Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 06:46 AM

58 posts, read 85,820 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am considering a new job in Springfield and the job location will move to Ashburn in the next 2-3 years.

We are currently in Greenbelt, MD with 2 kids (both under 4 now) and NoVA is our desired location with far better school options. I will be the one commuting to work 3-4 days a week, so which centrally located cities would be a good fit?

I do plan to change jobs after 4-5 years, so I don't have to be tied to Ashburn. However, we want our kids to grow up in the same school district from K - 12 where possible.

Our criteria is:
- ~450k budget
- Good school district (Safety, education rankings etc)
- > 1980s or newer Townhouses (hoping for a low-maintenance home (small yard, newer appliances and minor maintenance)
- We are good with a smaller home as long as it has open layout and functional space
- Close to multiple job locations (<~20 miles to federal agencies)
- Close to affordable & clean grocery stores like Trader Joes, Wegmans etc (~10 mile range)

All feedback appreciated and if there are other things to consider regarding VA, please let me know. I have not looked for a house in a while, so have to re-learn the steps and search criteria.

Thanks.

Last edited by NoVaFirstTimer; 06-12-2019 at 06:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 08:26 AM

230 posts, read 220,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaFirstTimer View Post
Hello all,

I am considering a new job in Springfield and the job location will move to Ashburn in the next 2-3 years.

We are currently in Greenbelt, MD with 2 kids (both under 4 now) and NoVA is our desired location with far better school options. I will be the one commuting to work 3-4 days a week, so which centrally located cities would be a good fit?

I do plan to change jobs after 4-5 years, so I don't have to be tied to Ashburn. However, we want our kids to grow up in the same school district from K - 12 where possible.

Our criteria is:
- ~450k budget
- Good school district (Safety, education rankings etc)
- > 1980s or newer Townhouses (hoping for a low-maintenance home (small yard, newer appliances and minor maintenance)
- We are good with a smaller home as long as it has open layout and functional space
- Close to multiple job locations (<~20 miles to federal agencies)
- Close to affordable & clean grocery stores like Trader Joes, Wegmans etc (~10 mile range)

All feedback appreciated and if there are other things to consider regarding VA, please let me know. I have not looked for a house in a while, so have to re-learn the steps and search criteria.

Thanks.
Given all of your criteria (both short-term and long-term), I think you should look closely at West Springfield (22152) and Burke (22015).

Old 06-12-2019, 09:37 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,653,017 times
Why not look in Ashburn? Right now, all of your criteria fits that. You can find a nice sized 2500 or so sq ft townhouse in Ashburn with that budget built in 2000 or newer and the schools there are actually rated pretty highly.

If your job is moving there soon anyway, makes sense to stay in one place than to move back and forth. I think the commute from Ashburn to Springfield isn't too bad via FairFax County Parkway. (I only knew one person who did it and she never really had terrible traffic since it's a reverse commute).

Old 06-12-2019, 12:38 PM

15,150 posts, read 27,826,289 times
I ALWAYS think people should rent before committing to a home so they get to know areas!

Old 06-12-2019, 02:41 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,429,211 times
If you know you are going to Ashburn in 2-3 years I would look there and just deal with the commute to Springfield.

You get so much more for your money in Ashburn (and Brambleton/South Riding) it isn't even comparable if you don't need the proximity to DC. Like $450K you are looking at potentially new construction (or less than ten years old) vs. Springfield 70-90s THs.

Nothing wrong with Springfield and most of the old places have been updated anyway, but if you don't have to pay the beltway housing premium it makes no sense to do so.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:40 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,267,686 times
Aren't a lot more federal agencies located in the Route 28 corridor than Springfield? If you think you'll work in DC, I would say Springfield for a shorter metro commute but closer to Ashburn for future possible job opportunities.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:25 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

We are not sure if Ashburn is for us since it is so close to Dulles. My wife does not want to be near the jet noise and such. In addition, I have to fight the DC traffic to get to Springfield from Ashburn.

And as I mentioned, I will move to another federal job in 4-5 years so I am not particularly tied to Ashburn. Burke seems like a good choice, except I am not sure if there will be heavy traffic to both Springfield and Ashburn? Just from looking at maps, Falls Church and Fairfax station areas seem to be a good fit with easier access to DC via metro. Except for the prices.

Any towns in between Springfield and Ashburn that I should take a look at and would fit our criteria?

Old 06-16-2019, 12:03 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,653,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaFirstTimer View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

We are not sure if Ashburn is for us since it is so close to Dulles. My wife does not want to be near the jet noise and such. In addition, I have to fight the DC traffic to get to Springfield from Ashburn.

And as I mentioned, I will move to another federal job in 4-5 years so I am not particularly tied to Ashburn. Burke seems like a good choice, except I am not sure if there will be heavy traffic to both Springfield and Ashburn? Just from looking at maps, Falls Church and Fairfax station areas seem to be a good fit with easier access to DC via metro. Except for the prices.

Any towns in between Springfield and Ashburn that I should take a look at and would fit our criteria?
The jet noise isn't much of an issue in Ashburn. Also, going south to Springfield avoids DC traffic.

The only other area that fits your needs is maybe Burke or Chantilly. The issue is Burke has your price range, but houses from the 1960s, while a place like Chantilly or Clifton is probably out of your budget.

Good luck!!

Old 06-17-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
The jet noise isn't much of an issue in Ashburn. Also, going south to Springfield avoids DC traffic.

The only other area that fits your needs is maybe Burke or Chantilly. The issue is Burke has your price range, but houses from the 1960s, while a place like Chantilly or Clifton is probably out of your budget.

Good luck!!
If we pick Burke or other nearby areas, what would the traffic be like to Ashburn? Is it a reverse commute? Google Maps says it is a 45 mins (~25 mile commute) - is that typical? I expect to telework at least 2 days/week.

Burke seems to check most of our boxes and has ~1980s townhomes in our price range that will hopefully be low-maintenance. The VRE station nearby is also a huge plus for DC commute if job changes. We drove through Burke over the weekend and liked it even if it is a a bit suburb-y.

Anything I should be aware of regarding Burke like floodplains near the Burke lake and so forth?

Most likely we will have to rent first in order to sell our home in MD and buy without a contingency in the VA hot market.

Thanks!

Old 06-17-2019, 11:55 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,267,686 times
No, it's not a reverse commute.I think your best day will be 45 minutes. Throw in rain, accidents, etc and think you are looking at 1 hour at a minimum. Route 28 is very heavily traveled going north in the am and south in the pm. FCP in the am heading north and south in the pm is bumper to bumper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia