Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 11:16 PM

147 posts, read 255,611 times

Advertisements

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...564108991.html

I know this has been in the works for a couple of years and they have not completed the entire complex (theaters, park, condos etc) with everything else that is coming but the article makes it sound as if Tysons doesn't currently have a grocery store.
I guess I don't understand why there would be a line into a grocery store these days.
Quote:
Residents will now have a place to buy bread, milk and groceries — and extras including a full bar complete with pinball.
There is a very nice Harris Teeter about a half mile away and a Walmart super center right across route 7 people.
I work near the McLean metro stop and occasionally drive to the Bank of America Building directly across the street from this new grocery store. Until they finish everything the traffic will be epic but can someone enlighten me on the direct impact right now?
After business hours I don't see a ton of people needing this at the moment as it appears they would drive or walk from across route 7 or from the side that already has a Harris Teeter.
Maybe those living at the Rotunda condos and the new super tall Adaire apartments or that new highrise going up at Pinnacle drive next to the metro.

I guess this is the start of the great transition where the car dealers will be gone and highrise condos will rule
Tysons. I cannot find the original article I saw before detailing the complete changes coming.

Thanks for any education on this folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 11:17 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,653,017 times
Tysons is so weird....it's trying so hard to be this livable walkable area, but Rt 7 kills any enthusiasm for me ever wanting to go to that area.

Old 10-31-2019, 11:25 AM

1,013 posts, read 728,084 times
Can the Tyson’s Corner area get any more congested? We drive to nearby McLean several times a year to visit family and it feels like every time there are more stores, office buildings, cars, etc. It reached critical mass a long time ago yet it keeps growing.

Old 10-31-2019, 12:25 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,406,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Tysons is so weird....it's trying so hard to be this livable walkable area, but Rt 7 kills any enthusiasm for me ever wanting to go to that area.
Yeah I like Tysons but it will never be an Arlington or Alexandria. The way it was built, it’s suburban and that’s hard to truly change. Like a lot of suburban areas now I think you’ll have pockets of walkable areas but it’s not going to be what they’re hoping for.

Also on a side note, used to love Whole Foods but Wegmans is far superior to me these days. I’ll still check this one out though.

Old 10-31-2019, 12:29 PM

16,427 posts, read 12,542,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
Can the Tyson’s Corner area get any more congested?

Shhhhhhh ... don't even put that out there. They'll take it as a challenge!

Old 10-31-2019, 01:41 PM

110 posts, read 123,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Yeah I like Tysons but it will never be an Arlington or Alexandria. The way it was built, it’s suburban and that’s hard to truly change. Like a lot of suburban areas now I think you’ll have pockets of walkable areas but it’s not going to be what they’re hoping for.

Also on a side note, used to love Whole Foods but Wegmans is far superior to me these days. I’ll still check this one out though.
Are you serious? Arlington and Alexandria are mainly the land of low and mid rise developments. Tyson's is on its way to being mainly mid to hi rise, this will end up in it being much more walkable long term.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:45 PM

147 posts, read 255,611 times
Ozzyngcsu
Yes but how long do you figure it will take for the density and complete transformation? 3 yrs? 5 - 7 yrs?
High metro ridership is part of that formula and currently the silver line has not been completed/worked out the kinks.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:59 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,406,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyngcsu View Post
Are you serious? Arlington and Alexandria are mainly the land of low and mid rise developments. Tyson's is on its way to being mainly mid to hi rise, this will end up in it being much more walkable long term.
Have you tried walking or biking in Tysons recently? Ha, good luck with that.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:40 PM

20,165 posts, read 9,065,378 times
I preferred it when Route 7 was a two lane road. One traffic light at Tysons, next one going west on 7 was in Leesburg.

Old 10-31-2019, 07:22 PM

6,822 posts, read 4,272,827 times
Tyson's is basically dystopia. It's too planned and commercial to have soul, not planned enough to make sense as a neighborhood. It's just a bunch of random developments sort of in proximity to each other. Big roads and freeways cut through it as well which adds to the effect of the major properties like shopping malls, car dealerships etc. in terms of removing any sense of place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia