Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 01:04 PM

18 posts, read 64,799 times

Advertisements

I'm interning in DC this summer and looking for a sublet in NoVA, but not having much luck. I was hoping to spend less than $950 for a share or $1200 for a studio/1BR apt, have been trolling Craig's List and NALP listings daily. Are my requirements too strict for this area?

-my own bedroom, not a converted living room!
-metro subway station within 15 minute walk
-parking nearby <$100/month

I just don't understand why I'm not finding many options. I've lived in NYC, Boston and the MD suburbs of DC and have never had this much trouble finding a place to meet those requirements

If a place doesn't offer parking on-site, how difficult is street parking near the stations? I've found some apts in DC that might work (though I'm really a suburbs kind of gal) but are there decent neighborhoods in DC where I could bring my car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 03:27 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,106,484 times
I'm guessing that what may be making your search more difficult is your request to find parking plus being within walking distance to a metro station for that amount of rent, particularly in certain areas of Northern VA. Most people who choose to live within walking distance from the metro do not need parking so the lots available charge a lot. Even in condo buildings, parking is limited and sometimes condo owners don't own a spot.

There are decent neighborhoods in DC, but even the best neigborhoods don't guarantee car safety. My husband got his old Honda Civic stolen in Georgetown so he is biased about street parking in the city based on this experience. If you've narrowed down your options, post them here and I'm sure you'll get good advice on whether you should consider a particular neighborhood.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:25 PM

18 posts, read 64,799 times
Hmmmmm...good points. If I drive to the station from further away, do some lots tend to fill up (I know this happens at some lots in MD) more than others in VA? How much do private parking lots near Metro typically charge for monthly spaces?

As far as DC hoods, I've been told to consider these areas: friendship heights, Tenleytown, van ness, woodley park, cleveland park, foggy bottom
I also posted to the DC forum here- //www.city-data.com/forum/washi...ar-summer.html

Thanks!

Old 04-16-2008, 04:56 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,106,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batgirl52 View Post
If I drive to the station from further away, do some lots tend to fill up (I know this happens at some lots in MD) more than others in VA?
To be on the safe side, you should get to a metro station before 7:30am to make sure you have a spot. Metro parking costs $4.25 per day.

Quote:
How much do private parking lots near Metro typically charge for monthly spaces?
You are likely to pay, at a minimum, $120 or more per month for parking near the areas you are considering in DC.

Quote:
As far as DC hoods, I've been told to consider these areas: friendship heights, Tenleytown, van ness, woodley park, cleveland park, foggy bottomI also posted to the DC forum here- //www.city-data.com/forum/washi...ar-summer.html
Those are all safe areas overall and you are likely to encounter other students in the ones close to a university. BTW, some apartment buildings offer shuttle service to a metro (if they aren't within walking distance)--an option you might want to consider so you don't have to drive to the metro for work.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:33 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,718,673 times
Certain areas (i.e. DC, parts of Alexandria, maybe parts of Arlington) will let you park on the street, as long as you get a residential permit. DC has temporary ones you can get, which would solve (sort of) the parking problem. It'd be cheaper than paying for a space at an apartment complex.

Another option is to live further away from the metro and either 1) drive & park, or 2) take a bus. I do the bus. It's not perfectly ideal, but for a few months it's not that bad. Not to mention that parking is free at my complex and, since it's further from a metro, the rent's a lot cheaper. If you're willing to put up with a longer commute, looking for a place with a metro shuttle or bus access might be a good option for you.

Where is your internship? I've seen some sublet ads for DC from May-Aug in your range (I'm currently looking for a friend of mine) on craigslist, especially closer to the colleges.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:46 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,870,131 times
Most of the apartments near a metro station have waiting lists for parking. It's unlikely a summer sublet would get one of those spots. I think you would have a better chance if you rented a condo that had a designated parking spot.

When I did my internship in DC in the early 1990's, I had a budget of $200 per month. I ended up sharing a 400 sq. ft. studio apt. with a classmate in SW DC and parked on the street. It was either that or pay to stay in a bunk in a frat house near GW. We later found out that most of our fellow interns rented a bedroom in houses in Brookland near Catholic U. or Shaw near Howard U.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:59 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,617,686 times
As others have said cheap parking and close metro access usually don't mix. I would consider looking in Arlington or Alexandria, depending on where you work those would probably be your best bets.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:12 AM

352 posts, read 1,592,397 times
Quote:
I'm interning in DC this summer and looking for a sublet in NoVA, but not having much luck. I was hoping to spend less than $950 for a share or $1200 for a studio/1BR apt, have been trolling Craig's List and NALP listings daily. Are my requirements too strict for this area?

-my own bedroom, not a converted living room!
-metro subway station within 15 minute walk
-parking nearby <$100/month

I just don't understand why I'm not finding many options. I've lived in NYC, Boston and the MD suburbs of DC and have never had this much trouble finding a place to meet those requirements

If a place doesn't offer parking on-site, how difficult is street parking near the stations? I've found some apts in DC that might work (though I'm really a suburbs kind of gal) but are there decent neighborhoods in DC where I could bring my car?
I think two things are working against you right now. One is that the mortgage collapse, particularly in the Metro DC area, has put increased pressure on rentals since a lot of previous homeowners are now renters, and the supply of rentals hasn't really changed.

The other thing that's working against you is the fact that it's a summer (short term) rental. I think you'd find what you wanted a lot easier on a year lease basis.

You might try to find something in the inner VA suburbs (Arlington, Falls Church, Alexandria, Vienna/Fairfax/Oakton near the Vienna or Dunn Loring Metros, Springfield near the Springfield/Franconia Metro) that has free parking, isn't walkable to Metro but does have a walkable Metrobus, Fairfax Connector or Fairfax CUE stop that goes quickly to the closest Metro stop. I think you'll have better luck if you expand your options to include that.

Best of luck!

Old 04-17-2008, 09:21 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,718,673 times
FYI, some apartment complexes have flexible lease terms (mine is anywhere from 2-12 months), which might be an option for you outside of a sublease. My particular community has overpriced 1-bedrooms (in my opinion), but the 2 bedrooms are inexpensive if you can get yourself a roommate (craigslist?). After utilities we usually pay about $1600 for 2 bed/2bath. The bad part is that it isn't furnished, which could be a hassle for just a few months.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:07 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,384,153 times
I would recommend broadening your search to places that are on a bus route with frequent service, like the eastern part of the Columbia Pike corridor in Arlington. Walking distance to the Metro seems tough with that budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia