Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 07:49 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times

Advertisements

These threads would be a lot easier and straight-forward if people would stop talking in euphemisms. It's super annoying, so transparent and make these threads feel predictable and like everyone is talking in circles.

ANYWAY... when you're working on a tight budget in this area or any expensive area, you're going to have to compromise on some level. So you have to take your picking - is that going to be on schools, living in an area that maybe deemed "shady", living super far our and having a long commute, etc. It really is at the discretion of the person moving to said area, you have to pick which are you willing to compromise on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 12:31 AM

318 posts, read 467,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js2013 View Post
Fair enough, thanks for the reply!

It is a little bit of a Catch-22 as a lot of our decisions for the above will be based on housing/location by necessity. However, maybe $1,800 would be a soft limit and $2,000 a hard limit? The $1,400 - $1,600 spot would be preferable but based on what we've seen that price point is not available within 2 hr commute of DC.

Also, a $250 transit subsidy from the employer so that helps when looking at Metro/VRE accessibility.

Thanks again!
I lived in Northern VA over 25 years, just moved to Fla. 2 years ago. I worked in DC for a large part of that time and you want to live as close as possible to your job.

2 hour commute... you will never see your children. :-(

Alexandria, VA - or possibly Kingstowne would be my suggestion, possibly Lorton. Metro is right there.

I do know people who live in Woodbridge and slug into work every day. It's not for everyone, but... it IS doable if you have to.

Someone mentioned Burke, but I think it's kinda far to commuting where you will be working.

Old 07-04-2019, 05:36 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbogyrl View Post
I lived in Northern VA over 25 years, just moved to Fla. 2 years ago. I worked in DC for a large part of that time and you want to live as close as possible to your job.

2 hour commute... you will never see your children. :-(

Alexandria, VA - or possibly Kingstowne would be my suggestion, possibly Lorton. Metro is right there.

I do know people who live in Woodbridge and slug into work every day. It's not for everyone, but... it IS doable if you have to.

Someone mentioned Burke, but I think it's kinda far to commuting where you will be working.
Good post.

I do think that $83,000 is kind of tough for you, but it helps that $99K is on the horizon. Since you get a subsidy, I would look for a rental townhome in Woodbridge. There are a couple of VRE stops there. The VRE will take you straight into town where you can switch to the Metro to get you to GWU.

It won't be a "short" commute, but it will be a relatively reliable one every day.

I've lived in Woodbridge for over 25 years. Is it my #1 choice to live? Nope. I drive into DC everyday but I go SUPER early and it's fine but still gets on my nerves. I've had money for several years that would allow me to move closer to DC but haven't done it out laziness and the fact that "it's not that bad."

Living in Woodbridge for a year in a rental will give you time to figure out if you like the area and where you might better live once the salary goes up. You don't need to worry about schools, really, for another few years because most the elementary schools in Woodbridge are pretty good. You have a few outliers that might not be great, but for the most part, your oldest will have a fine Kindergarten experience.

Besides the VRE. there is good bus service into DC out of commuter lots and many neighborhoods.

A good, affordable neighborhood to check is Montclair. Very good community feel, elementary schools within the neighborhood, and a good place if one parent is home all day because a lot of the community has that same lifestyle (i.e., your wife won't be the only one home as everyone leaves all day to work).

Here's an example of a townhouse rental for around $1900. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...51997675_zpid/

Old 07-05-2019, 07:56 AM

6,561 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Good post.

I do think that $83,000 is kind of tough for you, but it helps that $99K is on the horizon. Since you get a subsidy, I would look for a rental townhome in Woodbridge. There are a couple of VRE stops there. The VRE will take you straight into town where you can switch to the Metro to get you to GWU.

It won't be a "short" commute, but it will be a relatively reliable one every day.

I've lived in Woodbridge for over 25 years. Is it my #1 choice to live? Nope. I drive into DC everyday but I go SUPER early and it's fine but still gets on my nerves. I've had money for several years that would allow me to move closer to DC but haven't done it out laziness and the fact that "it's not that bad."

Living in Woodbridge for a year in a rental will give you time to figure out if you like the area and where you might better live once the salary goes up. You don't need to worry about schools, really, for another few years because most the elementary schools in Woodbridge are pretty good. You have a few outliers that might not be great, but for the most part, your oldest will have a fine Kindergarten experience.

Besides the VRE. there is good bus service into DC out of commuter lots and many neighborhoods.

A good, affordable neighborhood to check is Montclair. Very good community feel, elementary schools within the neighborhood, and a good place if one parent is home all day because a lot of the community has that same lifestyle (i.e., your wife won't be the only one home as everyone leaves all day to work).

Here's an example of a townhouse rental for around $1900. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...51997675_zpid/
I, too, would recommend the Woodbridge area and to use public transportation for your commute. I specifically recommend the Lake Ridge area (zip 22192). It's a safe and family friendly area. There are a number of townhomes for rent for $2000 or less.

I also agree that $83k is tough for a family of five. But perhaps you're a very frugal family, and will be able to make it doable until you get the salary bump. Some things to also consider: is this a considerable pay bump from your current salary, does this move provide opportunities for further career advancement, are there other advantages to moving to this area from your current location, will your wife seek employment once all the kids are in school.

Depending on your circumstances, some short-term sacrifices might be worth it for the long-term benefits.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:18 AM

7 posts, read 9,814 times
Thanks to all of you for the replies! The move is fast approaching. We have a house hunting trip scheduled soon and will definitely take your responses into consideration. Given that we don't have a solid feel for the area or a concrete knowledge of the cost of living, bills, etc., we will likely rent for a year, unless a perfect opportunity opens up. If you have any more recommendations we are grateful!

Old 08-23-2019, 09:38 AM

6,799 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js2013 View Post
Thanks to all of you for the replies! The move is fast approaching. We have a house hunting trip scheduled soon and will definitely take your responses into consideration. Given that we don't have a solid feel for the area or a concrete knowledge of the cost of living, bills, etc., we will likely rent for a year, unless a perfect opportunity opens up. If you have any more recommendations we are grateful!

Good luck. To be honest my recommendation is to lower your expectations. This area seduces you first with high salaries and humbles you with its housing costs.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:32 AM

671 posts, read 1,118,837 times
This is an Alexandria listing in your price range. Near Huntington metro yellow line. Not upper class, not a slum.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...51924636_zpid/
Not a 2 hour commute. There are other communities that are affordable with possibly better schools.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...51967852_zpid/
( I have to say 83k sounds like a lot of money to me but I am 10years out of date and was not trying to raise 3 kids)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia