Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 09:53 AM

735 posts, read 1,170,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
While I don’t live in NoVA, I visit family there often. Before I needed a handicap car tag, I never noticed if a location had a reasonable number of parking spots. Now that I have a terrible back problem along with asthma and can’t walk very far, it’s apparent how inconsistent businesses and cities are in providing these parking spots.

Sometimes a large building will have just a couple spots, often some distance from the entrance. In the town I live near, the Main Street has just one handicap spot for the busiest block (both sides of the street). The Senior Center has only 4 handicap spaces.

To the OP, can your mom get a hang tag that can be used when you drive her? Is she able to be dropped off to wait while you park? Obviously that works best if a bench is provided for her to sit down. The time limits certainly don’t work if you’re seeing a movie or having a meal.
She does have a hang tag and that was what we did the last time she saw a movie there with me. That day I ended up parking in one of the garages because all the lots were filled. I didn't like having to walk back to the theater.

This evening I returned to see a movie (Toy Story 4) at the Alamo Drafthouse (I so love their dessert menu) and I asked my server what was going on with the parking restrictions. He said that One Loudoun is enforcing them and he and his fellow employees hate it is as well, but are powerless to do anything about it.

I warned him that those that made that decision had best be wary not to irk their patrons. He agreed. How much? When I got the check I discovered that I had received a discount! He also stated that they are going to build a third parking garage on the property as well. Interesting.

Anyway, despite my discounted dessert, I think I will head to the Cobb Cinemas for the foreseeable future and check out their dessert menu there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 11:39 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,118,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
She does have a hang tag and that was what we did the last time she saw a movie there with me. That day I ended up parking in one of the garages because all the lots were filled. I didn't like having to walk back to the theater.

This evening I returned to see a movie (Toy Story 4) at the Alamo Drafthouse (I so love their dessert menu) and I asked my server what was going on with the parking restrictions. He said that One Loudoun is enforcing them and he and his fellow employees hate it is as well, but are powerless to do anything about it.

I warned him that those that made that decision had best be wary not to irk their patrons. He agreed. How much? When I got the check I discovered that I had received a discount! He also stated that they are going to build a third parking garage on the property as well. Interesting.

Anyway, despite my discounted dessert, I think I will head to the Cobb Cinemas for the foreseeable future and check out their dessert menu there.
Dear lord, you act like the garage is miles away. It is a block. And I have never found one of the 15 parking spots at Cobb closer than their garage are ever free. I, too, have noticed the closest spots at OneLoudoun are short term. I just thought, "ok", and moved on with my life.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:34 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Dear lord, you act like the garage is miles away. It is a block. And I have never found one of the 15 parking spots at Cobb closer than their garage are ever free. I, too, have noticed the closest spots at OneLoudoun are short term. I just thought, "ok", and moved on with my life.
You have described exactly how it can feel when using a wheelchair to go that one block. It can be like it's miles away.

(before someone says it - it's not that way for every wheelchair user.)

Old 07-01-2019, 08:19 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You have described exactly how it can feel when using a wheelchair to go that one block. It can be like it's miles away.

(before someone says it - it's not that way for every wheelchair user.)
Fine, ask for more handicapped spots (though OP was in a position to drop off her mother and then walk - it was the walking distance she complained about, not the distance her mother would go in a wheel chair by herself) But there are only going to be so many close spots whatever you do.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Fine, ask for more handicapped spots (though OP was in a position to drop off her mother and then walk - it was the walking distance she complained about, not the distance her mother would go in a wheel chair by herself) But there are only going to be so many close spots whatever you do.
I see. Althouhgh it is annoying to the mother to have to sit there and wait while everyone walks by.

I was there today and saw no restrictions by the Trader Joes. Does the new parking policy only apply to a certain part of One Loudoun?

Old 07-01-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I see. Althouhgh it is annoying to the mother to have to sit there and wait while everyone walks by.
Yes, we should all dream of lives without any annoyances.

If I started a thread for everytime I am annoyed, I'd have enough thread to make coats for an army.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Yes, we should all dream of lives without any annoyances.

If I started a thread for everytime I am annoyed, I'd have enough thread to make coats for an army.
I can tell you have no idea what it's like. I hope it never happens to you though.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
I can tell you have no idea what it's like. I hope it never happens to you though.

ok, let's be clear here. This thread is NOT about parking for disabled people; it is about the annoyance of someone who can't park right in front of the theater.

Quote:
. I didn't like having to walk back to the theater.

Quote:
but it is still an annoyance that I wanted to bring to everyone's attention..

Quote:
instead of having the convenience of parking where they want.

But, I want to clarify that I certainly do know what it is like to deal with limited mobility and trying to find parking. I drove my grandfather around for 5 years as his mobility progressively declined (hobbling on a cane all the way to a wheelchair). And the best and easiest, always, was to drop him off at the entrance and go park myself. And I NEVER used the hangtag when I did this, as the person with the mobility issues was already inside.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:25 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:

It can indeed be annoying to have to wait for someone after being dropped off.

It can also be annoying to not be able to find a short term spot, because they are taken up by long term parkers who don't want to walk from a free garage.

It can be annoying to be stuck in traffic.

It can be annoying to wait 30 minutes for a bus.

It can be annoying to try riding a bike somewhere, and find there is no safe route - only taking the lane on a 45mph road with no bike lane, no side trail not even a rideable shoulder or halfway rideable sidewalk.

We all have to put up with annoyances.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:55 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,647,166 times
I was there last week, and I parked in the garage just cause it was there. Didn't really bother me or my experience there, though, as One Loudoun isn't very big to begin with. It's 1/4 the size of RTC. I actually think the location of One Loudoun is in the most random place than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: