any realtor fees. We used a management company that advertised the rental.

So... neither of us is wrong. It depends on the individual experience.

Either way, the OP should considering using a realtor to help him find a place.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:13 PM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
If the landlord uses a management company, then the landlord pays any realtor fees. We used a management company that advertised the rental.

So... neither of us is wrong. It depends on the individual experience.

Either way, the OP should considering using a realtor to help him find a place.
Agree that there are different arrangements. But I didn't want the OP to think their realtor cost is definitely covered by the LL.

And, we do use a management company, and I have certainly paid for them to market the place with a rental. But I have not paid for a tenant engaged realtor, and have been asked to do so. I declined.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:22 PM

19 posts, read 17,661 times
Hmm I am getting a relocation package and there's a provision to help find a place to buy within a year but don't think they'll cover the realtor fee. Having said that I think the fee might be worth it given that we're getting anxious about picking the right area for us.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Hmm I am getting a relocation package and there's a provision to help find a place to buy within a year but don't think they'll cover the realtor fee. Having said that I think the fee might be worth it given that we're getting anxious about picking the right area for us.
Sounds like the best plan for you

Old 05-31-2019, 06:53 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,054 times
Quote:
Thank you for these! However don't think Washington DC will be practical for us and we're looking for a 3 bedroom place. I appreciate your help though.
10-4..i should have stated that I looked in Lyon Park, Arlington, and it has really gone up. My cousin's 1925 house is 2600 sf, on a 10,000 sf lot, sold for a million and the new owner had it rented out at 3800..but it has been 6 years and that would be somewhat below market for that neighborhood, now, and that type of house is disappearing, because the lot is worth more without the house. Agreed with the recs on West Springfield.. Lots of Capitol Hill commuters and people slugging... Burke starts to stretch the commute. If you like more urban, look around Lake Barcroft...a dream commute compared to many.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:11 PM

14 posts, read 6,646 times
Ballston, Arlington is a wonderful option! Great schools, albeit the high school seems to be loosing its good rating some. I know many good families who stay in apartments/condos and townhomes here in this area simply because it is safe, the schools are good, groceries, the bank, library, parks, all your errands are walking distance and lots to do! It is a competition for extracurricular activities so sign the kids up early. Ballston also has a wonderful dog park that is always crowded, and my neighbors are amazing. Very nice place for families and professionals right here in Ballston, Arlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia