Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 04:26 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,510,190 times

Advertisements

This post is mainly about your experience these days and how it has affected your life. I'm lucky enough to be on extended paid leave from work. I'm 66 and considered "high risk" since I've had asthma and bad allergies for many years. I've been holed up in my condo for the last week, and have been wondering what life is like out there. I have enough food for the next 2 or 3 weeks, but at some point I will have to do some grocery shopping.Is there any food left at the grocery stores? Is it 'Lord of the Flies' out there yet? I've seen news reports of packed bars, gyms, etc.. There was a story on the news about Italians in disbelief about our cavalier attitude about what awaits us.It all seems very surreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 04:34 PM

989 posts, read 456,318 times
Depending on which grocery store you go to, yes there is food. Little-to-none on the toilet paper. Wegman's was very spotty but the Safeway was great. It seems the most popular stores (Target, Wegman's, Costco, etc) have been pillaged where the other less popular stores have more stock. Normally no one ever goes to the Safeway's near us because we have Wegman's so that's why I went there and they had enough of things to get your through. For instance, at Safeway, the soup aisle was chock full with every variety of Progresso soup you can imagine will pallets of more of it sitting in the aisle. Wegman's had NO soup. None. No pasta, unless you like the kind of pasta made from lentils.

I did go out today with my son who came down to Woodbridge from Arlington to get some pet supplies. We decided to have lunch while out and it was kind of scary. Both Mission BBQ and Boston Market had no one in them. We ended up at Noodles & Co. where we were only one of three tables dining. Lots of cleaning and safe handling going on. But restaurants are dead. Now, my son said Arlington (at least yesterday and last night) was "hopping" with people in the bars and restaurants. Different demographic I guess.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:14 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Wegmans is limiting how much of certain items you can buy (TP). I saw a list on their website.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:11 PM

947 posts, read 1,402,419 times
Whatever any of us reports is probably anecdotal and our own particular experience, but I'll give it a shot.

The first thing I've noticed is the drastic drop-off in traffic. I looked at Google Maps at 5:00 PM today for the status of traffic, and every road and highway in the DC metro area was green (i.e., light traffic) -- even the Dulles Toll Road, I-66, and the Beltway. My house backs up to Lawyers Road, which is a fairly important commuter route between Reston and Vienna, and since yesterday I have been struck by how quiet it has been, even in rush hour.

As for stores and shopping, when I went last week to the Costco at the end of Ox Road by Lee Highway and the Fairfax County Parkway for our usual run every second month or so, it was controlled pandemonium. I arrived five minutes after it opened, and was lucky to get one of the few remaining parking spaces. By the time I left, cars were circling the lot looking for a place to park. Inside the store, aisles were absolutely packed and -- you guessed it -- at least half the shopping carts had one or two mega-packs of toilet paper. When I asked a Costco employee if the Toilet Paper Apocalypse had indeed finally arrived, he replied that it had been that way for the past two weeks.

Today my wife and I went to our local Giant in the Fox Mill shopping center on the Reston/Herndon border to do our regular shopping and slightly bump up a few items for the duration. We only bought what we needed, a reasonable amount, nothing more nothing less. We've always kept a modest stash of supplies for emergencies, and since early February have been gradually increasing it (the cat's stockpile was in better shape than ours -- priorities, you know :-).

The atmosphere inside Giant was pretty calm, with an average number of shoppers. Other than the usual suspects of toilet paper, hand sanitizers, etc, that were totally out, the only sections that seemed to have less than usual were meat and bread, although there was still a reasonable selection of both. The produce and dairy sections were very well stocked, and milk was available. The only person I saw who really seemed to be stockpiling for the End Days was the woman in front of me at the checkout, who rang up a $500+ bill and filled two large shopping carts to the brim.

So, that's one snapshot, and only a snapshot, from the NoVa front lines. Your experiences of course may differ, but let's hope all of us remain calm, pull together as one, listen to the experts' advice, and stay healthy.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:27 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
We went to Safeway last Friday and lots of items were picked clean --- no paper towels at all, very little in the way of cleaning supplies. My husband wanted to buy some ramen soup cups but not only were they on sale at Safeway that week but the supply was just about picked clean.

Saturday, we went to Harris Teeter and were able to get paper towels. All things considered, the store was well stocked and not very crowded. In fact, employees were working at stocking shelves when we were there. So...we bought some canned items and a few frozen items. The one thing I had hoped to buy was some shelf stable milk but the only kind they had left was goat's milk...

Sunday, we stopped by the post office to get our mail. Usually on Sundays, we go and never run into anyone. It figures---this past Sunday, no sooner did I approach the post office, two other people showed up---but what can you do?

Being seniors with some health issues, we are in that high risk group. We, have, however, gone once to the exercise room in our building. They always keep wipes in stock so we wiped down the equipment we used. Not many people have been in the room when we were there so we all were spread out. Otherwise, we plan to stay holed up until the food supply seriously dwindles.

All Harris Teeters plan to close at 9 p.m. and use that time after closing to sanitize and restock. I understand the logic behind it however, it would have been nice to be able to shop late at night to avoid crowds.

My husband has a dental appt. next week. No word yet if they expect him to keep it... Next month I'm scheduled for a hair cut, most likely that will have to be postponed.

Here's hoping that we all stay safe and healthy!

Old 03-16-2020, 08:23 PM

349 posts, read 244,305 times
We went to Giant (in Sterling, off of 7) middle of last week, and needed toilet paper among other things. Most of it was gone, but we were able to get one 9-roll pack of our preferred brand. While we probably could’ve waited, I didn’t want to risk if it was sold out before being restocked.

Sure enough went tonight and we noticed the paper towels, tissues, and toilet paper were completely out. No poultry (so instead of chicken we got some frozen pizzas and pre-cooked chicken and ham). Pasta was nearly out. Yet, there’s still hand soap!!

I will say both trips, we tend to go 8-9pm and it’s not usually busy. Tonight seemed slightly busier than usual, but still not crowded at all and easy to get in and get out.

I’ve been working at home since last Wednesday (well, after driving in to get my computer and work stuff, then turned around and headed home!). Husband is still going in to his office, though he has the option to work at home, but his office is small (and other coworkers already teleworking) and he drives in so I’m not too worried about him right now. He said traffic was much lighter today, which makes sense since kids aren’t in school and I’m sure many people are teleworking.

Everyone stay safe and wash your hands!

Old 03-17-2020, 10:18 AM

103 posts, read 183,685 times
Trader Joes has been constantly re-stocking. Small chains like Lidl and Aldi have also decent stock.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:28 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,350,110 times
I've tried with both Giant and Safeway for a home delivery and both are filled up with only delivery 10 days away. Crazy!

Old 03-17-2020, 11:24 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,290,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I've tried with both Giant and Safeway for a home delivery and both are filled up with only delivery 10 days away. Crazy!
I noticed that starting Friday, there were no options for Amazon Fresh or Whole Foods delivery. I’m still not seeing any. Safeway was fine when I went Friday.

I think restaurants are really starting to feel it. This isn’t like a snowstorm where you know it’ll only be a few days or a week max. The uncertainty is what’s getting everyone.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:22 PM

989 posts, read 456,318 times
I just cancelled my dog walker today. I fees SO bad for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia