Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 08:08 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,578,977 times

Advertisements

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.805082acea4f

After some concern, when they said their discussions relative to Oakville Triangle had fallen through, it now appears the VTech grad campus WILL still be in northeast City of Alexandria - but will be located in Potomac Yard, closer to the new metro station.

I assume the plans for Oakville will go back to mostly residential mixed use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 10:00 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,408,088 times
In some aspects this is a bigger deal than Amazon. This is going to be good for NoVa.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:13 AM

230 posts, read 221,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
In some aspects this is a bigger deal than Amazon. This is going to be good for NoVa.
I think you're right. It may lack the hype of Amazon, but it's a big deal for the region and growing a more diversified economy/workforce.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:45 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,462,613 times
Oh no! They’ll have to pry my PetSmart and Target from my cold, dead hands.

Seriously, this is a very good change.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:28 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,647,163 times
Im not a fan. I like the suburban family friendly feel of the area and now it's becoming an urban field of high rise apartments, lack of parking, hipster coffee parks and nowhere really for shopping for a household. There's no other mall with free parking n the area except for Potomac Yard and people will be discouraged from shopping here, if there will remain anywhere to shop at all.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:23 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,408,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Im not a fan. I like the suburban family friendly feel of the area and now it's becoming an urban field of high rise apartments, lack of parking, hipster coffee parks and nowhere really for shopping for a household. There's no other mall with free parking n the area except for Potomac Yard and people will be discouraged from shopping here, if there will remain anywhere to shop at all.
Alexandria is not the place one should look for suburban living. There is Ashburn for that. Cities are meant to encourage density, etc.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:33 AM

230 posts, read 221,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Alexandria is not the place one should look for suburban living. There is Ashburn for that. Cities are meant to encourage density, etc.
To be fair, though, large parts of Alexandria have been considered suburban until only very recently when growth exploded along the Jeff Dav...err...Richmond Highway, as well as along Eisenhower Avenue. Parts of the city still retain a suburban feel, and probably will into the foreseeable future.

I don't share Yiuppy's views about the new campus, but (as a former resident of Alexandria), I can see where he/she is coming from.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:45 AM

658 posts, read 725,799 times
this is excellent for children in the future. Great university option.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:49 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,578,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post

Actually most of the actual high rises have been around for decades. The newer apt buildings are mostly midrises and are much more attractive.

What kind of household shopping do you need to do? Even in Old Town there are super markets with free parking and there is all kinds of shopping all over the City.

There are shopping centers with free parking in the West End - Potomac Yard is not a mall. But yes, if you need a mall with free parking, I guess you need to go further out than Alexandria or Arlington. I think a place can be family friendly without that though.

I definitely see families with kids in coffee shops. Especially in Del Ray.

There will certainly be retail space available in the new PY development. At this point the problem is more retail competing with on line shopping, not lack of available retail space.

I think there is a good change PY will end up with an "urban form Target" (like the one in Mosaic) or similar. If you need a Target there is also one just outside the City lines in Baileys.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:29 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,647,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Actually most of the actual high rises have been around for decades. The newer apt buildings are mostly midrises and are much more attractive.

What kind of household shopping do you need to do? Even in Old Town there are super markets with free parking and there is all kinds of shopping all over the City.

There are shopping centers with free parking in the West End - Potomac Yard is not a mall. But yes, if you need a mall with free parking, I guess you need to go further out than Alexandria or Arlington. I think a place can be family friendly without that though.

I definitely see families with kids in coffee shops. Especially in Del Ray.

There will certainly be retail space available in the new PY development. At this point the problem is more retail competing with on line shopping, not lack of available retail space.

I think there is a good change PY will end up with an "urban form Target" (like the one in Mosaic) or similar. If you need a Target there is also one just outside the City lines in Baileys.
I moved to this area for the proximity to grocery stores and shopping, availability of entertainment options and to be in a neighborhoods of families, where there's space to be outside and feel safe and without too much traffic. When I moved here it did have a suburban feel. I live in Del Ray down the street from potomac yard so this will drastically change my neighborhood and likely many others. It's a totally opposite experience of being able to drive to Shoppers, Target or Giant in a few minutes, instead of driving to...where did you say? Bailey's Crossroad miles away and through traffic? We already have Old Town if we seek a place with density and s downtownish feel with a bunch of expensive shops.

Potomac Yard is the most convenient shopping center in east Alexandria. It serves thousands of residents here and many consumers from DC also make their way here and contribute to the local economy with their dollars. All of that is being lost for a university campus a limited number of people will be able to attend. Oakville was the better location for us, but taking Potomac Yard is the better decision for the campus because they couldn't also raze down the surrounding homes and parks that people and their families enjoy. For me the quality of living will change for the worse because I prefer places meant for families and families cannot afford luxury everything and difficult access to shopping centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia