Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2019, 06:18 PM

107 posts, read 154,934 times

Advertisements

Would Quaker Lane be a tough street to live on, in terms of noise and traffic? Some of the houses there are so nice, but I wonder if I would regret moving to a street like Quaker. Any insight welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 06:41 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,144,587 times
It's a major cut-through road. Lots of traffic for kids to dodge.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:58 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,209,364 times
I live on a major road, Rt 50, and my front door is about 30 feet from the street, and am not bothered at all. So, things to consider:

1) How sensitive are you to noise?

20 How close is your house to the road?
3) How are the rooms positioned?
4) What type of traffic is generally on the road?

If the cards align, it will work. I wake up early to get downtown. So, if I happen to wake up before my alarm goes off; I can generally tell what time it is by the amount of traffic going by. Never annoying or disruptive; just information to process. If I hear Harley engines roaring, I know it is a weekend morning about 11.

Remember, millions of people live in NYC with constant noise....

Old 12-11-2019, 08:00 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,868,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montacute View Post
Would Quaker Lane be a tough street to live on, in terms of noise and traffic? Some of the houses there are so nice, but I wonder if I would regret moving to a street like Quaker. Any insight welcome.
Quaker Lane is one of the busiest roads in Alexandria. I live on a street similar in Arlington. I would not recommend it especially if you have kids that want to play outside from my experience.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:05 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,435,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
It's a major cut-through road. Lots of traffic for kids to dodge.
Cut through? It's two lanes on each side with a median and 395 exits onto it Just another busy nova road with businesses along parts of it.

No a cut through is like Wakefield Chapel Rd where you can't even make a left hand turn out of your own cul de sac in the mornings. One lane each side through a development.

OP you'll find that a lot of homes on Quaker and similar have large bushes/trees in the front for privacy. Homes were built before the road became super busy. Would not be a top choice for me to live on plenty of homes on side streets.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:49 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,510,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Quaker Lane is one of the busiest roads in Alexandria. I live on a street similar in Arlington. I would not recommend it especially if you have kids that want to play outside from my experience.
Or pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: