Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 09:34 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,863,211 times

Advertisements

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...es/2116870002/

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/mon...nt/1986718002/

Looks like they want the "child care model to be changed". That seems to be just another way of saying they want free and drastically reduced prices for childcare and the government pays the rest.

Seems like liberals want 22 or 23 years of government-paid education programs as opposed to the current 13 years.

Interesting, how it doesn't seem two-parents working full-time with megacommutes and big child care expenses isn't the utopia as promised.

Rather then 13 years of schooling paid for by government, liberals seem to advocate birth thru college for free which would mean 22+ years paid for by government.

Since day-care and universities are more expensive this would require the educational component of taxes to nearly double from the already extreme expenses

They haven't seen anything yet, minimum wages are set to skyrocket in many states and supposedly child care worker wages tend to be several dollars over the minimum wage.

There is also lots of parents out there only paying a few dollars a day for childcare and the government takes care of the rest, which means that supply plummets from all the welfare payments which means child-care centers can charge as much as they want for middle-class parents.

Supposedly, many centers charge a dollar a minute after 6pm which means if a parent is stuck in traffic like many cities that they run up a big tab for being late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 09:45 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
So we should all move to East Bumble, ND; population 250?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 12-06-2018 at 03:51 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 12-05-2018, 11:00 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
It was zero at my house. I worked two jobs and wife stayed home.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:13 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
This was part of why my spouse and I decided it would be better to focus on maximizing his income potential while I left my career to become a full-time mother. I'm not sure our strategy would be wise or even successful for a couple today, but we were able to make it work.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:21 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...es/2116870002/

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/mon...nt/1986718002/

Looks like
they want the "child care model to be changed". That seems to be just another way of saying they want free and drastically reduced prices for childcare and the government pays the rest.

Seems like liberals want 22 or 23 years of government-paid education programs as opposed to the current 13 years.

Interesting, how it doesn't seem two-parents working full-time with megacommutes and big child care expenses isn't the utopia as promised.

Rather then 13 years of schooling paid for by government, liberals seem to advocate birth thru college for free which would mean 22+ years paid for by government.

Since day-care and universities are more expensive this would require the educational component of taxes to nearly double from the already extreme expenses

They haven't seen anything yet, minimum wages are set to skyrocket in many states and supposedly child care worker wages tend to be several dollars over the minimum wage.

There is also lots of parents out there only paying a few dollars a day for childcare and the government takes care of the rest, which means that supply plummets from all the welfare payments which means child-care centers can charge as much as they want for middle-class parents.

Supposedly, many centers charge a dollar a minute after 6pm which means if a parent is stuck in traffic like many cities that they run up a big tab for being late.
Interesting bunch of assumptions you've pulled together there.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:01 AM

808 posts, read 541,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
In other news, “lovecrowds†hates the free market.

More news at 10.
Um, this isn't about the "free market".

When I was a kid, in the 50s, neighbors took care of the kids.
When I was a mom, in the 80s, I took my child to a loving, wonderful neighbor who sometimes had over 9(!) kids running in and out of her house. My child loved her, I found her from friend who gave her raving reviews. She didn't have a "approved" day-care center, it was her house. She had no problems hugging the kids. She fed them lunch, she make good money, she had no employees.

Now, daycare consists of very expensive buildings with minimum wage, high-turnover kids who have a very hands-off attitude, that costs a fortune. There are all kids of government-regulated requirements that are completely unnecessary and that only add to the cost. And my grandkids come home in a bad mood, stressed out from daycare!

If it was a truly free market system, we could have amateur, experienced moms charging $5/hour for five or eight kids, and everyone would be happy. If they were not good caregivers, they would not have customers.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:16 AM

2,362 posts, read 777,709 times
People need to live off their wages, so what do you expect? What should happen is more maternity and paternity leave guaranteed by your company. Also, in the WFH era, many people should be able to do their jobs from home during this critical phase.

Also, I would like to see the government subsidizing couples having children. I remember reading that Gaddafi used to give $1000 USD to the family for every newborn. The USA government can do something like that, afterall it needs a young generation to work and pay into the system so the previous generation can retire in dignity.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:39 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
Now, daycare consists of very expensive buildings with minimum wage, high-turnover kids who have a very hands-off attitude, that costs a fortune. There are all kids of government-regulated requirements that are completely unnecessary and that only add to the cost. And my grandkids come home in a bad mood, stressed out from daycare!
In certain states (mine included), once you have more than a certain number of kids (mine state is 6 or more) under paid care, you have to be licensed as well as all the people working the daycare. It is operated more like a private school with required development processes/plans in place. They are not run all by high-turnover kids/teens. All my children went through daycare that was run by trained or degree holding professionals in child development/education related fields. They had an additional assistant that were usually college students pursuing the same field.

The pro is that kids get more than just a watchful eye in front of a TV. Many even offer kindergarten level programs at full time as many towns in my area only offer half day kindergarten.

The con is the cost... pretty much at the same level as private school. For a full month, mine area is close to $2000 a month per child.

Cheaper options are also available through churches. Other daycares are also at lower prices but unfortunately to me weren't in the locations that we needed them. Ours was walking distances from home. Other parents (long commuting ones) needed it to be closer to business districts were they worked so they were closer to work in case of emergencies or they had to work past daycare closing. In these areas, you can be dealing with waiting lists and such so the price is reflective of the demand.

Our infant daycare had as much as 18 infants with a legal ration of caregiver to infants maintained in a large room. They had to have fire drills to show that they can evacuate all the infants within a certain amount of time all the cribs were on larger wheels to traverse the rear door/ramp and sidewalk outside.

Again... the infant room wasn't run by a bunch of minimum wage kids.

If your grand kids were all in a bad mood and stressed out, why not just move them somewhere else? You want a free market, play the part.

Quote:
If it was a truly free market system, we could have amateur, experienced moms charging $5/hour for five or eight kids, and everyone would be happy. If they were not good caregivers, they would not have customers.
There is nothing that stops parents from finding amateur/stay at home moms, etc to watch their children. Many, actually a lot, do... Especially in lower income areas were there is a need and willing caregivers. They are just not allowed to go over 5 children for safety reasons already mentioned. The reality is not everyone can afford daycare, they just need someone responsible to watch the children and engage them. That's ok... nothing wrong with that.

In some areas, like mine, most of the households are dual income and single generation. There are simply no one available to watch the children. The ones that have someone staying at home are generally fortunate enough to afford a single income situation and not interested in taking on others children plus the responsibility and LIABILITY at a measly 5 buck per child.

What you are failing to realize is that a free market system works in both directions not just in favor of competitive pricing for consumers/customers. If the demand is high and available services (supply) is low, then the price is higher. If there isn't enough market or profit incentive no one is going to offer it out of pure goodwill unless it is a family member or close friend doing it as a favor. Taking responsibility for someone else's child is a huge responsibility and potential liability can be life altering / financial ending...

You seem to only think that free market equates to lower prices.... it actually can work in the opposite when the demand is higher than supply.

Yes... It sucked. I have three children... do the math. We understood this and that's why our household expenses are a fraction our household income. We live the same exact lifestyle as we did when we earned 1/3rd the income (just out of college) precisely for these reasons. We still live in the same home we bought almost 20 years ago... 1000 sqft home and manage with 5 people. My mortgage is lower than most rents.

If I would attribute the cost of day care is a reflect of the higher cost of living in my area.... again... my choice.. I could have always moved away to East Bumbl***** but we did not and that was our choice. I'm not going to point the finger and whine about it... ok.... I may whine about a little but I'm certainly not going to point the finger. lol

Last edited by usayit; 12-06-2018 at 03:55 AM..

Old 12-06-2018, 03:47 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
People need to live off their wages, so what do you expect? What should happen is more maternity and paternity leave guaranteed by your company. Also, in the WFH era, many people should be able to do their jobs from home during this critical phase.

Also, I would like to see the government subsidizing couples having children.
They already do: annual tax deduction for each child, child care tax credit, etc. It amounts to several thousands of dollars/year per child.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:50 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Interesting bunch of assumptions you've pulled together there.
Yes... I agree.. Lots of assumptions to facilitate a rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies