Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2019, 09:58 AM

7 posts, read 8,716 times

Advertisements

hi moving to mclean in dec where to find single house?. Prices are very high in Mclean .I will be working near tyson corner need single family house around 600 k .Is there any good high school area where prices are affordable . Don't want to pay higher association for town high . any help will be appriciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 10:06 AM

1,013 posts, read 729,158 times
Disclaimer: I don’t live in McLean but my son’s family does , been there for many years and we visit often.

It will be really hard to find anything at 600k in McLean, let alone a single family home. Tear-downs sell for $700k+. The 2 high schools, McLean and Langley, are excellent academically, but McLean h.s. Is very overcrowded and Langley is underenrolled due to the school board not revising boundaries. The recent school board election may bring changes to that.

I will leave it to others to advise on more affordable housing for people working in the Tysons area. My impression is that most if not all the area schools are good. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:11 AM

512 posts, read 444,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraverma01 View Post
hi moving to mclean in dec where to find single house?. Prices are very high in Mclean .I will be working near tyson corner need single family house around 600 k .Is there any good high school area where prices are affordable . Don't want to pay higher association for town high . any help will be appriciated.
Thanks
House in McLean for $600, good one!

Old 11-11-2019, 11:17 AM

894 posts, read 1,327,225 times
lol funny guy. Single family for 600k in Mclean.

Old 11-11-2019, 03:24 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,292,174 times
You aren’t going to find anything. You will be competing for houses with developers with cash offers.

You also probably shouldn’t bother with Vienna because the same thing will be true. You may find something in Oakton (small) or in Fairfax near Dunn Loring. There may also be a few options in the less desirable parts of Falls Church.

Old 11-11-2019, 03:27 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,625,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraverma01 View Post
Thanks
What you are looking for doesn't exist in McLean. You will be hard pressed to find a single family home for $600k that is within a 30 minute commute of the Tysons area - and at that price range the home will likely require a lot of updating/ renovations.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:02 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,410,844 times
l live in the Alexandria area (Fairfax County not City) and used to work in the Tysons area. Commuting during rush hour normally took around 50 minutes each way, Mon to Fri. On bad days it could take up to two hours. On a typical Sunday morning, about 20-25 minutes. In our area it's not the commuting distance that matters the most, but the traffic.

Based on the limited info you told us - SFH with decent high school under 600K closer to Tysons, I think your sweet spot would be Falls Church or possibly Annandale (a bit more of a commute). There are many such properties within your price range in those areas but those will be older properties. Many of the older neighborhoods do not have HOAs. Neighborhoods vary in quality of life and the quality of the schools. Since you are not familiar with the NoVA area, I recommend you find an experienced local Buyers Agent and work with them to find a property and neighborhood best suited to your tastes, needs, and budget.

Last edited by ersatz; 11-11-2019 at 05:18 PM..

Old 11-13-2019, 02:34 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,654,384 times
I don't think you'll be able to find a SFH within 30 mins of McLean. I think if you're looking for that, your best bets are probably Alexandria (the FFX County side), or down south in Woodbridge/Lorton. Those will be older, though. The only newer homes in that price range will probably be in Aldie, and that's a 40-50 min drive to Tysons.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:48 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,292,174 times
There are options in the $600k arena in Fairfax City. The commute to and from Tyson’s isn’t bad especially compared to Lorton or Alexandria. You can get a good 4 bed/3 bath house in Fairfax for that price.

Old 11-14-2019, 06:04 AM

894 posts, read 1,327,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I don't think you'll be able to find a SFH within 30 mins of McLean. I think if you're looking for that, your best bets are probably Alexandria (the FFX County side), or down south in Woodbridge/Lorton. Those will be older, though. The only newer homes in that price range will probably be in Aldie, and that's a 40-50 min drive to Tysons.
100% correct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia