Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2019, 03:05 PM

17 posts, read 35,712 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My spouse and I currently reside near Kingstowne in a townhome rental. We like the area for its ease of access to highways, diversity, safety, and quick access to amenities. We are beginning to think about where we will purchase a home and while we like this area for those reasons, we would ultimately feel like it's not where we would settle due to the housing stock being largely townhomes, the houses being very close together, and the school system only being average from what we've heard.

We are in our in our early to mid-thirties, will have one child in the next year, and are both high-income earners. Things we value are:

-within 30 minutes of work. Husband works in Woodbridge and I am flexible though currently working close to home
-nice looking neighborhoods with consistency in housing stock (not a shack next to a mega-mansion, next to a rambler)
-diversity (racial, financial, religious, career, etc....of note we're black, nonreligious, physicians with very modest roots)
-good public school pyramids
-a down to earth feel (even though we are high income, we are very laid back. We don't try to keep up with the Joneses at all and probably wouldn't be a good fit in such neighborhoods)
-mature trees
-space between homes
-access to highways to get to DC within 30-40 minutes.
-quick access to a variety of restaurants, shopping (grocery, big box stores, etc), and recreation for the future kids

While we aren't looking to buy now, we want to start visiting a few neighborhoods so that we have a grasp on what areas we'd like to focus on when it comes purchasing time.

So budget aside, any neighborhoods or cities that you all feel would be a good fit for us to explore further?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 03:11 PM

230 posts, read 221,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftrdro View Post
Hello!

My spouse and I currently reside near Kingstowne in a townhome rental. We like the area for its ease of access to highways, diversity, safety, and quick access to amenities. We are beginning to think about where we will purchase a home and while we like this area for those reasons, we would ultimately feel like it's not where we would settle due to the housing stock being largely townhomes, the houses being very close together, and the school system only being average from what we've heard.

We are in our in our early to mid-thirties, will have one child in the next year, and are both high-income earners. Things we value are:

-within 30 minutes of work. Husband works in Woodbridge and I am flexible though currently working close to home
-nice looking neighborhoods with consistency in housing stock (not a shack next to a mega-mansion, next to a rambler)
-diversity (racial, financial, religious, career, etc....of note we're black, nonreligious, physicians with very modest roots)
-good public school pyramids
-a down to earth feel (even though we are high income, we are very laid back. We don't try to keep up with the Joneses at all and probably wouldn't be a good fit in such neighborhoods)
-mature trees
-space between homes
-access to highways to get to DC within 30-40 minutes.
-quick access to a variety of restaurants, shopping (grocery, big box stores, etc), and recreation for the future kids

While we aren't looking to buy now, we want to start visiting a few neighborhoods so that we have a grasp on what areas we'd like to focus on when it comes purchasing time.

So budget aside, any neighborhoods or cities that you all feel would be a good fit for us to explore further?

Thank you.
Given everything you value, and without knowing a ballpark budget, I recommend taking the Franconia-Springfield Parkway over to the neighborhoods of West Springfield (22152) and Burke (22015).

Old 06-25-2019, 08:01 PM

512 posts, read 444,414 times
I would recommend Oakton. The landscape is beautiful, mature trees, and homes aren't on top of each other. But I don't know if it's diverse and it's probably more then 30 minutes from Woodbridge.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:41 AM

947 posts, read 1,404,509 times
Unless more than a 30 minute commute is a real deal breaker for you, I think Reston checks all your other boxes. Pretty consistent housing stock within each neighborhood, good population mix within Reston as a whole, well-rated schools, reasonably down to earth by Fairfax County standards, a natural ambience with lots of mature trees in residential areas, good space between homes in most but not all neighborhoods, easy access to the Dulles Toll Road, and plentiful shopping options, restaurants, and recreational activities.

In addition, since you are in the medical profession, you would be within a few minutes of both Reston Hospital Center and Inova Fair Oaks, should positions in those hospitals be available/of interest.

But you won't get from Reston to Woodbridge in 30 minutes -- maybe more like 45 to 60 depending on time of day and traffic.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:47 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,269,682 times
I would take a look at Annandale outside the beltway in the Woodson HS school pyramid.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:08 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,923,761 times
So husband works in Woodbridge and you're flexible.

Have you considered south Alexandria area? Is a commute to Woodbridge still considered driving in the opposite direction of traffic? Used to be when I lived there. That is a plus at least.

You might look at communities on the Little Hunting River side. Used to love Wessynton. Woodland Park great too. Don't know how the prices are there now.

Or in the area of Potomac River side...Ferry Landing general area.

Still a fav of mine is the area at McNair Drive but that short section between the golf course and Old Mill Rd.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:49 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,654,687 times
I'd go with Alexandria but ...schools are your factor

If you don't want a shack next to a McMansion that costs $1 million and if want diversity, I'd avoid Arlington. It's basically upper class caucasion these days (unless you move to southern Arlington, but investors are eating up everything).

What about Fairfax? Maybe not as far out in Reston but towards the Rt 50 corridor that hits Rt 28? You can find some nice sized houses there that is very diverse and hits all of your checkmarks.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:49 PM

318 posts, read 468,015 times
We lived in NOVA for about 25 years -- several places - so I think I can give you some good information. Just left in 2017, and actually my hubby still commutes to DC at least once a month for work.

If your husband is working in Woodbridge and you want good schools, diversity, etc., I highly recommend West Springfield 22152 22153 area. Nice established neighborhoods, mixed ethnicities and mixed professions (we lived there) doctors, lawyers, upper echelon government workers, teachers, business owners, etc. Nice lots with trees, lots of brick homes many have been remodeled inside. Pretty close to some decent shopping, too. Not a bad drive to Woodbridge on 123 and not a bad drive to DC when you need to go downtown. Not "swank" like Vienna or Great Falls, but your mortgage would be affordable there and you have good schools.

Might take a look at Fairfax Station, as well as Burke. Certain parts of Fairfax that are right next to Fairfax County Parkway & 123 are very nice, but remember George Mason University is in that direction and generates tons of traffic, especially near Braddock Rd.

Another person mentioned Oakton, but honestly I felt Oakton was a bit snooty and overpriced. Also a pretty good drive during rush hour. Another person mention Annandale, and I believe Annandale is not all that great anymore. I know people who still live there. (take a drive down Little River Turnpike and see). The area of Annandale west of the beltway actually borders with Fairfax - it is super super congested there in morning. Like you would be right in the heart of all that congestion.

Lorton would be a maybe - some areas are nice, some not... look at the crime websites. I felt the homes in Lorton were too close together.

Good luck, hope you find your dream home.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:51 AM

17 posts, read 35,712 times
A big thank you to everyone who has responded so far. This is very helpful!

Old 06-28-2019, 12:53 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,269,682 times
Some of the best neighborhoods in Annandale are about 1 mile to the beltway. Granted, I don't drive the beltway during rush, but aren't more cars going the other direction towards Tysons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia