Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 08:42 PM

20,241 posts, read 9,165,390 times

Advertisements

Guess which homes will be shown by realtors last?

those with cheap commissions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 10:10 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,435,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Don't think anyone has suggested paying the buyer's agent less than the standard 2.5-3% so

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Are you going to need a Realtor to be at the property representing your interests or are you going to give everyone, anyone, including tradesmen the access code to your home? Your better agents make themselves available to the appraiser, I know some that insist on meeting the appraiser, eyeball to eyeball. Redfin will be giving out combo codes for the appraiser to help themselves.
So you've never used a rebate realtor then? My "budget" buyer's agent charged me 1% and was actually present for the appraisal, inspection, and closing (all the same person not like Redfin). The seller's agent was also 1% and he was the only realtor for the transaction too although I don't know what company he was with (may have been a personal friend discount).

Nice gesture, but I don't think the realtor being at the appraisal is super important...most homes are going to appraise for what they "need to" for the sale to close regardless of the realtor being there to point out the new countertop or whatever.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:24 PM

654 posts, read 427,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post

those with cheap commissions.
Good thing not many people rely on their realtors to find them a home, they just use the internet and ask the realtor to show up to let them in the house. Of course the realtor will probably be talking down the house if the commission is cheap. Admittedly I love my realtor, keeps his mouth shut, gives me all combo codes and his sentrilock card so he doesn't have to do anything at all (Driving to the listing is the most work they really do anyways). The struggles of changing a few things on a contract and sending it through docusign, hard stuff.

the future,

https://www.fastcompany.com/90346576...ent-no-problem

Redfin direct is coming to VA this year, hopefully it does well, the realtor cartel is finally starting to see some real competition.

Those destructive appraisers and home inspectors though, you may need to spend the extra $20k to have your realtor watch them take measurements and pics of your house.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:09 PM

8,678 posts, read 22,988,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Don't think anyone has suggested paying the buyer's agent less than the standard 2.5-3% so

So you've never used a rebate realtor then? My "budget" buyer's agent charged me 1% and was actually present for the appraisal, inspection, and closing (all the same person not like Redfin). The seller's agent was also 1% and he was the only realtor for the transaction too although I don't know what company he was with (may have been a personal friend discount).

Nice gesture, but I don't think the realtor being at the appraisal is super important...most homes are going to appraise for what they "need to" for the sale to close regardless of the realtor being there to point out the new countertop or whatever.
I am not going to divert this thread with all that can go wrong by no one being present for various imspections, but with closing 15 - 20+ loans a month, consistently, all with appraisals, I could fill quite a few pages. But, I liken that to toasting newlyweds by telling them there's a 50% chance they will be in divorce court.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:40 AM

197 posts, read 168,204 times
my realtor (www.glasshousere dot com)gave us a rebate on the purchase and sale of the home.... he is staying ahead of the incoming redfin lobotomy. Full commision for 1.5%. Turned out to be some pretty coin. He's a young hustler and his team was pretty good as well... the days of the old commission are gone. Realtors have to be agile and up on the times now. High tech lock boxes.. high teck locks... etc make remote showings a ton easier. And he still was put to work lol. Ran interference with our builder for some concessions and was a good buffer on the home sale when the buyer missed contigency deadlines...

Really only need someone there for open houses... and security and marketing. The 3d cams and filters these days are off the chain

Old 06-24-2019, 11:14 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallystoppedlurking View Post
my realtor (www.glasshousere dot com)gave us a rebate on the purchase and sale of the home.... he is staying ahead of the incoming redfin lobotomy. Full commision for 1.5%. Turned out to be some pretty coin. He's a young hustler and his team was pretty good as well... the days of the old commission are gone. Realtors have to be agile and up on the times now. High tech lock boxes.. high teck locks... etc make remote showings a ton easier. And he still was put to work lol. Ran interference with our builder for some concessions and was a good buffer on the home sale when the buyer missed contigency deadlines...

Really only need someone there for open houses... and security and marketing. The 3d cams and filters these days are off the chain
So on the listing side, he/she charged you 1.5% of the sale price? If that's right then they split that down the middle with the buyer's agent? I ask because I haven't heard of anything less than 2.5% (rarely 2.0%) being offered to the buyer's agent.

And mind if I ask what % rebate you received on the buying side?

Old 06-24-2019, 11:31 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,904,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
So on the listing side, he/she charged you 1.5% of the sale price? If that's right then they split that down the middle with the buyer's agent? I ask because I haven't heard of anything less than 2.5% (rarely 2.0%) being offered to the buyer's agent.

looks like they offer 2.5% to the selling agent (based off a couple active listings they have), so roughly 4% to list

Old 06-24-2019, 12:36 PM

795 posts, read 1,015,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelofdarkside View Post
I have a house to sell in Northern VA in a highly desirable gated community. In today's market, what is a fair realtor's fee in terms of percentage?
Thanks
Highly desirable. Why not FSBO. That's what we did 4 years ago. It was easy. If I can do it, anyone can.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:42 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,904,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
Highly desirable. Why not FSBO. That's what we did 4 years ago. It was easy. If I can do it, anyone can.
they're out of state so I assume they'd be worried about handling it themselves

Old 06-24-2019, 02:40 PM

197 posts, read 168,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post

I do mind because he gives a range on his website. So I’ll go w 1-1.5% Lol... he’s updated his numbers online to,match the market. So it must be hot.. I’ll say in the way back machine which is public info you will see what we were offered which was way higher than his current offer. https://web.archive.org/web/20171105...sshousere.com/

Timing is everything

Market must me getting close to cut throat status when commission goes up. Realtors have to be enjoying this market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: