Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 03:29 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
"Sketchy" doesn't always have "racial undertones to it". I spent most of my childhood in a town that was nearly 100% white and believe me, there were "sketchy" areas that I knew to avoid. The people who lived in those areas were white. As a young kid, I learned to give those neighborhoods a wide berth.
Sure. People call Spotsylvania "Spotsy-tucky" so that's not to say that there aren't class elements at hand, too when we're having these discussions but if we're being completely objective there's a huge racial undertone when people post here about the kind of schools and neighborhoods they're looking for and for anyone here to pretend to be oblivious to that is a joke and intellectually dishonest.

Also, let me be clear, like I don't think people are bad or terrible people because they're spending a lot of their hard earned money and want to ensure their kids get a good education or that they're in a good neighborhood with minimal crime. There's nothing wrong with that but it's annoying when people want to play the gaslighting game and pretend that race in no way whatsoever has to do with those kinds of conversations when we all know it does, just call a spade a spade.

Last edited by NOVA_guy; 01-03-2020 at 03:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 04:26 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
There's nothing wrong with that but it's annoying when people want to play the gaslighting game and pretend that race in no way whatsoever has to do with those kinds of conversations when we all know it does, just call a spade a spade.

Errr …. cough

Old 01-03-2020, 04:30 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Serious question here so please do not think I am trying to start something and I'm certain the regulars on here know that's not what I'm about. But would anyone here bat an eye if I posted the same thing but stated white male professional? Just curious why in today's climate anyone needs to mention their race as all neighborhoods should be pretty much a mix of all kinds by now. I realize some still need some work but adding a race seems counter-productive. Am I over thinking this?
Really? The fact that this question was even asked on this thread highlights EXACTLY why the OP would want to make it known he is of a certain race and is looking for areas he would be comfortable as that race.

As a black male myself, I’d recommend anything on the Orange Line in Arlington. I’ve lived right outside Ballston for three years and feel comfortable enough here.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:00 PM

514 posts, read 442,194 times
Arlington of course would be good due to proximity to DC and since you’re new to the area, I’m sure you’ll want to explore DC. I would also check out Reston. There are various new apartment buildings near the metro and many of them are vacant, so you could probably get a good deal right now.

For example; the below bldg. was just completed and they’re still working on landscaping. It looks very nice. I’m guessing you could probably get one month fee rent since the bldg. is still mostly empty.

https://www.lincolnatwiehle.com/wieh...ion-reston-va/

Good luck!

Old 01-04-2020, 12:07 AM

73 posts, read 39,059 times
I think one's personality effects who they want to be around, and then one's culture, and then after that, if one's race makes them stand out in a negative or uncomfortable way, then that could matter too, so it surely just depends on the whole of the person concerning how much these things could matter.

Being said, as diverse as Arlington is, it does not have a high African-American population in general, and even less so in certain areas. If race and culture matters a lot to the OP, and which is fine with me, then it's possible that Arlington may not be the best of available choices (and again, I think it just depends on how important race and/or African-American culture is to the OP).

I know a successful African-American woman who lives in Bethesda, MD, and the area looks very beautiful too, maybe check out that area. I can't think of anywhere that I've seen in NOVA that appears to have a hardy black population.

Old 01-04-2020, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Serious question here so please do not think I am trying to start something and I'm certain the regulars on here know that's not what I'm about. But would anyone here bat an eye if I posted the same thing but stated white male professional? Just curious why in today's climate anyone needs to mention their race as all neighborhoods should be pretty much a mix of all kinds by now. I realize some still need some work but adding a race seems counter-productive. Am I over thinking this?

I personally would not bat an eye, and I have seen many of these kinds of questions about demographics by white people.

Standing out in some neighborhoods could increase your chances of being mugged, so its OK to just ask, even if you are white.

Old 01-04-2020, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
As a black male myself, I’d recommend anything on the Orange Line in Arlington. I’ve lived right outside Ballston for three years and feel comfortable enough here.

"Anything along the orange line in Arlington" for the OP to commute via metro into McClean everyday for work is not feasible.

Also, the OP stated that she would like a decently sized African-American population, and while you may be a black male, it does not mean that Arlington has around a 20% population of African-Americans as the OP stated is desired - it definitely does not in the Ballston / VA Sqr areas!

Finally -and more importantly- who wants to pay around $2,000 a month in rent just to be "comfortable enough"?

There are wonderful choices for young black professionals, where they don't have to be "comfortable enough" but can actually be very happy.

******Please look into your options in Maryland as well, especially Bethesda (very upscale), but also please see about avoiding most of PG county, which is a frequent topic in the MD forum (another good resource).

Last edited by Vernum; 01-04-2020 at 01:18 AM..

Old 01-04-2020, 03:46 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernum View Post
"Anything along the orange line in Arlington" for the OP to commute via metro into McClean everyday for work is not feasible..
Why not?? seems like a pretty east commute?

Old 01-04-2020, 04:19 AM

989 posts, read 455,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernum View Post

******Please look into your options in Maryland as well, especially Bethesda (very upscale), but also please see about avoiding most of PG county, which is a frequent topic in the MD forum (another good resource).
These are good suggestions but the commute kind of goes to hell at that point. Even in DC proper, which is a fabulous mix of youngish professionals in all colors of the rainbow, is tough when you're trying to get out of town into Tyson's. It's the very reason my son moved out of DC first chance he got: getting to Tyson's via metro and car was awful. If you can move into DC and situate yourself near the silver line it's much better.

Old 01-04-2020, 04:55 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Really? The fact that this question was even asked on this thread highlights EXACTLY why the OP would want to make it known he is of a certain race and is looking for areas he would be comfortable as that race.

So my black friends living in Woodbridge/Manassas, now Woodstock and others here in the valley are all living in the wrong locations? Black friends of mine from Manassas back in the 70's after high school that went on to successful careers all lived in the wrong location? Come on now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia