Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2019, 06:30 AM

36 posts, read 45,285 times

Advertisements

I have a quick question and I know for the most part it will differ on which agency you work for.
If a federal agency has a daycare on-site or sponsors a daycare is it free for employees of that agency or discounted?
Outside of flex spending\thrift savings are there other childcare discounts out there or any kind of reimbursement for child care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 06:37 AM

989 posts, read 457,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kflo01 View Post
I have a quick question and I know for the most part it will differ on which agency you work for.
If a federal agency has a daycare on-site or sponsors a daycare is it free for employees of that agency or discounted?
Outside of flex spending\thrift savings are there other childcare discounts out there or any kind of reimbursement for child care?

No, they are not free and, to the best of my knowledge, not even discounted. As for other discounts, I am not aware of any, but I've been out of needing daycare for quite some time so I can't say for sure.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:51 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Toy. Damn.
If we make it down that way the wife would be home with the baby if she doesn't end up finding a job right away. Kindergarten can't get here fast enough.

Old 10-21-2019, 12:27 PM

722 posts, read 1,925,488 times
Quote:
If we make it down that way the wife would be home with the baby if she doesn't end up finding a job right away. Kindergarten can't get here fast enough.
Don't forget with Kindergarten you'll still need before/after school care. Plus with the winter weather around here expect "unexpected" snow/ice days with no school. Every winter I see a lot of griping from parents who rely on school for childcare.

Old 10-21-2019, 02:52 PM

989 posts, read 457,544 times
Quote:
Childcare was an issue for me early on in my career. There were times that I was only breaking even...but I had to look at the long-term aspect of continuing in my career field. Opting out would have been a huge hit on my earning potential. If your wife has a real career and opting out will set her back or cut back on retirement savings, just suck it up for a few years. If her career can easily be dropped and started again, then stay home.

I had two in daycare at once and it was hard, but I am so glad (today) I did not drop out of workforce. It would have been very detrimental for me, but that's a different topic I suppose.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:39 AM

Thanks.
The wife could end up with a great career if we get lucky. Otherwise, her career in new york was only netting her low 40's, she hates what she does now. She currently is in process with the FBI for SA position. Early stages but we are praying she gets hired. The reason we are looking for places in Northern VA is we are hoping if it pans out she can get placed in DC, and I would be employed with an agency in Northern VA.

If it doesn't pan out for her then she can always do the same career she is doing now (occupational therapist assistant) but it doesn't pay much at all. I told her she'd be better off looking for something Admin related on usajobs than sticky with that. She does have some limited HR experience and could maybe get a GS7/9 in HR too, which is an option.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:08 AM

9,887 posts, read 14,159,951 times
Quote:
Thanks.
The wife could end up with a great career if we get lucky. Otherwise, her career in new york was only netting her low 40's, she hates what she does now. She currently is in process with the FBI for SA position. Early stages but we are praying she gets hired. The reason we are looking for places in Northern VA is we are hoping if it pans out she can get placed in DC, and I would be employed with an agency in Northern VA.

If it doesn't pan out for her then she can always do the same career she is doing now (occupational therapist assistant) but it doesn't pay much at all. I told her she'd be better off looking for something Admin related on usajobs than sticky with that. She does have some limited HR experience and could maybe get a GS7/9 in HR too, which is an option.

Occupational therapist to an unrelated field at a Federal Agency? Unless she is a veteran, I think you are underestimating the difficulty getting hired by the Fed gov't. Certainly not impossible, but not an easy gig to land at any level.

Old 10-22-2019, 05:41 PM

Spencgr I hear you. I agree but her sister went from being a school teacher to working for Patents. Both are far off from one another, probably not the norm though.
Figured she has a good work history, 4 year and 2 year degree she should have a good shot at something entry-level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia