Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 07:57 PM

126 posts, read 189,394 times

Advertisements

It doesn't make sense that the entire contract goes to MS. I wonder what will happen to Amazon's HQ2 strategic plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 01:09 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,972,333 times
Always been a lot of NT in the DMV...New Taxes. Microsoft missed the browser revolution, VOD, and smart phones. My life became better, when I no longer used any of their products. It sure did make a lot of underachievers, IT Guys, most living in the DC area, especially the overpaid ones. I am having trouble with my Win 10 upgrade...bwahaha. Microsoft is a culture of boring, bureacratic, corrupt, slow, and expensive..it's a perfect fit, and can be done a lot more covertly than an 800 Dollar hammer.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:33 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Always been a lot of NT in the DMV...New Taxes. Microsoft missed the browser revolution, VOD, and smart phones. My life became better, when I no longer used any of their products. It sure did make a lot of underachievers, IT Guys, most living in the DC area, especially the overpaid ones. I am having trouble with my Win 10 upgrade...bwahaha. Microsoft is a culture of boring, bureacratic, corrupt, slow, and expensive..it's a perfect fit, and can be done a lot more covertly than an 800 Dollar hammer.
Is there an English version of this post?

Old 10-28-2019, 12:24 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rome99 View Post
It doesn't make sense that the entire contract goes to MS. I wonder what will happen to Amazon's HQ2 strategic plan?
To my understanding this has nothing to do with HQ2- it was geared more to AWS out in Herndon.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:45 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,557,786 times
If HQ2’s location could be any closer to the pentagon itself, it’d be the pentagon itself...
article today in wash biz journal made it sound like “Jedi” wasn’t really awarded to Microsoft as we’ve understood Jedi to be. Not a 10 year $10b award to Microsoft, but rather a reduced 2 year at $200m with a review of progress at that point to renew. So maybe it’s been sliced and diced and modified to sprinkle around instead - or awarded with a different time frame that curiously aligns to the completion date for HQ2 construction. I say that because I find it curious amazon doesn’t appear to be protesting the decision at this point.

Old 10-29-2019, 10:32 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
I thought government contracts could not exceed a year but could have options longer than that period?

Old 10-29-2019, 11:28 AM

271 posts, read 446,806 times
AWS is still growing (I work across the street), customers are still using their platforms and I assume their (AWS) expansion will continue forward as legacy IT on premises networks modernize towards cloud offered solutions.

My humble two cents since I live in Prince William....

Last edited by Jon_In_NOVA; 10-29-2019 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 10-29-2019, 03:44 PM

197 posts, read 166,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
If HQ2’s location could be any closer to the pentagon itself, it’d be the pentagon itself...
article today in wash biz journal made it sound like “Jedi” wasn’t really awarded to Microsoft as we’ve understood Jedi to be. Not a 10 year $10b award to Microsoft, but rather a reduced 2 year at $200m with a review of progress at that point to renew. So maybe it’s been sliced and diced and modified to sprinkle around instead - or awarded with a different time frame that curiously aligns to the completion date for HQ2 construction. I say that because I find it curious amazon doesn’t appear to be protesting the decision at this point.
Your commander in chief said some intresting things to mattis and co. They may protest but after peach mint issues work themselves out. Otherwise its a moot pt.

However I personally don’t see the issue w the award. Dod and ic need to spread cloud intiatives around avoid a single expensive point of failure

Old 10-30-2019, 09:44 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
It's logical to move toward standardization of how software and data are managed in cloud and outside cloud to make systems interoperable with minimal overhead.

https://www.geekwire.com/2019/jedi-e...st-won-amazon/

Old 11-01-2019, 02:23 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
It's logical to move toward standardization of how software and data are managed in cloud and outside cloud to make systems interoperable with minimal overhead.

https://www.geekwire.com/2019/jedi-e...st-won-amazon/
Oftentimes it's worth it for the government to be inefficient for the sake of redundancy, especially with security matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia